VI Aleali May (W) (3 Years)
1647352980166.jpeg

I KO Chicago (Retro) (8 Years)
1647353015947.jpeg

IX/XIV Countdown Pack (14 Years)
1647353147428.jpeg

V Metallic (Retro) (22 Years)
1647353357528.jpeg

Might be a substance he added for better traction. I never played in the originals but played a lot in the 00 pair. The clear rubber herringbone just doesn’t work as well.

Interesting theory. Could be. They used the Slip-Not pads back then on the sidelines. We used them on my HS team, too. It's just a weird photo because there are plenty of other photos of him that year where you can see the sole bottoms and they are totally clear. We'll never actually know.

How hard were these to get for retail when they came out?

Easy. It was 2016 peak boost boy era.

Makes me want to throw up.
Ha, you should've seen what it was like back in 1990. I got the silver tongue Fire Reds in the spring, two months after they dropped. Months later in the fall of 1990, probably around October, I needed some new shoes. My dad took me to Footlocker and I walked out with a fresh new pair of black metallic Vs (and I was a size 10 or 10.5 at the time, not some obscure size). That's just how it was back then.

Ha, you should've seen what it was like back in 1990. I got the silver tongue Fire Reds in the spring, two months after they dropped. Months later in the fall of 1990, probably around October, I needed some new shoes. My dad took me to Footlocker and I walked out with a fresh new pair of black metallic Vs (and I was a size 10 or 10.5 at the time, not some obscure size). That's just how it was back then.

I was born in '96 so it wasn't possible for me to see that. The 2016 release was the first time these dropped and I had enough money to get a pair. I had just turned 20.

I was born in '96 so it wasn't possible for me to see that. The 2016 release was the first time these dropped and I had enough money to get a pair. I had just turned 20.
I'll probably never know the answer, but I always wonder what production numbers were like then compared to now. Is the difficulty in buying Jordans today because they don't make nearly the same amount, or is it because, unlike then, sneakers and Jordans have become so mainstream and just a normal part of so many people's spending habits that the demand is 10X as high? Today, everyone and their mother buys $150, $200 shoes. Back then it was nowhere near as common to see so many people on the street wearing expensive shoes. If you went to a mall, you might see a couple of people rocking that year's Jordan. Now virtually every person, or every other person, in the mall is wearing this stuff. I suspect it's a combination of the two factors, but then again I wouldn't be surprised to find out production numbers today are actually greater. No one was lining up for sneakers on release day in the late '80s and early '90s. The Concord was the first shoe I ever saw disappear on opening weekend, and it was confusing as hell.

Agreed it's probably both variables. However, I would say the production volume is way higher now (even with the much higher demand) and agree that back then Jordans were nearly twice the price of the average good shoe. I recall my Dad being pissed that I was spending $150 for Jordans (CDN dollars), which was twice the price of a non-Jordan. My Mom appreciated how cool they were, and offered to pay half as a compromise. My Dad didn't think a kid should be wearing sneakers that expensive regardless of who was paying for them. Heh.

Agreed it's probably both variables. However, I would say the production volume is way higher now (even with the much higher demand) and agree that back then Jordans were nearly twice the price of the average good shoe. I recall my Dad being pissed that I was spending $150 for Jordans (CDN dollars), which was twice the price of a non-Jordan. My Mom appreciated how cool they were, and offered to pay half as a compromise. My Dad didn't think a kid should be wearing sneakers that expensive regardless of who was paying for them. Heh.
That’s what I mean. Lots of us either didn’t get them or had to beg, plead and cut deals to get them. Going to the mall to buy shoes was not accepted as a $100-plus proposition like it is now by way more people.
But yeah, they definitely actually make way more pairs today, at least certain models. No way they cranked out a million of each XI colorway back in 95-96. Demand for sure greater today.

I'll probably never know the answer, but I always wonder what production numbers were like then compared to now. Is the difficulty in buying Jordans today because they don't make nearly the same amount, or is it because, unlike then, sneakers and Jordans have become so mainstream and just a normal part of so many people's spending habits that the demand is 10X as high? Today, everyone and their mother buys $150, $200 shoes. Back then it was nowhere near as common to see so many people on the street wearing expensive shoes. If you went to a mall, you might see a couple of people rocking that year's Jordan. Now virtually every person, or every other person, in the mall is wearing this stuff. I suspect it's a combination of the two factors, but then again I wouldn't be surprised to find out production numbers today are actually greater. No one was lining up for sneakers on release day in the late '80s and early '90s. The Concord was the first shoe I ever saw disappear on opening weekend, and it was confusing as hell.
We never let my dad know how much we paid, he would have tossed me and mom.

hey came out with a super dope tshirt to go with these alos, i got a couple of it, ill post pic tomorrow, i have these ds in a size 12 btw!!!

You know I wish they would go sleeker with all retros. It seems like a no Brainerd for a company that likes to use less and xheaper materials a sleeker toebox seems like less material. But they don't do it.

And it ain't like they don't have the molds or can't borrow an OG pair to reinsert the molds. Sad

You know I wish they would go sleeker with all retros. It seems like a no Brainerd for a company that likes to use less and xheaper materials a sleeker toebox seems like less material. But they don't do it.

And it ain't like they don't have the molds or can't borrow an OG pair to reinsert the molds. Sad
If they just looked like the 2020 silver-tongue Fire Reds, it’d be a massive improvement.

Back
Top Bottom