Nike Air Jordan Retro 3 OG “Fire Red” 2022

Wont work because I have no Ugly Jordan 1's
Did you just call the Bred 1s ugly?

offended.gif

Shoe Palace pair just came in... Said from day 1 I'm only keeping one pair of these. I'm taking the SP pair over the Hibbett pair just because the leather on the SP pair makes the Hibbett pair feel like plastic. No need to mix and match

SP

IMG_1613.JPG

Hibbett

IMG_1615.JPG

Congratulations Hibbett you won your pair back! Thanks for the memories

In my opinion, the build quality today is generally much better than it was in the 90s. A lot of the materials and shapes of the shoes seemed nicer back then, but I lost count of how many pairs of shoes I had to return. It was usually due to the outsole peeling off, or threads coming undone. I learned quickly back when I first really got into Nikes and Jordans (around late 1989/early 1990) to always inspect them closely in the store to look for loose stitching and poorly glued/attached outsoles. Doing that least reduced the chances I'd have to return them down the road. I've told the story here before about being in college in 95/96 and going to buy the OG carbon-fiber Zoom Flight 95s. I had to have the dude bring out literally every pair he had in my size to find a left shoe and a right shoe that didn't have their outsoles not glued on fully in a spot or two. People were looking at me curiously as I was sitting there on the bench, surrounded by a giant stack of Zoom Flight 95s :lol:
When I take a close look at the shoes I buy today, I almost never see these fundamental types of construction issues where I think the shoes are going to fall apart. The stuff we talk about straight out of the box nowadays is almost always purely cosmetic.

100%! I had pre-mature wearing usually holes forming in the heel sock liner. I returned my BM5s after 10 months of daily wear and they gave me the Black Infrared 6s for free. I returned those after 8-10 months for the same problem, and they gave me the Bordeaux 7s for free. B/c 7s have the neoprene liner, no holes developed. I would have done the same with my WC4s back then, but I painted them black so had to actually buy the BM5s...SMH.

LOL got it. Thank you! Yeah, that one has a shape flaw, but to me, it's just standard manufacturer flaws I can accept. Nike/Jordan is a fast-fashion company anyway; this type of stuff was expected. As long as I didn't receive pANdA dUnK LoW quality, it's good to me!
All things considered from what I can see in your pic, I'd keep the pair on the left. It has the thinner-line EP and the height of the toe EP on the left and right shoes looks about the same. The one shoe from the other pair has the ideal EP height, but the other one doesn't, and both have the thicker EP lines.

I accept the reality of inconsistencies, but with the EP on these, they legit used a diff design in diff factories. Would be fun to learn about the backstory around how that went down. At least they should have kept the same design between the left/right shoe factories when they matched up pairs....heh.

I definitely like my EU pair much better than my SNKRS PAIR. Leather is wayyy softer and more tumbled on my EU pair than my SNKRS.

Elephant print on SNKRS pair is over exaggerated

My SNKRS pair feels “cheaper” in quality. Also, the cushioning around the sock-liner is softer than the EU pair.

EU Wins this round💯

17CF74E3-2DC4-4928-AB6A-DEF4BCE69728.jpeg

AF632883-E596-46D4-8735-0D044420060E.jpeg

96978D49-9A62-4CED-8F2D-D260BC695DC8.jpeg

BF9EF395-1B97-4575-947C-61E92B818324.jpeg

97029F22-E432-4DF8-9578-38D3510B9B92.jpeg

19785515-C820-4FCF-87BA-2CA08D5AFC76.jpeg

4D4B57C9-82B6-4A3C-8E26-B1F7808DA3AA.jpeg

C4D2593B-6770-43AD-AEDB-24B954AA1C4B.jpeg

F4478A15-5C41-4F72-BE06-5B45704B4F19.jpeg

EU pair is one of the better I've seen on here. Congrats.

This is also a good pair. Congrats.

7b564fa3c6c5454be669aa1f42dbd401.png

Boy I'd hate to tell you Nike themselves proved that is a lie this year. A LOT of their shoes this year have had TERRIBLE QC. And its been proven that they use cheaper grades of leather while stating the materials are "closer to OG i.e., Georgetown 1s when its the same leather as a cheap AF1"

I wasn't alive back then but i'm sure the people who had the OGs know the leather and QC was MUCH better than now, even if we only have pictures and some videos to compare. There's a reason OGs are high collectibles and not recent retros.
Materials used back then may have been better, but overall build quality and craftsmanship wasn’t at all. Just ask how many dudes on here used to have to send pairs back to Nike for a replacement.

100%! I had pre-mature wearing usually holes forming in the heel sock liner. I returned my BM5s after 10 months of daily wear and they gave me the Black Infrared 6s for free. I returned those after 8-10 months for the same problem, and they gave me the Bordeaux 7s for free. B/c 7s have the neoprene liner, no holes developed. I would have done the same with my WC4s back then, but I painted them black so had to actually buy the BM5s...SMH.
The stores were so consumer-friendly back then when it came to returns and standing behind the products they sold, and what the expectations were for quality and durability/longevity. I wore my first Js, the fire red IVs, for probably five months straight as literally the only pair of sneakers I had other than my on-court basketball shoes. One day, I noticed there were cracks formed INSIDE the outsole flex grooves, where at that point the rubber was thinnest and flexed the most with every step. Even to my eighth-grade eye, it seemed like an unavoidable reality due to how those grooves and the outsole rubber were designed. Well, my dad said it was BS for a pair of five-month old $110 shoes to have that problem, and we returned them with NO problem. I got the original white/blue ... damn, now I can't remember the full name, as a free replacement. They were the latest Air Flights, mid-cut with a kinda puffy soft fabric tongue with the FLIGHT script stitched into it. No visible air. Blue midsole. AYE, it'll come to me. But anyway, point is, good luck trying that move today :lol:

EDIT: Remembered my Sole Provider book has a timeline of shoes in it. It was the original Air Bound. Those were dope LOL

Last edited:
Yeah I wasn’t born back then but when I got into the game in 12, my best friend at the time had OGs and he was older so i always heard stories. I agree that materials might have been better. I would say that back in the day you could hoop in Js and now it’s more of a casual shoe. Different build and comfort. I also prefer the higher cuts and heights than the shorter versions we’ve been getting. But this is coming from someone born in 95 so I don’t have much expertise.

Random question, but the difference between gym red vs fire red is how wide? I ask because I've always wondered plus I copped a gym red Jordan hoodie from the Nike site. It was on sale for $40.

Got my pair in from NEX yesterday. These make the true blue from 2016 and black cement from 2018 just pathetic. I’m still content with those versions but the fire red version just blows them out the water. I’m pretty much done for the year except for the AMM 4’s later this year. Gonna enjoy wearing these as much as possible.
40573381-DF66-4F4C-9E55-D21857FCD45C.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom