NFL Week 1 In Review...Ya'll Gonna Get This Work...

Because it's never been about the talent for SD. They've always had the talent to make a deep postseason run, more in previous years than they do now. The bottom line is that Norv Turner is a terrible leader of men, does a poor job of making in-game adjustments, and Rivers hasn't had the playoff performances (outside of one game) they needed him to. Sure Rivers can turn it around to a degree, but I've seen enough of Norv to know it's not going to be enough for SD to have a legit shot at the SB. No bias.
I agree with Norv being a poor leader. He's always historically been a better and more successful OC than HC.

I still think SD challenges Denver for the division.

Trust me, I love Phil Rivers....But they didn't spend the past decade being twice as loaded as they are now and doing nothing with it to all of a sudden being contenders. That D isn't great, Ryan Matthews is mediocre, Vincent JAckson is gone, Antonio Gates is injured every week...They ain't going anywhere.
Jets are more realistic than the Chargers. Jets have the best secondary in the league at least and improved line play. If Sanchez can keep the good play up they'll be in the playoffs easily especially with a cupcake schedule.
Agreed that the defense isn't as strong as the Merriman and SP glory days. But Gates in finally healthy and hopefully remains that way for all 16. V-Jax was replaced by Meach and Royal, competent receivers. Vincent Brown has talent. Brinkley adds another dimension.

I'm not riding with the Jets at all. That Week 1 performance was a mirage. Their defense isn't feared anymore, nor is it as strong as their two postseason runs. Sanchez and Tebow aren't good enough to win the NYJ a wildcard spot. Greene is good, nowhere near great.

So tell me why not.
Antonio Gates revolutionized the TE position before Gronk and Jimmy were even relevant. Paved the way for basketball-type athletes to play TE effectively. I believe in a bounce back campaign for Phil Rivers. He's an elite QB for me, top-tier in the second group after the obvious choices.
Norv is a good play-caller (OC) if nothing else as a HC.
Wait until Ryan Matthews returns, who is arguably on the cusp of making the push into the top-10 for RBs. Can run, catch, block. Speed, power. I like the kid as you can tell.

This man by the name of Tony Gonzalez wants a word.

an Antonio Gates may be on the decline. Last night is about as stoppable as I've seen him look against the Raiders in almost a decade.. and he's supposedly healthy?

Last edited:
Anyone else as bothered with teams flinging it around 40-50x a game and the running game being completely ignored nowadays? I know rule changes and the game itself favor a passing league now but it just feels weird. Making me appreciate the 49ers. They're at least physical.

This man by the name of Tony Gonzalez wants a word.
Tony certainly laid groundwork for future TEs, but he's a different player than Antonio Gates. You're telling me Finley and Jimmy follow the Antonio mold more or the Tony mold more?

Anyone else as bothered with teams flinging it around 40-50x a game and the running game being completely ignored nowadays? I know rule changes and the game itself favor a passing league now but it just feels weird. Making me appreciate the 49ers. They're at least physical.
Reminds me of "The Bus" days when the Steelers would just pound the rock and play physical defense.

Or the Larry Johnson's that got excessive carries on their bodies over a season or two.

No more room on the bandwagon. If you weren't with us when we were an almost guaranteed win on an opponents schedule, your fandom is not needed.

just playing

just one thing to add to the reed/lott debate...reed does it in an era where it's easier to pass the ball. can't touch anyone as a defensive player, as y'all always like to point out in the QB debates. that has to count for something...

that also gives reed more chances at INTs though...so maybe it evens out

Last edited:
Cam Cameron finally let the chans off Flacco ..

and look what happened :smokin

Ed Reed :smokin

Ray Lewis still using that hit stick :smokin

Ray Rice is NOT Chris Johnson .. He still balling like he want a new contract

David Pitta And Ed Dickson :smokin :smokin

Boldin and Smith :smokin :smokin

And for people saying it's the Bengals .. they did make the playoffs last year , they are not trash as you like to perceive them to be ..

Anywho , We in here to **** some **** up ..

Mike Vick is a dead man come sunday , he wanna keep attempting to be something he's not :lol:

Our Run Defense looked terrible :smh: , but we'll get it together

Are Schedule is some 300 Sparta **** tho .. :x

just one thing to add to the reed/lott debate...reed does it in an era where it's easier to pass the ball. can't touch anyone as a defensive player, as y'all always like to point out in the QB debates. that has to count for something...
that also gives reed more chances at INTs though...

reed also plays center field :nerd:

Reminds me of "The Bus" days when the Steelers would just pound the rock and play physical defense.
Or the Larry Johnson's that got excessive carries on their bodies over a season or two.

Miss those days...

Which is why I like watching SF, play the style of football I prefer

How does it being easy to pass make it easier on Reed. The fact that dbs can't touch a receiver should make it harder.
But I'm on Team Lott, just don't get that reasoning.

How does it being easy to pass make it easier on Reed. The fact that dbs can't touch a receiver should make it harder.
But I'm on Team Lott, just don't get that reasoning.

He's saying that it's harder than what Lott faced, but he's evening it out by saying it may help add some INT's.

Lott wouldn't be able to hit nobody in this era like he did back then. Nobody would. Could he adapt? Sure he probably could but it's worth mentioning the era's/styles they played in. Same as a Wilt/Shaq debate would be like.

^
Agreed. And Reed's only playmaking isn't just picks. He does many many things for that defense and always has. His game is just a bit different than Lott's.

Deion and Revis are same, but different too in a sense, aren't they? Both lock it down, but once Deion gets the ball, the world changes compared to how Revis handles it. Whereas Revis does a bit better on making a tackle than Deion would, even tho Deion wasn't as soft as he was labeled. Both premier, but different ways of making their impacts. That's how I see Lott/Reed

how does a guy run a 4.2 and is Never in position to make a play

Burnt by Boldin :smh: :x

Got himself yanked at halftime

how does a guy run a 4.2 and is Never in position to make a play
Burnt by Boldin :smh: :x
Got himself yanked at halftime

I said the same thing to everyone I talked to about the game. He has all the physical tools but can't utilize it on the field.

I just hope they don't stick Nate back there too much.

Rey Mauluga. Its a contract year and that's how you start it? :smh:

I do wonder if Dre Kirkpatrick can truly contribute this year seeing as he's missed so much already.

I like what I saw from the offense though. They had to scrap the game plan once the defense started leaking fluid though.

I didn't see many of his college games but how good was Vontaze? Seriously? I know he had 1st round potential.

Last edited:
Can you even imagine Hines hitting Lott and smashing him like he did with Reed? Lott would kill him...perhaps literally. I give the nod to Ronnie due to his physicality, absolutely made guys terrified, not just the QB. But Reed is still awesome and a HOFer when done. Enjoy it, and please retire Ed and Ray

I don't see Dre doing much this year but should get time and hit the ground running next year

I could have come in and long snapped better than that dude did... Seriously I did it in HS.

Him saying that it was off the dirt so it was harder was kind of BS... The surface really shouldn't matter, you're lifting up on the football before you sail it back to the Punter.

Yo for reals, 90% of all Lott's hits would be flagged in today's NFL. Lott was that dude. I might be a Steelers fan, but Lott is my all time favorite player. Just like homey said in The Incredibles, "Old school like the old school"... Even though he wouldn't be able to tackle like he did back then, he could easily play today because of his coverage skills. He had everything intelligence, ability, speed, etc. I think Ickey Woods is still feeling that hit, seriously...

^ i watched the vid...the first couple of hits had me like, "wait i remember this dude being VICIOUS" :lol:

but then they got to it and it was like, ahhh that's the guy we all remember

I remember Cris Collinsworth telling a story on how Lott had the Bengals kind timid about coming across the middle. He said he wasn't too scarred until he got rocked & was like whoa now I know what they're talking about...

Here's a snippet from a piece the LA Times did on him back in April 2011 -

More specific to the topic is that Lott was not just a hard hitter, but a fearless warrior. The stories are legendary:

• Lott tackling Washington ******** star receiver Art Monk, in Monk's 15th season, so hard that, as Monk told the Sporting News, the hit "pretty much messed me up for my career."

• Lott coming to the sidelines in the 1989 Super Bowl against the Cincinnati Bengals and telling teammates he would put a stop to Ickey Woods running all over the 49ers. That he did, according to 49ers defensive coordinator Ray Rhodes, with one massive hit that took the steam out of Woods the rest of the way.

But the pinky finger story remains the image that has stuck.

Late in the 1985 season, he was involved in such a brutal hit on running back Tim Newsome that it literally tore off parts of Lott's left pinky. Legend has it that part of his skin and bone fragments were left on the field. He played the rest of the game, taped it up for the next (and final) game of the season and played that one too.

Then, in the off-season he faced the choice of intricate finger surgery and possibly missed playing time, or amputation of the tip of his finger. He chose amputation and played on for six more years.

http://articles.latimes.com/2011/apr/18/sports/la-sp-dwyre-20110419

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom