NFL OFF-SEASON THREAD 2022-23: FanDuel getting everybody hemmed up. ESPN went Kamikaze. We in that dead zone of the year y’all.

How much will that Lamar brick go for?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
As someone that admittedly doesn’t follow the whole league like THAT, there’s actually a collection of people that think Lamar isn’t significantly better than Tua?

Wild thing is, despite not really hitting on the pro bowl type talents, if the Ravens could actually be fully healthy, there’s no reason why they couldn’t be a top 4 type team in the league. Defense was shaky at the beginning of season when the offense was putting up points, despite not having JK. Then they made the Roquan trade which made the defense stout, but Bateman’s injury killed the passing game and then Lamar got hurt.

The offense with Lamar/JK/Bateman/Andrews should work at a pretty high level.

The defense should be good.

Injuries are what they are though.
1000% agree with you. Ravens were going to make noise if injuries didnt hit them

Lamar turned 26 two months ago, I would definitely want him until he’s 29-31 so this is crazy talk.

It wouldn’t be about proving a point. It’s business. No one wants to set that precedent and they want the Watson deal to be looked at as an outlier.
Very true. What’s annoying is that this is an owner created “problem” that Cleveland created. I understand them not wanting to set a precedent but these are the same owners that never want to police their own or get into each other’s business. If the other teams don’t want to pay fully guaranteed deals then that is their choice and that should be handled in the next round of negotiations with the NFLPA. I have a feeling that some owners know that if left to their own devices that more owners would go the Cleveland route than we know so they’d rather do this handshake and wink think amongst themselves than just let a team do what they want or handle it in the next CBA. I would be fine if these teams didn’t come out and make statements yesterday about no interest and that they instead just didn’t offer a fully guaranteed deal. At least respect Lamar and the league enough to hide what you’re doing but that’s not them.

Even Peloton wants to see Lamar get paid 😂
2962F348-83AA-4046-B334-2C4043FEF9F7.jpeg

It wouldn’t be about proving a point. It’s business. No one wants to set that precedent and they want the Watson deal to be looked at as an outlier.
I think my point is that I understand teams not wanting to set a precedent, but I also don’t necessarily believe that a team like the Jets for instance wouldn’t ultimately just say “F it” and offer the full guarantee to him because they think they could win a superbowl with one of the league’s best defenses and Lamar surrounded by some better weapons.

We’ll see I guess.

I think you can make the argument that top 4 of those contracts got owners regretting it.
There’s gotta be a bit of that in the back of the head of owners considering (or not) offering Lamar a deal

I like the loyalty and thought process of keeping the “money in house” with his mom being his agent, but you gotta get a real agent. Take the L of the 5% or whatever they charge but I would think they can easily get you an extra 5-10% more based on their experience alone

I've slept on it...looked at arguments presented and I think in light of guys like Jones getting paid, it begs the question why not Lamar? It's an apples to apples comparison, which I think is reasonable. Specifically the contracts of Watson and Kyler.

My friend and I were debating this yesterday as well (he is with the majority) and he asked me where Lamar would be on a list if I had to win just 1 playoff game...Lamar came in at 8. I can list if you want (* by the perv with a caveat that last season was just a re-acclimation period).

I also think it's reasonable that If you have a top 10 QB, you should do everything you can to secure that guy. Given the above, Lamar should get paid. But quite frankly, that was never my argument.

I'm not the one paying anyone. I'm simply looking at this objectively, aside from player conparisons, based on what I've seen on the field to where I think he goes from here on the football field. In that sense, is where I disagree with others in that I believe we've already seen the best we ever will of Lamar.

Just wanted to clear that up, for what it's worth.

Last edited:
Wild that Mahomes won’t even be Top 5 by the end of the offseason

and that’s why you always pay earl… it might be bad for a year or so

but cap is going continue to go up and other guys are going get paid and other guys going get paid, except lamar

jerruh complaining about dak’s contract just couple days ago and Daniel Jones just signed the same contract

QB is ultimately a premium position. Your Daniel Jones and Geno Smith type guys are getting the bag.

Go back to 2017, Jimmy Garoppolo briefly set the market after 5 games. Andy Dalton was getting paid nicely for the going rate market wise back in 2015-16ish. Even mid to slightly above average guys are getting paid. So Lamar Jackson absolutely should get his bag.

Hell the Ravens goofed dragging this out as long as they did when they could’ve locked him down cheaper. I get the not wanting to give a full guaranteed contract and trying to make the Deshaun Watson deal the exception rather than the norm. But ultimately more elite qb’s are going to have to hold out for fully guaranteed contracts. If it’s just Lamar doing it. They can play hardball. But if other top qb’s are showing the same energy when it comes to negotiations. It forces their hand in the long run.

How long before Mahomes asks or holds out for a new deal?

probably like another 2 years.. but the reason you give a long contract is so you can use the contract contract as a means to work the cap

since the bonus hits can be spread over the length of the cap.. so you add in more/new money and keep his cap figure low

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom