Nike Air Jordan Retro Metallic V - 7/23/16

It really got heavy with the 5s tho, I remember MJ hurt his toe and cutt a hole in the black Vs and people started started cutting holes in their shoes also.

I remember a few things people did to "customize" their Vs in my jr. high school.

When Jordan periodically switched to white laces on the black/metallics, all the sudden white laces started popping up on my 8th grade playground.

Other times, kids painted either the netting or the shark teeth (sometimes both) red, because they didn't think the shoes were "Bulls" enough.

Sometimes kids would tie their topmost laces behind the tongue and tuck the tongue in front of the ankle collar to make the tongue more visible and prominent.

It was around this time that I first remember playing with one of those translucent basketballs I keep talking about.

Last edited:
People been getting robbed for their shoes since the 70's

It just makes for a good story when its something new and popular in the public eye

That last pic looks great. My main issue with these was that ridiculously icey blue sole, because it basically added another color to the shoe, but it doesn't look bad there at all. I wasn't planning on copping also bc my 2011's are doing great and don't need to spend more money on shoes, but they're getting on my radar..

We know people been getting robbed for shoes but it was Jordan's and people were getting murdered, where you couldn't go certain places. It was a big deal when those Vs dropped

First big case with Jordan's was in 1989 over a pair of Jordan 4s; folks cane down hard on spike Lee and mj for their marketing of Jordans. but to get back on track, I'm hyped for these and an anticipating the Street gear video

Last edited:
We know people been getting robbed for shoes but it was Jordan's and people were getting murdered, where you couldn't go certain places. It was a big deal when those Vs dropped

It's a sad thing but the media made it a big deal. Watches, jewelry, cars,....people were getting and still are getting robbed in every city. The media hyped it up which only increased demand for Nike

Last edited:
It really got heavy with the 5s tho, I remember MJ hurt his toe and cutt a hole in the black Vs and people started started cutting holes in their shoes also.

He actually hurt his big toe during the '91 finals against the Lakers. Chip Schaefer cut a slit in the toe box of the black VI's to alleviate pressure on MJ's big toe. I remember seeing it during the TV coverage & was like "that perfect toe box is gone" & I couldn't imagine doing the same thing to my pair of black VI's I had [emoji]128077[/emoji].

Last edited:
He actually hurt his big toe during the '91 finals against the Lakers. Chip Schaefer cut a slit in the toe box of the black VI's to alleviate pressure on MJ's big toe. I remember seeing it during the TV coverage & was like "that perfect toe box is gone" & I couldn't imagine doing the same thing to my pair of black VI's I had [emoji]128077[/emoji].
I wonder if this is why they changed the shape?

I wonder if this is why they changed the shape?

Cmon man. The prototype toebox originally had a seam going along the circumference, similar to the v. Maybe Jordan or Tinker, I'm not sure who changed this feature before production began. This "clean" toebox continued with the seven and eight.

Cmon man. The prototype toebox originally had a seam going along the circumference, similar to the v. Maybe Jordan or Tinker, I'm not sure who changed this feature before production began. This "clean" toebox continued with the seven and eight.
I know that it continued but it was just a thought. Jordan having a slit in the toe could have lead to the elevated toe or boot toe on the retros. Not saying it's fact just something that gets you thinking.

I know that it continued but it was just a thought. Jordan having a slit in the toe could have lead to the elevated toe or boot toe on the retros. Not saying it's fact just something that gets you thinking.

So your theory is that MJ hurt his toe in 1991 and then 15 years later, after he was long retired, he decided to give his toe more room by adding a jacked up banana-toe box to retro models he doesn't even ball in?

Even though he continued to play in OG 5's through 14's, all of which had classic low toes?

This does not get me thinking about anything except that it might be one of the most incorrect things Ive ever heard on NT

Last edited:
So your theory is that MJ hurt his toe in 1991 and then 15 years later, after he was long retired, he decided to give his toe more room by adding a jacked up banana-toe box to retro models he doesn't even ball in?

Even though he continued to play in OG 5's through 14's, all of which had classic low toes?

This does not get me thinking about anything except that it might be one of the most incorrect things Ive ever heard on NT

Exactly how could changing the shape of the retro correlate to his injuries while playing in the ogs? Air Doesn't make sense

Last edited:
The curved toebox is better for your foot. It gives a more natural motion when you walk, which is why you see that same shape not just on Retros but 99% of shoes out there like Nike, adidas, Asics, etc.

ya, but i don't like it

This. Sure it's supposedly better for your foot I guess (I've worn uncomfortable Js WITH the curled toebox) but it's still unnecessary on OG Jordans. I don't recall die hard Jordan wearers ever complaining about comfort on a grand scale before to warrant that big of a change. IMO they should leave the classic look and siloette of the OG molds alone for the most part. I don't see Converse or Vans curling their toeboxes.

Last edited:
This. Sure it's supposedly better for your foot I guess (I've worn uncomfortable Js WITH the curled toebox) but it's still unnecessary on OG Jordans. I don't recall die hard Jordan wearers ever complaining about comfort on a grand scale before to warrant that big of a change. IMO they should leave the classic look and siloette of the OG molds alone for the most part. I don't see Converse or Vans curling their toeboxes.

Amen.

people just like to hold onto the aesthetics of the og. Whether it's og or not, on NT og details are superior because they are the former. I remember trying to make a case for the fact that nubuck and be more durable and Less flimsy than durabuck and got blasted.

People will come up with all kinds of rationality as to why the og is better.

Last edited:

Exactly how could changing the shape of the retro correlate to his injuries while playing in the ogs? Air Doesn't make sense
how's that not make sense? that literally makes perfect sense

Back
Top Bottom