Nike Air Jordan 1 "Chicago" - May 30, 2015. (LEGIT CHECK IN 1st POST)

How many pairs will you be copping?

• "1" is all I need.

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • 2. One to rock, One to stock.

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • 3+. I need to hoard for no valid reason.

Votes: 5 29.4%
  • 0. No OG Box? PASS.

Votes: 1 5.9%

• Total voters
I know it's a shot in the dark, but here goes. Can someone help a longtime NT'er with a size 12 at retail or relatively close to?

Producing more pairs without fixing the bots and ATC problems won't do Nike any good. They will still lose money in the long run and put more money into resellers pockets. Nike's been getting a bad rep for not fixing the problem and they finally came out and admitted it theres one, so hopefully they'll do something about it. Making more pairs to be sent to other retailera, FTL FL, FNL etc...Takes away from their profit as opposed to selling them online for a full 100% profit. Thats why the other retailers don't really care as long as they sellout cuz they don't produce them , in a way theyre resellers too. Niketowns can only get so many pairs or retros at a time and there isnt so many NT around. I'ts not a smart business decision either cuz if Nike tries to flood the market they will only help resellers and retailers up their inventory. Therefore there won't be a high demand when Nike restocks or they decides to re-retro the same model 3-5 years down the line. The other option which Nike is already doing is selling them at outlets for $20-$50 cheaper than the suggested retail price cuz they will make more money off them like that than selling them to other retailers. Obviously online is easier and more convenient for the average consumer so hopefully they'll fix the problem soon. 

Last edited:
[thread="607957"]Exclusivity is 90% of the game.  Nike knows this.  There is a 0% chance that they will make more pairs.  [/thread]
[thread="607957"] [/thread]
[thread="607957"]With that being said Nike has access to some extremely intelligent MBA's coming out of Ivy League schools.  If they haven't figured out a solution to this yet it's because they haven't wanted to .  [/thread]
[thread="607957"] [/thread]
[thread="607957"]I think the ATC companies and the money they are making might finally be getting to them.  [/thread]
Exclusivity helps sell doodoo kicks these sell themselves. Nike could have released 10 x what they did and nothing would sit..

Man all these people with multiple pairs. I just really really really want one 7.5. Somebody please help me.
frown.gif
same boat.

On the server side. And long term buyer satisfaction.
Bred release tied up their site for 4 hours. The traffic proxies are brining to their site all at once is cause for concern

How does Ticketmaster handle this? Their site never seems to have problems even when huge events (Rolling Stones tour, etc.) go on sale.. I think Nike has the money to fix this problem.

is just my pairs or do others have tumbled leather on the toebox. 2 of my pairs have it on the left toe box but not the right
yes i have notice this on one of my boys pairs,one toe box seem kinda tumbled (not sure why is that).. but mine are both smooth.

Exclusivity helps sell doodoo kicks these sell themselves. Nike could have released 10 x what they did and nothing would sit..
Flooding the market cheapens a brand.  Just look at what happened to Coach purses or what almost happened to Louis Vuitton until they pulled things back a little.

I'm not defending what Nike does.  Just saying that they'll never flood the market with pairs.  That's what the Jordan brand line was created for.    

Last edited:

Flooding the market kills cheapens a brand.  Just look at what happened to Coach purses or what almost happened to Louis Vuitton until they pulled things back a little.
Not when the demand is there. Nike could release another 50k of legend blue xi's today and they"d be sold out tonite. I don't know anything about coach so I don't know what happened but Nike is nowhere near flooding the market point on OG NA AJ 1s

Last edited:
How does Ticketmaster handle this? Their site never seems to have problems even when huge events (Rolling Stones tour, etc.) go on sale.. I think Nike has the money to fix this problem.
All of these companies have money to fix the problem.  It's not fixed because they don't want to fix the problem.  They love the hype, the website crashes, the work you have to put in to get a pair.  It builds up a frenzy for each and every release.   Look at how unapologetic Adidas was about it's disastrous Kanye release.  They couldn't have been happier actually.  

Flooding the market cheapens a brand.  Just look at what happened to Coach purses or what almost happened to Louis Vuitton until they pulled things back a little.

I'm not defending what Nike does.  Just saying that they'll never flood the market with pairs.  That's what the Jordan brand line was created for.    

NIKE is a brand that has different price points for differ products. I don't think they're worried about cheapening the brand because their number 1. They make decisions which would be best for NIKE but also they want to make sure they give consumers (now) a better experience. Some choices will suck in the mind and hearts of the consumers, like the release of the Chicago 1s, but in the long run it may just consumers a much better experience.

I don't think anyone is talking about "flooding the market." Just produce more damn pairs. When you're producing 15k-20k of shoes that people really want, you make things difficult. Make 200k of these. Would that be flooding the market? Its the shoe that started it all. WOuldnt cheapen it whatsoever.

I don't have a problem with them keeping some thing exclusive, like frags. But these?

Why does everyone think NIKE is supposed to care about you? NIKE is a corporation and they're in it to make money. Now, I think what they've done with making sure consumers have more than enough chances to buy Jordan's/NIKES should say a lot. Think about this, ATC/BOTS services have taken away from the experience of buying shoes online. You can NIKE added to that hype by releasing limited shoes but hell the same thing was being done 5-10 years ago and no one cared. I've been able to grab most of the releases I've wanted with out ATC/BOTS and if I miss, i move on if I can't find that shoe for a decent price!!! With consumers, we will never be satisfied and always find something to complain about. I've been fortunate with my shoes, I haven't had the quality issues or other things everyone complains about. I also feel as if NIKE doesn't owe me anything for buying there product.
Appreciate the fact that the release was canceled because they're trying to make sure the consumer can have a better experience purchasing online and minimizing the use of thise services. The writing has been on the wall for a while and don't be surprised when others follow suit.
NDC says they cancelled this release specifically because of bots. Power resellers that use bots to stack inventory are a threat to their long term customer base. Nike produces below demand for very specific reasons. One is so that they can continue to  drive their price point. Another is so when you miss on a popular release you're likely to spend that money you didn't use on some of their other products. They try to do both without losing customers. If someone spends $400 for a product NDC sold at $170 there is a little chance they're hitting up NDC for matching shorts or the next week's release. Negative customer experience costs customers. It's business 101. 

Not when the demand is there. Nike could release another 50k of legend blue xi's today and they"d be sold out tonite. I don't know anything about coach so I don't know what happened but Nike is nowhere near flooding the market point on OG NA AJ 1s
I'll just agree to disagree.  If you don't know about Coach just look at Ferrari.  They'll build 2,000 cars and sell all of them.   If you walk into a Ferrari dealership you will not see 1 new Ferrari on the lot for sale. There are 5 year waiting lists.  

Ferrari could easily make 20,000 cars and there are more than enough people that would buy them.  But it would cheapen their brand if you saw one on every corner like a Honda Civic.

Yes. I'm comparing a $300,000 car with $200 sneakers.  But it's capitalism and it's all the same principles.     

Phones are digital now. Which means there would be phone bots. Anything digital can have an automated script (bot) written.

I don't have a solution. If I did, I wouldn't give it away for free anyway.
yeah but an actual person talking to a phone would know the difference between a person and a computer, you would have to have lots of people sitting on the phone for you

I have a wild theory on this. My guess is that Nike has somehow quantified the negative effect of customers paying resale on their "other" product sales. Here is a simplified example.

Customer A misses out on the Chicago 1 release on NDC due to bots. Customer A still really wants a pair so he ends up paying $460 resale for a pair, a $300 profit going straight to the reseller.

Customer B is able to snag a pair of Chicago 1s on NDC. He now has $300 more in disposable income than Customer A. There's a chance he just takes that $300 he saved and he puts it in the bank. But there's also a chance that Customer B uses some of that extra money to buy more Nike products (aka more money going into Nike's pockets rather than resellers).

Like I said, this is a very simplified example. But Nike is a very analytical company so it's possible, with all the data they've gathered over the past years, that they've begun to quantify the negative effect of resellers on their bottom line. And if you think about it, the Chicago 1s are an excellent release to test this theory due to the high resale prices we're seeing.

This makes a lot of sense, actually. Preciate your thoughts on it.

His comparisons are terrible and anyone on here could do the same with zero knowledge on shoes or fakes

I follow him just to laugh honestly because they are piss poor comparisons

I actually have a pretty sub-par eye for spotting fakes. Especially considering how long i've been buying shoes and the amount of shoes that I handle. But I'm certainly not on Zyzz's level.

Still...I'm always a little confused by his IG/Twitter posts...They always seemed a little funny style to me. Glad you guys just validated my concerns.

WHY NIKE PICKS AND CHOOSES CERTAIN MODELS TO BE LIMITED AND NOT OTHERS DOESN'T MAKE SENSE TO ME. LIKE WHY THE CHICAGOS 1 ARE LIMITED BUT NOT THE HARE 7'S. WHAT MADE THEM CHOOSE THAT AND NOT THE OTHER WAY AROUND. LIMITED HARE 7'S AND GR CHICAGOS.

NIKE is a brand that has different price points for differ products. I don't think they're worried about cheapening the brand because their number 1. They make decisions which would be best for NIKE but also they want to make sure they give consumers (now) a better experience. Some choices will suck in the mind and hearts of the consumers, like the release of the Chicago 1s, but in the long run it may just consumers a much better experience.
Again.  I'll agree to disagree.  The frenzy of buying a new pair of Jordans is built into the process.  By design.  

The process has always been difficult.  Back in the day 90's I had to skip school and wait in lines, for the retro +'s I had to wake up and be at the mall at 4am.    And through all of that Nike has always had the choice to just "make more pairs." 

Nike doesn't make more pairs because they don't want to make more pairs. 

I'll just agree to disagree.  If you don't know about Coach just look at Ferrari.  They'll build 2,000 cars and sell all of them.   If you walk into a Ferrari dealership you will not see 1 new Ferrari on the lot for sale. There are 5 year waiting lists.  

Ferrari could easily make 20,000 cars and there are more than enough people that would buy them.  But it would cheapen their brand if you saw one on every corner like a Honda Civic.

Yes. I'm comparing a $300,000 car with $200 sneakers.  But it's capitalism and it's all the same principles.     
Def agree to disagree. There are way more people prepared to spend 160 on an AJ1 than there are people ready to plop down 300k for a Ferrari. Deuces

Overall this release sucked. I was able to get not my size so now I have to deal with the resale headaches but at least I got one. Good luck to all still hunting and I really hope the nike release is somewhat fair when that time comes.

I don't think anyone is talking about "flooding the market." Just produce more damn pairs. When you're producing 15k-20k of shoes that people really want, you make things difficult. Make 200k of these. Would that be flooding the market? Its the shoe that started it all. WOuldnt cheapen it whatsoever.

I don't have a problem with them keeping some thing exclusive, like frags. But these?

It's a long play.... Now the people that missed this will go after shattered backboards, then the UNC during holiday. I know you're thinking they would have anyway, but missing these helps guarantee that, as well as another color they may choose to drop.

It's all about keeping you coming back, consumers allow themselves to be swept up in artificial demand and when a company can create a feeling in you where you think you missed out then they won. They wouldn't want to change that.

The only reason companies go out of their way to do anything is to make money, so if they sell out every weekend like this instead of having a bunch of models sit on shelves they will pick this option 100% of the time.

It's really not as simple as make more sell more. There is a fine line between selling out and sitting on shelves, and once that " I need it" factor is gone, even for 1 shoe it will cause a domino effect that can change what's been successful for them.

Last edited:
It's all about keeping you coming back, consumers allow themselves to be swept up in artificial demand and when a company can create a feeling in you where you think you missed out then they won. They wouldn't want to change that.

The only reason companies go out of their way to do anything is to make money, so if they sell out every weekend like this instead of having a bunch of models sit on shelves they will pick this option 100% of the time.

Exactly what I've been trying to say over my last few posts.   Nike has the capability to make more pairs.  They don't because it makes no sense at all.  

Back
Top Bottom