Nike Air Flight Lite II retro looks to be coming

36A0F279-09F6-48E0-9C24-3DF42E4FB314.jpeg
In true 90s kid fashion I had to give these bad boys a good coat of some waterproof spray. I know that durabuck upper sneakers will likely outlive humankind, but I remember my mom and I getting duped into a can of water proofer every school year back when basically all my shoes were durabuck lol. Like old times, that chemically laden aerosol goodness seems to have deepened the uppers up a scoshe. I’ll take it!

Not duped, man. That sht WORKS! I'm bummed Champs/FTL stopped making theirs. It was the best I've ever found. I still have pairs I hit with it ONCE in the early 2k's and the water still beads up.

I think the kind I sprayed these down with was some cheapo Shoe Department stuff but it seems to work decent! And man tell me you remember the little plexiglass thing of water with a shoe sitting in it in champs and foot locker to show the water repellency of that stuff back in the day?! Stuff was crazy lol

Dude! 😂 I think you and I are living mirrored lives or something sir, as I worked at foot locker from 02-03 and my manager would do something eerily similar! My manager’s name was Rex and I swear he was like THE Foot Locker staple basically my entire life. I remember him lacing up my first Nike’s when I was a kid and him pushing the water proofer even then to my sweet struggling waitress mama lol. Fate would have it that 11-12 years later I would be working alongside Rex, still in awe at his salesmanship with the water proofer lol.

Oh hell yeah! Fun fact: when I worked at FTL in 2000-03, my manager used to keep a drink at the counter and any time he brought a shoe out for someone to try on, he'd hit the toe with a quick spray. Then if the customer bought them, when they got back to the register he'd "accidentally" spill some of the drink on the part of the shoe he sprayed and say "man, good thing I sprayed these with our water repellent. See how well it works? Could I interest you in buying a whole bottle?" Sometimes it would take a bit more of a demonstration, but he sold bottles like crazy doing that. :rofl:

So far, the best replacement for the Champs brand I've found is from Richard's. I think it's SofSole brand and has a clear blue cap. Unfortunately you have to spray your shoes down twice with it to get decent coverage, but it seems to work pretty well.

Now you all are taking me back in time. I love it.👍👍 Before my career in auto sales, I worked at Foot Quarters from '95-97 (right out of HS to when I started selling cars at 20 years old). For those who didn't know, FQ was a sister store to FTL & Champs (believe we were all owned by Woolworths at the time). Full run store with dress, boots and good sneakers. Didn't get the high end stuff, but some decent shoes (Filas with GH stuff), lower tier Nikes like the Flight Turbulence (Damon Stoudamire shoe) along with other take down models of the Zoom Flight 95s and '96s. Also had those Chuck Taylor 2000s among other cool stuff.

Anyhow, we had that stuff right by the registers. Our bosses always told us to try and get accessory sales and this was one of them. Tana spray. Stuff WORKED! My boss showed me the best demo...get those little "peds", the stocking like sock ladies put on their feet to try on dress shoes. Put it over your hand, and spray the Tana over it. Then take some water and drip it over. The water literally bounced off the material. Sold a bunch of stuff like that. People usually saw that and grabbed a can for the $4 it cost.

For the 2+ years I was there, it was fun. Especially the corporate discount. Have an AWESOME story about the release of the Jordan XIs back in 1995 I'll have to share if anyone wants to hear one day. Those were the days.

Ok. I was a P/T employee, fall of 1995. Had graduated HS that prior summer. With MJ coming back, and no where near the internet access we have now, there were only slight images in Slam and the "Return Flight" MJ Nike poster showing the Concords. But you really couldn't get a good shot of them. Told my manager that I was waiting for Footlocker to get them so I can see them (they were to release in a few days).

He calls down to FTL, talks to Tim the store manager. He was a good dude. My boss asked if he could send his part-timer down to see them (since I worked for the company). Tim was cool. When I got there, they were magically on the shelf. I was BLOWN AWAY with how they looked. Nothing ever looked like these before.

Asked Tim, why are they out? They don't release for a few more days (when release were on Fridays). He told me, some FTL somewhere in the country put them out early and sold a pair, so Nike sent a memo to all the stores to release them early. So they put them on the shelf when I got there. Needless to say, I got my size (still have my OGs and hope to restore them a bit) and brought them back to show my boss. He thought they were different, my coworkers thought they were ugly. NOT ME!

And got to use my 15% discount (F/T got 30%). Actually fell asleep staring at them when I got home from work. Wore them a few weeks later playing pickup. EVERYONE came over to ask about them. Those were the fun times, when collecting was fun and we did it for the love of the shoe, and the design. Not for flipping for $20. Sad what the hobby has become.

Ok. I was a P/T employee, fall of 1995. Had graduated HS that prior summer. With MJ coming back, and no where near the internet access we have now, there were only slight images in Slam and the "Return Flight" MJ Nike poster showing the Concords. But you really couldn't get a good shot of them. Told my manager that I was waiting for Footlocker to get them so I can see them (they were to release in a few days).

He calls down to FTL, talks to Tim the store manager. He was a good dude. My boss asked if he could send his part-timer down to see them (since I worked for the company). Tim was cool. When I got there, they were magically on the shelf. I was BLOWN AWAY with how they looked. Nothing ever looked like these before.

Asked Tim, why are they out? They don't release for a few more days (when release were on Fridays). He told me, some FTL somewhere in the country put them out early and sold a pair, so Nike sent a memo to all the stores to release them early. So they put them on the shelf when I got there. Needless to say, I got my size (still have my OGs and hope to restore them a bit) and brought them back to show my boss. He thought they were different, my coworkers thought they were ugly. NOT ME!

And got to use my 15% discount (F/T got 30%). Actually fell asleep staring at them when I got home from work. Wore them a few weeks later playing pickup. EVERYONE came over to ask about them. Those were the fun times, when collecting was fun and we did it for the love of the shoe, and the design. Not for flipping for $20. Sad what the hobby has become.

Crazy how similar this is to my story on the Concords. Had one shoe store at home that got Jordans, and went to college in the Cincinnati area. Nobody could tell me anything about them. I remember multiple stores trying to sell me the 2's when I asked about the "new Jordans." Kept getting "oh, they're here but they're old ones." Any time I tried to tell them they had Patent Leather on them, they looked at me like I was crazy.

My shop at home was my spot. Was in good with the manager and employees. I dj'ed in high school and did a couple of gigs for them (how I got my playoff 7's). One weekend I go home and literally as soon as I walk in my mom's door the phone rings. "Hey J, it's Tony at Sports Sensation. Just wanted to let let you know we got the new Jordans in and they're on the shelf TODAY. Need a 12?" Maaaan, I couldn't get back in my car quick enough. This was like 2 weeks early. Wore then out that night and nobody knew what to do. :lol:

Was gonna impulse cop today but I think I’ll be good till next week even on resell market. Gotta make sure next few days go right first.

Hmmm...that's unusual for a black shoe. I have a wide foot so it probably won't feel as bad for me, but I'll find out when I put them on.

S/O to beh235 beh235 for the link.. Box label side was a bit mangled but came in fresh.. just the price I needed. These are the best of the set so I'm stoked :nthat:

Oly's are my fav but they ruined those. After that it's Aquas and White/Blacks but skipped them all except these.

Hmmm...that's unusual for a black shoe. I have a wide foot so it probably won't feel as bad for me, but I'll find out when I put them on.
I have a wide foot too but on black shoes from my experience, when they’re suede the run a little bigger and are more comfortabl.e. The fit on these reminds me kind of raptor 7s room wise

S/O to beh235 beh235 for the link.. Box label side was a bit mangled but came in fresh.. just the price I needed. These are the best of the set so I'm stoked :nthat:

Oly's are my fav but they ruined those. After that it's Aquas and White/Blacks but skipped them all except these.
Glad you scooped. It's a quasi-wedding gift :lol:. Congrats once again homie!

I have a wide foot too but on black shoes from my experience, when they’re suede the run a little bigger and are more comfortabl.e. The fit on these reminds me kind of raptor 7s room wise
If they fit like that, then I'm super good. One of my favorite retros ever. I love how they fit and the comfort.

Back
Top Bottom