NFL's statement to players: "No more tackling."

Unbelievable
tired.gif

Originally Posted by Jay02

Why do the feel the need to mess everything up when its fine the way it is.
So we should just ignore all the former players that are coming out from the shadows with dementia and ALS?  Ignore those that fall into deep depression, due to head injuries that eventually lead to suicide?  Ignore the players that are screaming for attention to fix or at least get decent care for their broken bodies?

There is a reason why a lot of former players wont even let their children play football.

I don't like the rule changes, but Goodell is staring down the barrel of the gun right now.  None of this stuff was in the forefront when Tags was the commish

Is it me, or in the last five years has the NFL done nothing but make up new rules to @#$% with?
The voice of former players struggling both physically and mentally has gotten louder over the past five years.  It's not a coincidence.

As fans, yes it sucks, but I get it.  We are not the ones out there getting hurt.  It's easy to say from the comfort of our couches,
laugh.gif

I love football, CFB more than the NFL, but I love it.  However, I cringe when I read stories of former players reduced to vegetables.

But can these collisions be avoided when 2 people are playing at full speed ?

I see the safety aspects of it, but I feel like guys can get hurt not going 100 on the field, i dk, tough line to draw

wow, so is it now playground football? You have to yell blitz and count to 3? Once the quarterback starts his throwing motion what do you do? Stop and say 'eh maybe next time'. SMH

Originally Posted by ooIRON MANoo

Originally Posted by Jay02

Why do the feel the need to mess everything up when its fine the way it is.
So we should just ignore all the former players that are coming out from the shadows with dementia and ALS?  Ignore those that fall into deep depression, due to head injuries that eventually lead to suicide?  Ignore the players that are screaming for attention to fix or at least get decent care for their broken bodies?

There is a reason why a lot of former players wont even let their children play football.

I don't like the rule changes, but Goodell is staring down the barrel of the gun right now.  None of this stuff was in the forefront when Tags was the commish

Is it me, or in the last five years has the NFL done nothing but make up new rules to @#$% with?
The voice of former players struggling both physically and mentally has gotten louder over the past five years.  It's not a coincidence.

As fans, yes it sucks, but I get it.  We are not the ones out there getting hurt.  It's easy to say from the comfort of our couches,
laugh.gif

I love football, CFB more than the NFL, but I love it.  However, I cringe when I read stories of former players reduced to vegetables.

I agree, these head injuries are no joke and I don't have a problem with being proactive about it.

However, the rule for when the QB is in his throwing motion is too ridiculous. Helmet to helmet contact was enough to suffice for QB's avoiding these head injuries. Once in place, there shouldn't be a need to have to avoid the QB in the form of a fundamental tackle just because he is in the act of throwing. That's silly and beyond the scope of this issue.

It's trial and error with this stuff I guess, but that one will not work.

Dang, pretty soon you're not going to be able to breath on QBs. The hitting a player on the ground is cool, because why would you need to hit them?

There HAS to be violence in football. Its not meant to be the NBA. We NEED to see contact. Some of the rules are just seem picked form a hat after a while.

Originally Posted by nawlinsjunkie

Originally Posted by HAM CITY

Originally Posted by Mister Friendly

I think it would help alot if they put a weight limit on every position but thats not happening.
To decrease the force of impacts right? Should we put a cap on 40 times to? I just don't see it as an appropriate solution to the problem.
Besides, corners and safeties aren't that much bigger than WRs. Sometimes they're even smaller.
 I was about to agree with putting a weight limit on defense but some RBs/QBs are huge as well. Many RBs are short but they're not small, they're built like trucks (like MJD). 5'7 210 pounds 
eek.gif

laugh.gif
 I'm 5'8 and I have trouble keeping my weight above 145
I'm 5'10 215, diesel as hell
smile.gif
pimp.gif

The Lingerie Football League is harder than the NFL
30t6p3b.gif
Hell, the Puppy Bowl is more physical. !%%+$+! Goodell
30t6p3b.gif

I honestly dont even think after this and AP's flub, that I will watch this game anymore ... Hockey is so much better it's astounding ...

Agree

I'm for looking to eliminate and try to monitor head shots, defensless players getting launched at, etc.  I understand.  But the rest of this is ridiculous and seemingly the path Roger has been going since in power.  There is a reason I love when old Steeler games are on NFL network or somewhere else.  The football was very entertaining and I love how they didn't cater to the offense.  Nothing wrong with a 17-14 slugfest

Looks like they went ahead and moved the kickoff to the 35. If you're a Nate Kaeding fan, this is great news. He'll prolly get to 5
pimp.gif

San Diego kicker Nate Kaeding had touchbacks on just four of 72 kickoffs last season.

Originally Posted by Im Not You

/\ We don't care about them though. We care about the entertainment value.
Oh I understand that, just offering a different opinion. Expect ALL sports to come crashing down with preventative measures when it comes to concussions. Like SERIOUSLY. #1 Sport that might go, Youth League Football.

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

Originally Posted by BostonThreeParty

If i was someone who played college football, and was like a Defensive end, like Jared Allen or like DeMarcus Ware, I would consider playing in Canada, just to play a game that would allow to hit people.
and I'm Sure the Running Backs who lower their heads into guys won't get penalties, until some RB commits suicide 30-40 years later.

No you wouldn't. 

yeah i would, if this pace of restricting defensive places to hit offensive players, I would seriously consider that if i was in that spot and the only time you can touch WR's, QB's and RB's was in the chest but too high your suspended, but too low you get a flag for going like a hit Tom Brady took. 

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

I am sure the families of these players appreciate the rule changes.
If they're smart, they don't really give a %$!+. Guys are going to get hurt regardless. Some of these rules are so difficult to abide by that all we'll see is more penalties as opposed to less hits.

The owners approved of the changes for only one reason. Money. Even the though of less injured players leading to lower health insurance costs down the road has to be appealing.

It's pretty scary they considered ending kickoffs altogether.

Football with no kickoffs?

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

I am sure the families of these players appreciate the rule changes.

co-sign
Even though these new rules take down the entertainment value of the game...I for one will NOT be letting my kids play football until a certain age (since at that point you can't really hold them back anymore) unless more rules like these are implemented. Staying in good health>making $$$ and suffering

I know someone who has died playing HS FOOTBALL off a "legal hit".

Back
Top Bottom