Nike Air Jordan 1 "Chicago" - May 30, 2015. (LEGIT CHECK IN 1st POST)

How many pairs will you be copping?

• "1" is all I need.

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • 2. One to rock, One to stock.

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • 3+. I need to hoard for no valid reason.

Votes: 5 29.4%
  • 0. No OG Box? PASS.

Votes: 1 5.9%

• Total voters
Flooding the market cheapens a brand.  Just look at what happened to Coach purses or what almost happened to Louis Vuitton until they pulled things back a little.

I'm not defending what Nike does.  Just saying that they'll never flood the market with pairs.  That's what the Jordan brand line was created for.    

and why Mercedes reluctantly put out a "cheap" car.

Which I think is dumb. People could put that $30K towards a used one that actually has full features and has more than just a name.

For further proof that limited supply is crucial, look at the PE series (Westbrook, Griffin and CP3) and all the primary color mids that just sit on shelves.  

You do realize that they only produce limited amounts of those models because of their niche following, right?

Jordan is Jordan. They sell true flights and Jordan brand shoes at an impressive rate.

I heard from someone thats usually dead on when they have a restock and what sizes and everything why they actually pulled the release.

Apparently there was some type of hole in their system that has always been there that allowed folks to have the shoes in cart a short time after they loaded the sizes to their website.

It sounds believable because i always see someone on twitter with info about restocks and such because they run some type of program that shows what sizes of certain product numbers were loaded to NDC.

ive also seen them go back and forth about what is and what isnt on the website because nike will load sizes, then take them off. (or something like hat.

Dont take this as the actual reason, because i dont know and it could be all BS, but with the way royals and breds go for hundreds more than retail, i can see folks that know about the exploit getting greedy and taking advantage of it and causing nike to take steps such as this.
I think you are the closest out of everyone just talking nonsense in here

It's a long play.... Now the people that missed this will go after shattered backboards, then the UNC during holiday. I know you're thinking they would have anyway, but missing these helps guarantee that, as well as another color they may choose to drop.

It's all about keeping you coming back, consumers allow themselves to be swept up in artificial demand and when a company can create a feeling in you where you think you missed out then they won. They wouldn't want to change that.

The only reason companies go out of their way to do anything is to make money, so if they sell out every weekend like this instead of having a bunch of models sit on shelves they will pick this option 100% of the time.

It's really not as simple as make more sell more. There is a fine line between selling out and sitting on shelves, and once that " I need it" factor is gone, even for 1 shoe it will cause a domino effect that can change what's been successful for them.

Why are laser 1s sitting? You would think they would serve as a consolation prize for Chicagos..

Then don't.

Comparing Breds to 1's or any other Jordan is ridiculous in my opinion.  Bred brings out people that would never buy 1's.  People who have never heard or seen 1's as a matter of fact.

When you're deep in this you stop seeing the forest for the trees.  

How you see anything from that tunnel you're in?

I heard from someone thats usually dead on when they have a restock and what sizes and everything why they actually pulled the release.

Apparently there was some type of hole in their system that has always been there that allowed folks to have the shoes in cart a short time after they loaded the sizes to their website.

It sounds believable because i always see someone on twitter with info about restocks and such because they run some type of program that shows what sizes of certain product numbers were loaded to NDC.

ive also seen them go back and forth about what is and what isnt on the website because nike will load sizes, then take them off. (or something like hat.

Dont take this as the actual reason, because i dont know and it could be all BS, but with the way royals and breds go for hundreds more than retail, i can see folks that know about the exploit getting greedy and taking advantage of it and causing nike to take steps such as this.

i mention this before with the backdoor, nike has been canceling too many orders even new release because of overselling. i had mcflys and bred lows cancelled all ordered on the app. also, the flyknit oreoes even some of the restock grs they put up

and why Mercedes reluctantly put out a "cheap" car.

Which I think is dumb. People could put that $30K towards a used one that actually has full features and has more than just a name.
Can't argue with that.  The release of the CLA was in response to the Audi A3 and the BMW 1 series.  But on the brighter side of things  Audi got to push up the price of their A4, BMW their 3 series, and Mercedes their C-Class.  

Unfortunately Nike doesn't have competition like that to force them to make these moves.    

Last edited:

bae and I
roll.gif
laugh.gif

How you see anything from that tunnel you're in?
Just email Nike and tell them to make more shoes and explain your reasoning to them.  I'm sure they'll appreciate your input.   I'm done talking about it.

Last edited:

U comparing that to the demand of a OG colorway from arguably the greatest player of our generation? Another player's varation of a shoe will meet or surpass that of actual player? That makes sense?
I'm not comparing demand.  I'm saying that if you make a mistake and over supply, even on an OG colorway, the cool factor recedes and a lot of buyers will rethink their purchase.  Nike will do anything to protect the OG Jordan mystique.  

I agree, Chanel, Hermes and a lot of other brands do this. You walk in and ask for a product and they are sold out and there is a waiting list. Some people have been on for a year. Mass production does put less value on brand & product. People want what others don't have or can't get.

However, they will still have GR's that will sell out due to limited releases like these because people missed out. Smart on their part but sucks for many. Then people forget and get over it and they do it all over again.

I LOVE the idea of waiting lists for shoes.. I'd put myself down for a pair of 2019 retro indiglo XIVs if that option was available now.

Can't argue with that.  The release of the CLA was in response to the Audi A3 and the BMW 1 series.  But on the brighter side of things  Audi got to push up the price of their A4, BMW their 3 series, and Mercedes their C-Class.  

Unfortunately Nike doesn't have competition like that to force them to make these moves.    

All brands have been going to a smaller footprint. Has nothing to do with cheapening their brand.

With your logic, all brands need to be exclusive or they're cheap.

Some really good points this morning.  I agree that when Nike sees one of their consumers spend $400 with a reseller for a $160 shoe they see that $240 of future sales being taken away from them.  

Also, the uppers at Nike must be pissed that they can't release a shoe on their own site.  Remember when Nike sells through an outlet like Foot Locker, they only make their wholesale profit, but when they sell through NDC they double that and it goes right into their coffers.  

I have to also think it doesn't please them to not be able to launch a heritage product because the IT department can't get it together.  Nike is on the frontlines of the future of retail.  Sure, it's just shoes today, but I wonder what happens in 30 years when we as consumers have to buy other more essential products online (think bottled water) and this bot situation hasn't been figured out.  Then the thirst will be real.  
Best post in this entire thread. I'm a software engineer. Everybody says fix this fix that....you guys have no idea how difficult it is to programmaticlly   fix this bot problem. They are probably working with the top IT security firms in the country. The root cause of this issue is the javascript involved in the the backend code. Them some of you guys, and you know who you are, hacked the SNKR REST API. There's a lot involved here fellas and the fix aint easy. I suggest them talk to google or apple for assistance. Their inventory systems don't get hacked!!!

Last edited:
Just need a 9.5 that I can beat into the ground lol, resellers are savages on these prices though :smh:

I don't think anyone is talking about "flooding the market." Just produce more damn pairs. When you're producing 15k-20k of shoes that people really want, you make things difficult. Make 200k of these. Would that be flooding the market? Its the shoe that started it all. WOuldnt cheapen it whatsoever.

I don't have a problem with them keeping some thing exclusive, like frags. But these?

You're one of the older members so you know nobody cared about 1's until the price of banneds shot up. That made people care and brought resellers to them. 1's and 2's were always the lowest selling 1-13 Jordan's. With probably VII's and IX's being next.

Nike wasn't going to make a whole lot, because there wasn't a demand at first.

Then how many people would even want them if they were mass produced. It's easy for you to say, but JB doesn't like a whole bunch of product being returned for outlets or put on deep discount. That's why they would rather sell it at outlets than have it sit on shelves for $99. It dilutes their brand. They have team J's for that.

Probably the next go around you will see a lot produced.

Back
Top Bottom