NFL's statement to players: "No more tackling."

[h1]NFL talks hits, potential rules changes[/h1]

Associated Press

The NFL will be more aggressive in suspending players next season for illegal hits, and also could make changes to instant replay and kickoffs.

[h4]Clayton: Expect Kickoff Proposal To Pass[/h4]
clayton_john_m.jpg
The proposed rule changes may seriously impact return games, but ESPN.com's John Clayton still expects them to pass. Story

• Blog: NFL Nation weighs in on changes

Ray Anderson, the league's chief disciplinarian, said Wednesday in a conference call that repeat offenders or players committing flagrant illegal hits will have a much greater chance of being suspended during the 2011 season.

No suspensions were handed down in 2010 even after the NFL's crackdown on such hits, in part because "we were operating under the principle unless you have given sufficient advance notice of what the results could be, you need to be more lenient," Anderson said.

"Frankly, now that the notice has been given, players and coaches and clubs are very aware of what the emphasis is and we won't have that hesitation," Anderson said. "Everyone will be very clearly on notice now that a suspension is very viable for us and we will exercise it ... when it comes to illegal hits to the head and neck area and to defenseless players."

The NFL increased the amount on its fines for such hits last year after a series of fouls on one October weekend. Pittsburgh Steelers linebacker James Harrison was fined $75,000 for one such tackle, while Atlanta Falcons cornerback Dunta Robinson and New England Patriots safety Brandon Meriweather were docked $50,000 for hits to defenseless opponents that weekend.

[h4]Highlights of NFL conference call[/h4]
nfl.gif
ILLEGAL HITS
NFL to be more aggressive with suspensions for illegal hits next season. Rules defining defenseless players expanded to eight categories:

• QB in act of throwing
• Receiver trying to catch pass
• Runner in grasp with forward progress stopped
• Player fielding punt or kickoff
• Kicker or punter during kick
• QB after change of possession
• Receiver who receives blind-side block
• Player already on ground

KICKOFF CHANGES?
• Competition committee will propose moving kickoff to 35-yard line, and bringing touchback out to 25. No changes for touchbacks on any other plays, with ball coming out to 20.
• No player other than kicker would be allowed to line up more than 5 yards behind ball.
• Outlawing wedge on kickoffs; all blocking wedges were reduced to two players in 2009.

REPLAY CHANGES?
• Committee will propose making all scoring plays reviewable. Replay official would order replays on any touchdowns, field goals, safeties and extra points without the coaches needing to challenge. Similar to current system for final two minutes of each half and overtime.
• Eliminating third coach's challenge if he is successful on first two.

NFL SCHEDULE
NFL plans to release regular-season schedule in mid-April, despite current work stoppage.

NO-GO
There will be no "Calvin Johnson rule" proposal on what is a catch.

Many more fines were implemented throughout the remainder of last season but no player was suspended, even though suspensions were considered, Anderson said.

"We want to be much more clear on what can be a suspendable incident," Anderson said. "The emphasis is on head and neck hits and what a defenseless player is. And we will work hard that people understand what is a repeat offender and what is a flagrant foul."

The league looks at two years worth of plays to determined repeat offenders.

Rules defining a defenseless player will be expanded and now will include eight categories:

• A quarterback in the act of throwing;

• A receiver trying to catch a pass;

• A runner already in the grasp of tacklers and having his forward progress stopped;

• A player fielding a punt or a kickoff;

• A kicker or punter during the kick;

• A quarterback at any time after change of possession;

• A receiver who receives a blind-side block;

• A player already on the ground.

At next week's owners meetings in New Orleans, the competition committee will propose moving the kickoff up to the 35-yard line, and bringing a touchback out to the 25. There would be no changes for touchbacks on any other plays, with the ball coming out to the 20.

No player other than the kicker would be allowed to line up more than 5 yards behind the ball, and the committee will suggest outlawing the wedge on kickoffs; all blocking wedges were reduced to two players in 2009.

"The injury rate on kickoffs remains a real concern for us and the players and the coaches' subcommittee," said Falcons president Rich McKay, the chairman of the competition committee. "This is a pretty major change."

So would be making all scoring plays reviewable, another proposal the committee will bring to the owners on Monday. This change would empower the replay official to order replays on any touchdowns, field goals, safeties and extra points without the coaches needing to challenge. It would be similar to the current system for the final two minutes of each half and for overtime. It also would mirror what colleges do on scoring plays for entire games.

Eliminating a third coach's challenge if he is successful on the first two also will be proposed; McKay said the third challenge rarely was used.

There will be no "Calvin Johnson rule" proposal on what is a catch. Johnson seemingly made a touchdown reception late in the Lions' season opener last September, but had it ruled incomplete because, with the ball still in his hand, it touched the ground as he raced off to celebrate. McKay's committee is only recommending a further clarification of the rules on such receptions.

"We confirmed a rule that has been there for more than 70 years which basically says there are three elements to a catch," McKay said. "Secure the ball in your hands; maintain control when have you two feet down or any body part other than the hands [are down]; and we will write it into the rules that you must control the ball long enough after 'A' and 'B' [to] enable you to perform any act common to the game. That doesn't mean you have to perform the act, but must have the ability to.

"Would Calvin Johnson's be a catch under 2011 rules? Our answer would be no."

NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said the league plans to release the regular-season schedule in mid-April, despite the current work stoppage.

"A specific date is not set," Aiello said. "We plan to do what we normally do."

• QB in act of throwing

What is this BS? 

Originally Posted by DaJoka004

• QB in act of throwing

What is this BS? 

seriously!!!!
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

Might as well just take out their pads too and replace them with pillows.....

Originally Posted by DaJoka004

• QB in act of throwing
What is this BS? 
That, my good sir, is baseball.

Can't be football.  Just can't be.

The worst one of all of those has to be the "QB in act of throwing"

So now when a defender sees a QB start to throw the ball, or is in the process of trying to deliver a pass, they have to stop and just let him do it?

I honestly dont even think after this and AP's flub, that I will watch this game anymore ... Hockey is so much better it's astounding ...

And we thought the NBA was going soft. smh. Why would they even consider all this nonsense especially since the lock out

Originally Posted by GuttaGetsBusy

The worst one of all of those has to be the "QB in act of throwing"

So now when a defender sees a QB start to throw the ball, or is in the process of trying to deliver a pass, they have to stop and just let him do it?

sick.gif
alien.gif

Wonder what guys like LT and **** Butkus have to say about these developments.

So, QB's can essentially draw a foul/flag if they feel they're about to get sacked.

Lame. Passing yards, receiving yards, and points scored will hit all-time highs.

I like the idea of changing kickoffs. But this defenseless player thing has gone a lttle too far and they all favor the offense. To me these are the only ones that are defenseless acts

• A runner already in the grasp of tacklers and having his forward progress stopped;
• A player fielding a punt

• A kicker or punter during the kick;

• A player already on the ground.

I find it crazy that a reciever give a blind side block but cant recieve one....Wow!

All these rules are made by suits who`ve never even played the game or been in a tough situation in their lives.

Wowwwwwwwwwwwww. I'd never thought I'd see the day where I begin to really despise the NFL. This is amazingly ridiculous. "QB in the act of throwing" Thats 99% of what they do!!!!!!!!!! A QB is defenseless on change of possesion?! So if my D get an INT and the QB comes to try and make a tackle, no one can block him???? Maybe I'm confused on that one. And while their at it, eliminating the third challenge? just because its rarely used? If it's really used leave the @#$!^*$ thing, just makes it sound like their nit picking at b.s. And of all the things they're not reviewing, CJ's Catch........
tired.gif
indifferent.gif

Is it me, or in the last five years has the NFL done nothing but make up new rules to @#$% with? 
grin.gif

Goodell needs to be removed from life already.  This is getting ridiculous.  And the grimy thing is, he does this during a potential work stoppage, so the backlash won't even be as bad.  Won't be til we actually see Football again before we all realize just how much the rules have changed. 

Someone get Tagliabue (sp) on the phone. 

Originally Posted by CP1708

Is it me, or in the last five years has the NFL done nothing but make up new rules to @#$% with? 
grin.gif

Goodell needs to be removed from life already.  This is getting ridiculous.  And the grimy thing is, he does this during a potential work stoppage, so the backlash won't even be as bad.  Won't be til we actually see Football again before we all realize just how much the rules have changed. 

Someone get Tagliabue (sp) on the phone. 

Thats why I hate Goodell. Hes a coroprate suit that symbolizes what is wrong about the NFL becoming big business. He reminds me of those big businessman guys at Enron or Lehman Brothers, just all about money at all costs. Thats why this whole lockout thing is going on. Suits wanna get more money since their other schemes arent making money like they used to.

So as long as a pass play is dialed up for a checkdown or pass to the flat 3rd and 4th downs with short yardage will almost always be converted?
30t6p3b.gif

Originally Posted by airmaxpenny1

Wouldn't the easiet thing to decrease the violence in the game would be to put a weight limit?
I see what you're trying get at but no.

Originally Posted by HAM CITY

Originally Posted by airmaxpenny1

Wouldn't the easiet thing to decrease the violence in the game would be to put a weight limit?
I see what you're trying get at but no.

I think it would help alot if they put a weight limit on every position but thats not happening.

Back
Top Bottom