NFL OFF-SEASON THREAD 2022-23: FanDuel getting everybody hemmed up. ESPN went Kamikaze. We in that dead zone of the year y’all.

How much will that Lamar brick go for?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Many Vikings fans wanted to keep Keenum and thought we were overpaying Cousins. It makes sense that that was his contract, at that time.

Yeah but c’mon man. We all know he’s a bridge QB. If Denver had “faith” in him, he would’ve gotten a 4-140+ type deal.
Yea but he was the starting QB and took a below market deal for a starting QB :lol:. I hear what you’re saying but this game really ain’t about fairness. RBs are less valuable and play a more taxing position, so get cycled through with a shorter shelf life. Game is the game so you gotta max out your earnings when you can.

Yea but he was the starting QB and took a below market deal for a starting QB :lol:. I hear what you’re saying but this game really ain’t about fairness. RBs are less valuable and play a more taxing position, so get cycled through with a shorter shelf life. Game is the game so you gotta max out your earnings when you can.

I agree my boy, I just hate seeing some journeyman named Todd Thomas or Michael Williams making more than Chubb or Barkley :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Crazy as hell bruh :lol:

In a pass happy and friendly league it kind of makes sense that the folks, passing (Lamar), catching (Cheetah) and protecting the passer (Tunsil) make the most money. Same with the players rushing the passer on the defensive side of the ball (Donald).

You can’t really compare it to the NBA where the positions are fluid and players play both sides of the ball. Some football positions are just inherently more valuable. Also, because there is no cap on a single contract like the NBA, the market dictates the value for each position as we have been seeing every offseason with the QBs.

In a pass happy and friendly league it kind of makes sense that the folks, passing (Lamar), catching (Cheetah) and protecting the passer (Tunsil) make the most money. Same with the players rushing the passer on the defensive side of the ball (Donald).

You can’t really compare it to the NBA where the positions are fluid and players play both sides of the ball. Some football positions are just inherently more valuable. Also, because there is no cap on a single contract like the NBA, the market dictates the value for each position as we have been seeing every offseason with the QBs.

We aren’t talking about all pros like ‘Mar, Cheetah or Laremy Tunsil. Talking about bridge QBs or dudes who ride the pine. Or any position where dudes don’t make pro bowls and whatnot, but get paid.

Josh jacobs or Saquon shouldn’t have to threaten to sit out

Shaq Thompson has never made a pro bowl or all pro. Not saying he isn’t a good LB. But his deal was 4 years, 54 million, but I digress.

Last edited:
Brandon Jacobs back in the league!?!?
436FD209-7722-4E21-B207-CEFB4D39795F.gif

Sounds like Saquon and Jacobs been texting each either :lol:

they’re not wrong though. hate that the RB market has been diminished, but from a team perspective i understand it too.

Let me preface this by saying I want Saquon back. But the giants have also offered more than that per year, 13+ that was reported. He said he doesn’t want to reset the market yet anything more than that offer resets the market. I’m all about them getting their money but he’s also saying things and doing the opposite

The only reason to play RB is that on most levels you’re the main guy on the team.

But as we’re seeing now, RB is a bad investment for teams and the athlete themselves.

Anyone with the athletic profile fitting of a RB needs to go ahead and play CB or WR early on.

If I was a GM I wouldn’t give Saquon or Josh anything beyond a two year deal. We’ve seen all these big RB paydays backfire and the nature of the game is so different that I’d rather have a 10-12 ish QB than the best RB in the league.

The only reason to play RB is that on most levels you’re the main guy on the team.

But as we’re seeing now, RB is a bad investment for teams and the athlete themselves.

Anyone with the athletic profile fitting of a RB needs to go ahead and play CB or WR early on.

If I was a GM I wouldn’t give Saquon or Josh anything beyond a two year deal. We’ve seen all these big RB paydays backfire and the nature of the game is so different that I’d rather have a 10-12 ish QB than the best RB in the league.

I mean, the “good” RBs nowadays are multi-dimensional. McCaffrey, Saquon, Kamara, etc usually catch, run AND pass protect but hey, they’re not needed.

Dalvin, Chubb and Henry also are decent pass catchers.

Bijan Robinson went top 10 because he can catch.

People say the Patriots didn’t need a RB but White was a RB who was lethal in the passing game and a great blocker.

The NFL “doesn’t need” RBs anymore until it’s time to pay.

No team will ever run an empty set, why? Because you NEED a good RB in pass protection.

That’s why Leveon Bell held out. People talk about RBs being limited, but never watch tape of them pass protecting or catching passes out the backfield :lol: :lol:

Since the NFL doesn’t need RBs, they may as well do 7 on 7 style, all shotgun with no RBs. Let’s see how many QBs finish the season healthy with D-Lineman t’ing off on them without a good RB in pass protection.

See Fournette/Tom Brady…

when is the last time you watched a game

I'm saying man :lol: He's going too far with the "doesn't need a RB" narrative like the poster in the NBA thread does with ratings and Mike Malone/The Lakers talk :lol:

The fact that those guys can do multiple-dimensional doesn't negate the fact that there are younger, lower-cost options after a certain point that are multi-dimensional as well.

I believe the Giants offered him ~$14MM per year is below CMAC and Kamara but above the tag and what the other highly regarded RBs are getting. That seems reasonable, especially if he truly isn't trying to reset the market.

The running back position is just not worth allocating significant resources to. It sucks for the stars of the position but you're not going to give one player $13M/year when you could sign a committee of guys for a combined $8M/year and get similar production.

Every sport has had a play style/position that's been devalued due to advances in the game.

personally i would diminish the role of a specific slot guy as well and merge the 2 roles of primary TB and designated slot guy

but i would want to maximize matchups.. i want both my 'outside' WRs getting snap slots, and my TEs and my RB

but i'd also want to have multiple guys active in getting handoffs and getting screen passes

but get a cheaper guy for depth who could get 10-15 carries.. but my main guy, i'd want a guy who could get 70 catches and around 200 carries per year and more of a weapon on the field that provides options

I'm saying man :lol: He's going too far with the "doesn't need a RB" narrative like the poster in the NBA thread does with ratings and Mike Malone/The Lakers talk :lol:

The fact that those guys can do multiple-dimensional doesn't negate the fact that there are younger, lower-cost options after a certain point that are multi-dimensional as well.

I believe the Giants offered him ~$14MM per year is below CMAC and Kamara but above the tag and what the other highly regarded RBs are getting. That seems reasonable, especially if he truly isn't trying to reset the market.

The average NFL career span is 3.3 years. A “good to great” RB usually rushes for 10,000+ yards. Say they come in at 22 years old, they’re good for 7-10 years of their career. I’m specifically talk about the elite guys. The All Pros and Pro Bowlers, the dudes with HOF potential.

But cool.

We aren’t talking about guys who peak for 2 or 3 years like David Johnson.

We’re talk the Marshawns, APs, Chubbs, Derrick Henry, McCaffrey, etc.

Marshawn made 56 million throughout his career.

As far as pass pro, teams have also adopted using a TE in the backfield. The giants actually did that to allow Saquon to be a bigger pass threat outside of a screen. Teams use so much misdirection that needing a RB to pass pro isn’t a necessity. For most of Saquon’s time with the giants, they had another RB come on to pass pro because that wasn’t his strength.

personally i would diminish the role of a specific slot guy as well and merge the 2 roles of primary TB and designated slot guy

but i would want to maximize matchups.. i want both my 'outside' WRs getting snap slots, and my TEs and my RB

but i'd also want to have multiple guys active in getting handoffs and getting screen passes

but get a cheaper guy for depth who could get 10-15 carries.. but my main guy, i'd want a guy who could get 70 catches and around 200 carries per year and more of a weapon on the field that provides options

Well said my brother. Add pass protection too. That’s partly why Zeke got paid and partly why Pollard was more or the pass catcher.

Zeke simply didn’t take care of his body. You can’t tell me Zeke wasn’t out there playing at 240. Heck, maybe 250. He always looked bloated and had bad conditioning. That was all on him.

He was a young rookie. Like 20/21 years old. Ran a 4.4 at the combine. Zeke’s playing weight should’ve been 215

The running back position is just not worth allocating significant resources to. It sucks for the stars of the position but you're not going to give one player $13M/year when you could sign a committee of guys for a combined $8M/year and get similar production.

Every sport has had a play style/position that's been devalued due to advances in the game.

See the Chiefs since 15 became the starter. 3rd rounder in Kareem Hunt, Damien Williams, Jet McKinnon and now Pacheco who got drafted in the 7th. Not to mention a hodge podge of guys like Charcandrick West, Spencer Ware and Darrel Williams.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom