Nike Air Jordan 1 Retro "Metallic Red" - The Aftermath - NO BUYING/SELLING/TRADING

I read the whole article, which was a nice trip down memory lane, but nowhere in the article did it state 3 or 4 million AJ1s were produced :lol:

Whoops meant to list 2 articles:

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/...78_1_basketball-shoes-nike-shoes-and-clothing
Good find. Now, considering the AJ1 wasn't a day 1 sellout do you still feel the manufacturer should have slowed down production. 3-4 million units, lets say 1/2 on sale (my first pair of AJ1s given to me cost 35 bux on layaway :lol: ) vs. 200k sold out one day no restocks?

Last edited:
So mids cost "like $2 to make" but metallic 1s are exspensive to produce? :lol: :smh:
Cannot take you serious

Do you have trouble with reading comprehension? Not trying to be rude but where did I say Metallics were expensive to produce? I said they might be MORE expensive to produce than other OG 1s because of the metallic material.

Good find. Now, considering the AJ1 wasn't a day 1 sellout do you still feel the manufacturer should have slowed down production. 3-4 million units, lets say 1/2 on sale (my first pair of AJ1s given to me cost 35 bux on layaway :lol: ) vs. 200k sold out one day no restocks?

Context is key-back then Nike was trying to get into the performance basketball market that Adidas and Converse dominated. Signing MJ was arguably the best decision the company has made in it's history as it brought them to the forefront of the performance basketball market because they signed the best basketball player to ever walk the earth. Also, keep in mind, there were delays in producing the AJ 2 (along with MJ being injured his 2nd season) which created a longer timeframe for them to push the AJ 1 and, because of the large number of AJ 1 sales, they upsold the AJ 2 as an aspirational product and even shifted production to Italy for the release. Essentially, Nike saw that "Jordan" as a brand (which obviously later turned into JB) was highly marketable, after they were able to push out many more pairs of the AJ 1 than they initially projected.

If you think about it, this exact formula happens with any performance basketball shoes nowadays. Pretty much every model of performance basketball shoe (in some cw) ends up with outlets after demand has tapered off. Shoes that are released as collectors items (retros) rather than for performance uses are a different story altogether.

Mines come in today. I cant wait to see them. Then I can look at them for a few hours and move my mind onto the Foams/playoff 13s these next couple months. These just remind me of those good 80-90s shows. Some kid always had these or similar beat to hell with some basic light blue jeans and a random shirt on.

Last edited:
I keep telling myself, "Must resist buying.... wait for a lower price....."

laugh.gif

since my daughter now works at ftl (her 1st job), i'll def. be using that 30. was gonna grab these yesterday via her, but i feel like they'll def. see discounts so i decided to wait and cop bred trunners instead.

since my daughter now works at ftl (her 1st job), i'll def. be using that 30. was gonna grab these yesterday via her, but i feel like they'll def. see discounts so i decided to wait and cop bred trunners instead.

if these get sold at sheikhs best believe they gonna sit and drop to 99 quick and hopefully another 20 off like i got my navys

Do you have trouble with reading comprehension? Not trying to be rude but where did I say Metallics were expensive to produce? I said they might be MORE expensive to produce than other OG 1s because of the metallic material.
Dude u said more exspensive to produce than a $2 mid. My point is do you really think they aren't profiting off the shoe? Do you really think the brand should stop making a shoe because it is selling below retail? That's just ridiculous

Back
Top Bottom