NFL Week 1 In Review...Ya'll Gonna Get This Work...

Anyone else as bothered with teams flinging it around 40-50x a game and the running game being completely ignored nowadays? I know rule changes and the game itself favor a passing league now but it just feels weird. Making me appreciate the 49ers. They're at least physical.

I hate it, its not real football to me. I'm all for ground and pound and hard nosed defense.

I still love the damn sport with all my heart though.

I'm not sure if i would go as far as saying it's not real football. It's just a change in style. As defenses load up on pass rushers and defensive backs, teams will eventually go back to running and a more balanced attack. The game changes as teams adapt to what's been successful (the freak receiving TEs right now, for example). No team likes to pass the ball 40-50 times a game. I don't care how successful they are at it. I do think teams will abandon the run more quickly now if it's not working, but they try to make it work. People also see the insane passing yards and assume teams don't care to run at all. Not true. I can say for NE last year, Brady had around 600 attempts and as a team we rushed it about 450 times. It's not 1 to 1, obviously. But what's that, like 45% run?

I realize that's just one team, but it's one of the big passing offenses in the league. We've made a conscious effort to run this year as well. I do think you'll see teams swing back to more balanced offenses in a couple of years. My two cents on it.

Man, I was looking through box scores and seeing all these guys with 40-50 attempts like???

I understand a guy like Roethlisberger because Pitt isn't really built to run the ball right now, but with teams like the Eagles what in God's name is Andy Reid doing.

how many times did vick target mccoy? reid used westbrook just as much as a receiver...just curious as to how much mccoy was targeted as a receiver.

EDIT: 6 grabs on 9 targets. mccoy's "rank" as a top back is based on his receiving ability as well. i would think so, at least

Last edited:
how many times did vick target mccoy? reid used westbrook just as much as a receiver...just curious as to how much mccoy was targeted as a receiver.
EDIT: 6 grabs on 9 targets. mccoy's "rank" as a top back is based on his receiving ability as well. i would think so, at least

while i get that perception of it.

reid used to target westbrook alot cause he below average WRs.

D-Jax and Mac9 are more than capable WRs along with Celek in the TE spot

Vick throwing more than 30 times a game is :x

Shady is great weapon out the backfield, but hes a RB 1st and foremost thats a big play every time he touches the ball.

It was only a couple RBs that broke 100 yards rushing in week 1 :smh:

I know :smh: I understand throwing a lot if the running game is getting stuffed (Texans), if you barely run the ball anyway (Pats), or pretty much don't have RBs (Lions, Steelers), but so many of these other teams had all kinds of chances to run the ball. No wonder there were so many INTs this opening week.

how does a guy run a 4.2 and is Never in position to make a play
Burnt by Boldin
mean.gif
sick.gif

Got himself yanked at halftime
And QBs know how hard he bites on play action. First play, play action and Mays bites. 52 yarder to Torrey Smith. Dude is awful. He'll get picked on all year as long as he's back there.

I know :smh: I understand throwing a lot if the running game is getting stuffed (Texans), if you barely run the ball anyway (Pats), or pretty much don't have RBs (Lions, Steelers), but so many of these other teams had all kinds of chances to run the ball. No wonder there were so many INTs this opening week.

we ran for over a 100 yards, only threw it 32 times this past week. see my previous post, where the pats ran it 40-45% of the time last year.

It's time for the first Tommy Dumppass award of the 2012 season!

As many of you know, the New England Patriots set a record for YAC last season. Mr. Brady would dump the ball across the middle and his receivers would do everything in their power to fight for yards. A record that stood for almost 20 years was broken, and a new King of Checkdown's was born.

This season, we'll track it from week to week and see if someone can unseat Tom "Uggs" Brady from the throne.

Leading off is someone new to the NFL... the NFC Offensive Player of the Week...

*drum roll*

Robert Griffin III!

The ******** amassed an incredible 206 yards after catch this week. Before injury, Pierre Garcon was on pace for 400 receiving yards! Incredible.

Coming in second were the Titans with 159 YAC. Jake "Knuckleball" Locker and Nate Washington developed quite the repertoire - Jake would ugly duck that thing in there, and Nasty Nate would take it 40 yards. Way to go!

Third place goes to James Jones and Randall Cobb -- err, I mean, the Green Bay Packers with 157 yards.

Good job, fellas.

No mention of Peyton Manning's 71 yard 5 foot pass, I'm shocked. :lol:

Peyton Manning threw for 253 yards. Denver Broncos has 129 YAC. Broncos weren't even top 5.
Tom Brady threw for 236 yards. New England Patriots had 111 YAC.

Need any more info, sir?

Last edited:
Yes, please tell me how YAC has ANYTHING to do with dump passes. Other than your made up view of them. :lol:

Your whole connection of YAC to dump offs is baseless and a cheap way to target the QB that's better than your favorite. Just come out with it already. For instance, the RGIII 88 yarder, ton of YAC, not a dump pass. So what're we doin here? He had plenty of screens and short passes, sure, but not every pass that gains some YAC is a dump pass, when are you going to get that and quit harping on it?

So more than half of Peytons yards came from YAC and less than half of Bradys did. So whats your point ? Im confused :lol:

Since you seem to be confused, here is a definition:
YAC (or yards after catch) is the term used in American football for the distance gained by a receiver after catching a pass.Specifically, it is the forward yardage gained from the spot of the reception until the receiver is downed, runs out of bounds, scores, or loses the ball. YAC is sometimes referred to as RAC for Run After Catch.

I am posting statistics. If you have a problem with them, please feel free to correct the numbers.

NooEra -- CP asked about the Broncos, so I posted it for him. I put up the Patriots to save him the time of looking them up.

I like the stats, they are good stats, and posting them in here is fine.

So then, you don't need to use the term dumppass anymore then, right? Since I have showed you that the phrase is meaningless and completely far from the truth of the matter, yes? You can now search for a new fun name to use to mock Brady and the like?

QBs don't get any credit for YAC? There's nothing to be said about finding the RIGHT receiver who can gain some yardage even after the throw?

You're using it as a negative when it should actually be the opposite.

The stats are fine the problem is theyre not really relevant in evaluating talent. Like, are you saying Tom Brady sucks? And if thats the case, does Peyton Manning suck too brcause Demaryius Thomas is a beast and broke out for a large gain? Thats just how it goes. The Pats have a nasty recieving core but no true, prime Randy Moss type deep threat. Therefore they look to throw the ball short. I dont see the problem :lol:

we ran for over a 100 yards, only threw it 32 times this past week. see my previous post, where the pats ran it 40-45% of the time last year.

I know Ridley ran for like 125 this week, but I still don't see how the Pats even had that % last year. I would have thought they were using screens and short dump passes as their running game all that time.

I like the stats, they are good stats, and posting them in here is fine.
So then, you don't need to use the term dumppass anymore then, right? Since I have showed you that the phrase is meaningless and completely far from the truth of the matter, yes? You can now search for a new fun name to use to mock Brady and the like?

Nope, but thanks! Your opinion is noted.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom