Nike Air Jordan 1 Retro "UNC" - The Aftermath - NO BUYING/SELLING/TRADING

In the mid 90s, "re-selling" was EXTREMELY low-key. There was no Craigslist, no E-Bay, no sneaker websites. Everything was done "on the spot" at the malls or "word of mouth." This was the re-seller market I speak of. 

My family owned a retail clothing business in the late 80s and 90s, we had 5 store fronts and a warehouse. As a college student who worked part-time for our family business, I would use my paychecks to invest in collecting sneakers/Jordans. I would purchase about 10-20 pairs per colorway at retail and then re-sell my pairs at our stores for double the price. My profit would then be re-invested into purchasing more pairs. Nowadays, this type of re-selling is commonplace all over the world.

Re-selling of Air Jordans began a long time ago - since the 90s, even a few of my friends and relatives and others were doing it....it started when J's first began to sell out in a matter of a couple days and supply wasn't able to meet demand. 
I wasn't old enough to remember this stuff, but from what most people say, Jordans used to sit on shelves and even get discounted. They would also commonly hit outlets. If you did do this, then props to you, but you must be the only person in the world that did.

I wasn't old enough to remember this stuff, but from what most people say, Jordans used to sit on shelves and even get discounted. They would also commonly hit outlets. If you did do this, then props to you, but you must be the only person in the world that did.

Well that says it all, you aren't old enough to remember this stuff. Those stories of Jordans sitting on shelves were somewhat true - for the Jordan 9s and 10s and to some degree the 11s. Why? Because when MJ retired to play baseball, nobody cared about him or his kicks. But guess what happened when he went 72-10 and won titles in '96, '97 and '98? That's right, the mass appeal of His Airness skyrocketed to never before seen heights and the Air Jordan brand hit an unprecedented level with sneaker collectors. Do you actually believe the OG AJ12, AJ13, and AJ14 sat on shelves and hit the outlets? No way jose, those joints sold out in a hurry and no, I wasn't the only one copping multiples to flip.

Last edited:
I got my pair last week from a NTer for $210 shipped.  Kept miss connecting with a local cat I was trying to pay $220 for on an ebay auction.  After I told him I was good he ended up relisting and the auction ended last night at $190.  

Maybe it was just pittsburgh, but all jordan's including 12s and 13s sat. I got new pairs in Sept and in Jan, and never had any issues in HS getting my size and colorway

Frags released in 2014.

yes technically Frags released 2014 (holiday time) but the mold used was the remastered mold of 2015. It's unofficially the first of the new mold/new material sourcing....followed by lasers (in feb'15).

I remember the days when you could walk into any spot and there be multiple models just sitting on shelves, kinda like when EB used to have them listed in the catalogs.

Yeah it's super corny that we HAVE to pay full price now days if we want ANY retro
mean.gif
. Really turns me off from the whole thing. We need them Vindicates to retro though
pimp.gif
. super nostalgic for me since they were my 2nd Jordan/basketball shoe ever.

est. 1980.

The anecdotal, delusions of grandeur world of reselling ole boy lived in just didn't exist.

Up until 2001-02, everything sat unless it had patent leather (XI, XVIs) and even then it wouldn't sell out for a week or 2 in Los Angeles.

There was vintagekicks and deadstock (they may have changed there name) that would re-sell older Js.

Laney 5s hit $29.99 in FSR in Los Angeles.

Jordan 17s all hit $99 and sold out at $50 with employee discount.

Jordan 16s were $59.99 or $79.99

2003-2005 when SBs blew up is when reselling spawned what we see today.

And in that time, everyone jumped off the Jordan bangwagon and you could catch steals on retros.

Patiently waiting for that time again when someone decides jordans aren't cool anymore
laugh.gif
Hope Ye keeps a lot of the fly by night buyers at Adidas.

Remember when you could put Js on lay-a-away at FNL?

laugh.gif

pretty sure mental kicks sells fakes aka "grey markets"/"unauthorized" as some misinformed people like to call them.
Kix has sold GMs in the past. A lot of NTers will push their experience as the end all be all but when I warned folks about the infrareds at city sole...I was a "hater" or "salty"

Guess what happened...Citysole closed up shop.

Me and a few members have warned NTers about these pre-order sites/consignments since last year.

Just be aware.

Last edited:
Yee!
@AirForce1King Word, no need to explain yourself. However, I am surprised at what $40k got you. That's impossible in NY. I think that might be a come up you got there lol.

Thank you sir. And I don't mind explaining myself at all lol. And the pic below shows my remaining balance. I owe $22K. Like I said, I put down $16,200 as a down payment. And I lied about my mortgage. It was $347 and I used to add an additional principal of $52.94 to make it an even $400.00. Something just happened with my escrow (I think when I changed insurance companies. I still don't have a clear understanding) and as of last month from here on out my mortgage is $415 now.
View media item 1766395
And just because, my credit score as of 8/3. This is when I was buying my car. They ran it like 13 times and it instantly dropped from 825 to 795.

View media item 1766398
Yee! My mans does not mess around.

Hope Ye keeps a lot of the fly by night buyers at Adidas.

Remember when you could put Js on lay-a-away at FNL?

laugh.gif

Kix has sold GMs in the past. A lot of NTers will push their experience as the end all be all but when I warned folks about the infrareds at city sole...I was a "hater" or "salty"

Guess what happened...Citysole closed up shop.

Me and a few members have warned NTers about these pre-order sites/consignments since last year.

Just be aware.
I was wondering about citysole. I only copped from them one time back before their prices got ridiculous. Grabbed the only pair ofwhite/red 12s they had up on the site and a Jordan 8 zip up jacket. I think they're legit but I started to wonder because of how they were doing business the last few years. been meaning to make a legit check on here just to get other opinions but I'm too lazy lol I'm 99% sure they're authentic

Up until 2001-02, everything sat unless it had patent leather (XI, XVIs) and even then it wouldn't sell out for a week or 2 in Los Angeles.

Jordan 16s were $59.99 or $79.99
So are you telling me that OG 11s, 12s, 13s, and 14s (the time when the Bulls of '95-'98 made their "return" to greatness") sat on the shelves and wouldn't sell out for weeks? LOL...absurd. FSR of OG 12s, for example, sold out in a matter of a couple days and that's a fact. As the Bulls were steamrolling through opponents for 3 straight years, consumers were steamrolling through store shelves and coppin' J's with no regard for human life. The only "anectodal, delusions of grandeur" (as you so eloquently put it) are your claims that 12s, 13s, 14s, etc sat on shelves for weeks lol. Best believe people stood in front of Footlocker before it opened at 8am when OG Playoff 12s dropped and were all gone by the afternoon.

I'm not sure where you were living at that time or how old you are but if you think Jordan fans, sneaker collectors, and the like were "letting" J's sit on shelves, then I wanna know what you're smokin.' Something's telling me you were nowhere near your mid 20s in the mid 90s and thus too young to have witnessed what was truly going on back then.

The truth of the matter is...when Jordan and the Bulls went 72-10 in '95-'96 and MJ made his triumphant return, the Air Jordan hype train was full steam ahead and rollin' with no end in sight. And this, my friend, was what spawned the whole notion of "buy one to rock, one to stock, and one to flip." 

Regarding 16s, 17s...by this time MJ was no longer a Chicago Bull. He was a Wizard. In 2001, the MJ hype train had inevitably subsided because 1) MJ was way past his prime, 2) MJ was no longer winning, and 3) the NBA had a whole new generation of stars and signature sneakers. It was a much different landscape and a new regime had begun to take over - Iverson, T-Mac, Vinsanity, Kobe, etc. This is what contributed to the Jordan 16 and 17 sitting on shelves and being sold at clearance prices. How quickly some of us forget the correlation between MJ's on-court success/basketball career and his sneaker sales/popularity. 

Please spare me the B.S. of the Nike SB sneaker line as the sole entity that spearheaded the re-selling we see today. The Air Jordan shoe was the one that started it all and inspired the rest. Period.

Last edited:

So are you telling me that OG 11s, 12s, 13s, and 14s (the time when the Bulls of '95-'98 made their "return" to greatness") sat on the shelves and wouldn't sell out for weeks? LOL...absurd. FSR of OG 12s, for example, sold out in a matter of a couple days and that's a fact. As the Bulls were steamrolling opponents for 3 years straight, consumers were steamrolling through the shelves and coppin' these J's with no regard for human life. Sorry to burst your bubble but these ain't no

I'm not sure where you were living at that time or how old you are but if you think Jordan fans, sneaker collectors, and the like were "letting" J's sit on shelves, then I wanna know what you're smokin.' Something's telling me you were nowhere near your mid 20s in the mid 90s and thus too young to have witnessed what was truly going on back then.

The truth of the matter is...when Jordan and the Bulls went 72-10 in '95-'96 and MJ made his triumphant return, the Air Jordan hype train was full steam ahead and rollin' with no end in sight. And this, my friend, was what spawned the whole notion of "buy one to rock, one to stock, and one to flip." 

Regarding 16s, 17s...by this time MJ was no longer a Chicago Bull. He was a Wizard. In 2001, the MJ hype train had inevitably subsided because 1) MJ was way past his prime, 2) MJ was no longer winning, and 3) the NBA had a whole new generation of stars and signature sneakers. It was a much different landscape and a new regime had begun to take over - Iverson, T-Mac, Vinsanity, Kobe, etc. This is what contributed to the Jordan 16 and 17 sitting on shelves and being sold at clearance prices. How quickly some of us forget the correlation between MJ's on-court success/basketball career and his sneaker sales/popularity. 

Please spare me the B.S. of the Nike SB sneaker line as the sole entity that spearheaded the re-selling we see today. The Air Jordan shoe was the one that started it all and inspired the rest. Period.
You're so full of your anecdotal resell tales that you're illiterate.

I clearly said XIs sold out.

I was born July 1980. 

The rest of the Jordans sat. Went on clearance. Went to Outlets for $29.99-$49.99.

I'm not the only NTer that has shared this sentiment, posted catalog proof that they went on sale.

Go get your rocks off telling the book of reselling according to whiplash at a camp out line

I walked into oakwood/NO in 97 and bought Taxis around thanksgiving that year.

Bought Shadow 10s months after release.

Most other Js of mine can be blamed on Nikes return process back then. I basically flipped last year's for the new ones. Columbias, Bred 12s, black white 13s, black white 14s. No idea if those sat on shelves. I do know XIs were nowhere to be seen though.

Last edited:
For those that don't think Jordans sat back then look no further than an old Eastbay clearance catalog from the late 90s. And those were by mail and phone. No bots. You could order weeks after receiving it.

Last edited:

I was born July 1980. 

The rest of the Jordans sat. Went on clearance. Went to Outlets for $29.99-$49.99.

I'm not the only NTer that has shared this sentiment, posted catalog proof that they went on sale.

Go get your rocks off telling the book of reselling according to whiplash at a camp out line
Those catalogs were from like 2000. lol I'm talkin' mid 90s, '96, '97. 

I was born July 1980. 

"Born in July 1980."

Which means you were a junior in high school when the OG 12s dropped and by '99 you were barely out of high school. That's all I need to know about where you were at in the mid 90s and thus the reason why you actually believe SB's "spawned reselling."

And believe me, I can care less how many NTer's share your sentiment or mine. Bottom line is this: I was there to live it. Which means, I was there camping out (aka falling in line at 8am before Footlocker opened) in the mid 90s, networking with employees and managers of shoe stores, and getting the low down on inventory....while you were sitting in your desk at 5th period English waiting for your pops to pick you up from school so he could take you to the mall and pick you up a pair.

You really gotta draw lines through my previous posts and be that childish dawg? U mad bro? LOL... Don't you remember what the late Stuart Scott used to tell you every time you watched SportsCenter?! Don't hate the playa, hate the game. 

Word.

Last edited:

For those that don't think Jordans sat back then look no further than an old Eastbay clearance catalog from the late 90s. And those were by mail and phone. No bots. You could order weeks after receiving it.
Let me clarify and put things in perspective:

Air Jordan VIII - Sold out quick, MJ's first 3-peat

Air Jordan IX - MJ retires, sat on shelves, big time.

Air Jordan X - MJ still retired, sat on shelves.

Air Jordan XI - MJ's comeback, 72-10, sold out quick

Air Jordan XII - Bulls defend title, sold out quick

Air Jordan XIII - Bulls second 3-peat, sold out quick

Air Jordan XIV - MJ's second retirement, "last shot" 14 eventually sold out but other colorways sat

Air Jordan XV - Clearance rack

Air Jordan XVI - MJ plays for Wizards, Sat on shelves but common sizes of the Breds and Midnight Blues eventually sold out within a week or two.

Air Jordan XVII - Sat and many pairs were found on clearance

As far as the Eastbay catalogs are concerned, yes you could find 14s and 15s in the catalog, but if you ever saw a pair of 13s or 12s in the catalogs back then and you called up Eastbay, you'd find out that the only sizes available were size 12 and 13.

Back
Top Bottom