NFL OFF-SEASON THREAD 2022-23: FanDuel getting everybody hemmed up. ESPN went Kamikaze. We in that dead zone of the year y’all.

How much will that Lamar brick go for?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just heard a Dan Graziano segment on ESPN. Allegedly the two sides are "still far apart".

As far as what they are doing, this is a no brainer but it is also an unprecedented situation for Baltimore and owner Steve Bisciotti. They have had been a perennial playoff team and won Super Bowls without having to commit big money to QBs. Even the big Flacco deal was only handed out because he won a Super Bowl on one of the greatest playoff runs of all-time. He is likely uncomfortable with the lack of flexibility they will have to build out a complete roster like they always have. It has the potential to require them to retool their identity in the near future.

I am not condoning their actions but it is just uncomfortable, unchartered territory for this specific franchise.
Wouldn’t a “market” deal still severely hamstring them in the future? I understand them being uncomfortable but even at market rates they probably won't have much flexibility. Given that this is a young QB league and they have one of the elite guys, not sure of their logic. People bash Denver for going all in on Russ but the seasons before he played proved that you have 0 chance in this league unless you have a really good QB.

Wouldn’t a “market” deal still severely hamstring them in the future? I understand them being uncomfortable but even at market rates they probably won't have much flexibility. Given that this is a young QB league and they have one of the elite guys, not sure of their logic. People bash Denver for going all in on Russ but the seasons before he played proved that you have 0 chance in this league unless you have a really good QB.

I 100% agree that at market rate (which is what they will pay via franchise tag @ ~$45MM) they won't have much flexibility...but there are two things that I potentially see weighing on them. First, they have never had to pay market rate and have had "success" so that is part of what is holding them back. Somewhat of a failure to adapt to he times? Second and third, it is the long term commitment. He missed the past two Decembers so they are skeptical. of his durability. This year, for example, I believe they had double digit leads in the fourth quarter game of every game he played but if he's not there in Dec/Jan/Feb then it doesn't really help the franchise. A new OC could help that but who knows.

Again, the points I am presenting aren't valid reasons to not resign him today; rather, I am simply attempting to validate ownership's behavior like a defense attorney. Maybe when it is all said and done I can plead insanity :lol:

This is where the dichotomy begins with the new cap. "Can't pay Daniel Jones $35MM and only pay Lamar $45MM" even if on the tag. Mahomes is the only one with enough power to lead an upheaval and he's Gucci. Damn.

I could see that. Maybe even north on a short deal

Still like 70/30 he stays. Teams are always thirsty

By week 1 Danial Jones at best will be 13 highest Paid QB by yearly avg

i'm curious to see what Carr and Geno get

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom