NFL OFF-SEASON THREAD 2022-23: FanDuel getting everybody hemmed up. ESPN went Kamikaze. We in that dead zone of the year y’all.

How much will that Lamar brick go for?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
No term limits is the same as NFL owners. See you in 2040 for changes.

I still hold out hope that Amazon or the next platform if not the original Fox/CBS buys the whole thing instead of snippets. I think staggered start times would be crazy fun. It just makes too much sense. Plus Amazon has the secondary stream...I can't see a downside. But bringing in a new voice might help with some changes...MIGHT...

I still hold out hope that Amazon or the next platform if not the original Fox/CBS buys the whole thing instead of snippets. I think staggered start times would be crazy fun. It just makes too much sense. Plus Amazon has the secondary stream...I can't see a downside. But bringing in a new voice might help with some changes...MIGHT...

Amazon or another third-party platform would have to step in to give you staggered start times. Even then, it would be tricky because it would require the Amazon subscription. The appeal of FOX/CBS is that they are basic cable networks. As such, there is just no way I see them disrupting the entire back half of their programming. Beyond the programming, the regional aspect of it would make things nightmarish in terms of airing times in multiple regions throughout Sunday.

Amazon or another streaming platform on the other hand wouldn’t have to worry about that. I think it might largely come down to the results of their studies on how viewership might be affected moving to a paid service vs. cable. For the hardcore fans like us in this thread who watch football all day it would make sense and be awesome but for the average fan who only watches their regional team and maybe one of the more prominent teams that gets “America’s game”, not so much. It will be very interesting to see how this plays out.

There other things you mentioned are no-brainers and should have been done already though so it’s hard to think about them budging on bigger issues :lol: |l

7726544B-A68B-475D-9C7C-ACCCFE62186B.gif

Amazon or another third-party platform would have to step in to give you staggered start times. Even then, it would be tricky because it would require the Amazon subscription. The appeal of FOX/CBS is that they are basic cable networks. As such, there is just no way I see them disrupting the entire back half of their programming. Beyond the programming, the regional aspect of it would make things nightmarish in terms of airing times in multiple regions throughout Sunday.

Amazon or another streaming platform on the other hand wouldn’t have to worry about that. I think it might largely come down to the results of their studies on how viewership might be affected moving to a paid service vs. cable. For the hardcore fans like us in this thread who watch football all day it would make sense and be awesome but for the average fan who only watches their regional team and maybe one of the more prominent teams that gets “America’s game”, not so much. It will be very interesting to see how this plays out.

There other things you mentioned are no-brainers and should have been done already though so it’s hard to think about them budging on bigger issues :lol: |l

Well put. I agree and there's a lot of factors in play. We also don't know what we don't know...but you're right...I was at my mom's last Thursday and I mentioned to my step-dad that the Seahawks game was only on Amazon and he got flustered. Turns out I was wrong, because I forgot they still air regional teams on local broadcast TV for TNF (it was on Fox as well), but it speaks to your point...there's a large segment that don't want there rock (?) moved. (I can't remember the possession term in that expression, but resistance to change expression :lol: )

Between the world cup final and the NFL shenanigans, this was a hell of a day. Wish I caught it live.

I need a 9-5 M-F job man :lol:

It’s hard for the best teams in NFL history to win 9 out of 10 games so I think the Lions lose one of these last 3 but I also think Seattle and Washington have two more losses in them:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2022/upshot/detroit-lions-nfl-playoff-picture.html#&

of the NFC teams in the playoff hunt, Lions might have the most forgiving remaining schedule. getting two out three and finishing 9-8 could be enough.

commanders have SF/Dallas and seattle has chiefs/jets, hell even the giants have a tough 3 game stretch.. biggest question mark is if any of those teams will be resting players

One of my friends who is an Eagles fan sent me this, and I think it’s a terrible take.

I don’t know why we’re acting like we haven’t been here before. Y’all remember Linsanity? Everyone loves a heartwarming underdog story.

If the media is salivating, it’s likely based on the fact that homey was the last pick in the draft, who had no expectations to even make an NFL team and came in to start and is looking decent. He even has that “I don’t look like I belong here but I’m here” appearance. The headlines write themselves.

Jalen hurts was a five star quarterback who contributed to a National championship from Alabama then went on to damn near win a Heisman at Oklahoma to be rightfully picked five rounds ahead of Purdy.

No one in their lives has ever thought Purdy was good as Hurts. They shouldn’t even be mentioned in the same sentence :rofl:

The conversation should really be focused on why is the league trying to force feed another Patrick Mahomes MVP when Jalen is clearly balling.

Last edited:
The conversation should really be focused on why is the league trying to force feed another Patrick Mahomes MVP when Jalen is clearly balling
Mahomes is also having an all-time season and the Eagles have played a really weak schedule. It’s not being force fed at all.

Mahomes is also having an all-time season and the Eagles have played a really weak schedule. It’s not being force fed at all.
Fax. Spectacular season.

The reason I say “force fed” is because it’s almost like you can’t have a candidate other than Mahomes during MVP conversations.

I’d argue that Hurts is having just as good a season.

And I’m not hearing the weak schedule thing. This is the NFL. They didn’t pick their schedule.

Hell, the Chiefs almost lost to the Texans yesterday. You can only play who's put in front of you.

Last edited:
league just ain’t that great this year outside of couple teams

and even certain teams that are having great years, people ain’t trying really give them credit

before the start of the season, the chiefs having the bucs, rams, Denver twice and raiders twice looked a whole lot worse than we now know them to be

and everyone expected the nfc East to be the like the nfc south.. And everyone expected the afc west to the be the division with potential 4 playoff teams, like the nfc East current has a chance at

One of my friends who is an Eagles fan sent me this, and I think it’s a terrible take.

I don’t know why we’re acting like we haven’t been here before. Y’all remember Linsanity? Everyone loves a heartwarming underdog story.

If the media is salivating, it’s likely based on the fact that homey was the last pick in the draft, who had no expectations to even make an NFL team and came in to start and is looking decent. He even has that “I don’t look like I belong here but I’m here” appearance. The headlines write themselves.

Jalen hurts was a five star quarterback who contributed to a National championship from Alabama then went on to damn near win a Heisman at Oklahoma to be rightfully picked five rounds ahead of Purdy.

No one in their lives has ever thought Purdy was good as Hurts. They shouldn’t even be mentioned in the same sentence :rofl:

The conversation should really be focused on why is the league trying to force feed another Patrick Mahomes MVP when Jalen is clearly balling.
Couldn’t have said this any better. 2nd round pick is going to have much greater expectations (especially after leading a team to the playoffs last year) than a player who was picked one pick before possibly becoming an in drafted rookie free agent.

I have watched that Jakobi Meyers play several times on I have to agree with all the Twitter posts saying it was no hyperbole the worst decision/dumbest play they have ever seen. It also took a lot of courage to admit he was doing too much to try to be a hero and he didn’t realize it was a tie but mans knew his job was on the line so he had to make a desperate play (no pun intended). I also think admitting that he didn’t recognize it was tied makes it worse. He just thought since dudes since dudes were lateraling it was whatever :lol:

Couldn’t have said this any better. 2nd round pick is going to have much greater expectations (especially after leading a team to the playoffs last year) than a player who was picked one pick before possibly becoming an in drafted rookie free agent.

Not to take anything away from Purdy’s ability and talent or his potential but he is probably in an ideal situation for a hype storm. Play for the Niners (in general), currently one of the best teams in football, being asked to replace a game manager who got them to that position, looking better than Lance who was the #3 pick the year prior and there is probably more.

In reality, I don’t think they are salivating over him as a prospect because he is essentially just putting up the same numbers as Pretty Jimmy but more so “his story” makes him compelling for the media.

Not to take anything away from Purdy’s ability and talent or his potential but he is probably in an ideal situation for a hype storm. Play for the Niners (in general), currently one of the best teams in football, being asked to replace a game manager who got them to that position, looking better than Lance who was the #3 pick the year prior and there is probably more.

In reality, I don’t think they are salivating over him as a prospect because he is essentially just putting up the same numbers as Pretty Jimmy but more so “his story” makes him compelling for the media.
Yea but again the comment was Jalen had to ball and everyone’s salivating over a few good games for Purdy. Hurts was a 2nd round draft pick who was projected to start at some point, did and took his team to the playoffs.

The expectations for him were always going to be greater than those of a guy who was almost an undrafted free agent. There were no expectations for Purdy because it was unknown if he’d even make the team, let alone be the 3rd string QB that ends up starting. The story is compelling no doubt, but the expectations between the two were never going to be the same.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2022/upshot/detroit-lions-nfl-playoff-picture.html#&

of the NFC teams in the playoff hunt, Lions might have the most forgiving remaining schedule. getting two out three and finishing 9-8 could be enough.

commanders have SF/Dallas and seattle has chiefs/jets, hell even the giants have a tough 3 game stretch.. biggest question mark is if any of those teams will be resting players
If the Lions win Saturday they go to 8-7 while. The Commies and Hawks fall behind them.

I think Dallas is resting dudes from here out. They the only team in the league I think pretty much locked into their spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom