Nike Air Jordan Retro Metallic V - 7/23/16

If they retro these with the build of the ‘20 Fire Reds and with 23 on the side they’d be about perfect.

Fire Reds were a solid improvement over the 2016s black metallics..

— Way More comfortable+ supportive midsole (“board lasted”)
— Less puffy/smaller tongue
— Ankle collars little thinner and not extremely stiff like the 2016. Still should be a thinner tho IMO
— The toe box is 100% better. Doesn’t match the OG toe at all but it’s perfect anyways..

Next thing they need to do is fix that 3m tongue. I get it's shinier 3m and I like that but that gloss ain't it, matte it up.

Anyone got pics of 2020 FR toe box for comparison
Wearing a pair right now. Massive difference to those brick-toe 2016s …
0B1503E4-145A-4C58-A5E4-A71B787273B2.jpeg

If i can get them on discount day 1 then bring them back… i paid 135 for my 2016

You know I wish they would go sleeker with all retros. It seems like a no Brainerd for a company that likes to use less and xheaper materials a sleeker toebox seems like less material. But they don't do it.

And it ain't like they don't have the molds or can't borrow an OG pair to reinsert the molds. Sad
You can accommodate more peoples feet in a bulkier toe box. Sleeker/narrower would fit less people and they’d potentially lose out on sales. I’m sure that’s why they do it.

You can accommodate more peoples feet in a bulkier toe box. Sleeker/narrower would fit less people and they’d potentially lose out on sales. I’m sure that’s why they do it.
Unfortunately this is not why they do it.

Nike also makes performance shoes...running, basketball, etc. Most do not have these toe box problems or misfires on quality.

Cheapness, lack of caring, and "the money trains keeps running and only shoe forums talk about this" is why we get knock-off replicas of older shoes that look like junior high kids molded them for a class project.

Unfortunately this is not why they do it.

Nike also makes performance shoes...running, basketball, etc. Most do not have these toe box problems or misfires on quality.

Cheapness, lack of caring, and "the money trains keeps running and only shoe forums talk about this" is why we get knock-off replicas of older shoes that look like junior high kids molded them for a class project.
Yes but performance shoes are geared towards athletes and need to have a snug fit. Casual shoes are geared towards everyone, and are more comfortable when they aren’t squeezing your toes.

Because they aren’t trying to sell a million pairs of flight 89.

There's been a LOT of '89 releases, which I'm sure are in the millions. I doubt anyone is consciously saying, "let's make sleek toe boxes for this model that will hurt people feet with these '89s, but make a more comfortable slant for these Jordans"....Sorry, I don't buy it. It's probably just the due diligence and attention to detail of one product manager vs. another.

Because they aren’t trying to sell a million pairs of flight 89.
To each his own, but you are giving JB too much credit for this one. :lol:

Jordan sells these retros by name, and by hype. Not by quality or how they fit the buyers' toes. This Air Jordan 5 was selling out in 4 seconds regardless of anything. Once they put that name on it and made it "look" like the original...it's over.

The company has had terrible standards for their retros, and those reasons have been rehashed here over and over. These new steel toe boxes (specifically) are not by design to sell more of the shoes. Bottom line.

Not gonna keep going back and forth when nobody truly knows the answer, but I just don’t believe that a multibillion dollar public company is simply too lazy to care about its best selling products. They make them the way they are on purpose. It’s not an oversight.
Their goal is to sell as many shoes as possible at the highest margin, not to make the best looking or best quality products.

The bulky toe became a trend when retros got hot. Nike PROBABLY started it, idk but I do know that other brands were doing it throughout the 2000s.

Now that sleek toe is back, a lot of other brands are doing it on retro shoes. New balance, Adidas, Reebok all have a lot of current retros with sleek toes.

20220418_183849.jpg

Back
Top Bottom