Nike Air Trainer 3 retro's over the years

So anyone else hating this "premium" blue leather insole that bleeds?  After 10 min of casual walking (on a cool morning) it's bleeding on my socks.  I also don't like the feeling of walking with the bit of slippage on the insole.  I guess I could swap out with my '09 insoles.  Does this bleeding stop eventually?  I guess I could wear black no show socks, however, I would still likely see it from my vantage, and it would look stupid.  Should have gone with white leather, or something that doesn't bleed..... Oh well...still an amazing looking shoe.

Oh yeah, not liking the leather tongue that makes it stiffer; kept thinking my laces were too tight.  I guess overall if you're going to give me premium, put premium materials on the upper; I don't need leather insoles and tongue liners... But don't get me wrong; happy they keep making these so I can have a fresh pair; just wish they would keep it OG with this shoe which looked the best, and had the best comfort and great leather quality.

Last edited:
i can't stand it. Ruined my socks. Now I have special beater socks just to wear with them. 
laugh.gif

Maybe I'll buy some after market insoles for the first time in my life ;-).  Had a pair of special edition 360 Nike Air dress shoes from Japan in 2001 (can't recall the model number), which had an insole with small air pockets underneath.  Was super comfy.  Maybe something like that would be good if it doesn't make the shoe too tight.  Thought someone mentioned a zoom air insole in another thread awhile back somewhere.... The ones I had were not zoom air though; they were full on air max bubbles....

Last edited:
So anyone else hating this "premium" blue leather insole that bleeds?  After 10 min of casual walking (on a cool morning) it's bleeding on my socks.  I also don't like the feeling of walking with the bit of slippage on the insole.  I guess I could swap out with my '09 insoles.  Does this bleeding stop eventually?  I guess I could wear black no show socks, however, I would still likely see it from my vantage, and it would look stupid.  Should have gone with white leather, or something that doesn't bleed..... Oh well...still an amazing looking shoe.

Oh yeah, not liking the leather tongue that makes it stiffer; kept thinking my laces were too tight.  I guess overall if you're going to give me premium, put premium materials on the upper; I don't need leather insoles and tongue liners... But don't get me wrong; happy they keep making these so I can have a fresh pair; just wish they would keep it OG with this shoe which looked the best, and had the best comfort and great leather quality.

i switched insoles to Dr Scholls, do that with all my retros anyways.

They should put the navy blue back on the sole's traction pods as well...stop skimpin.

And ya, I don't like this 'ballistic' mesh or whatever its called on the tongue/collar...bring back the soft, plush stuff.

And finally - stop skimpin on the perforations...we need more perforation!!!

They should put the navy blue back on the sole's traction pods as well...stop skimpin.

And ya, I don't like this 'ballistic' mesh or whatever its called on the tongue/collar...bring back the soft, plush stuff.

And finally - stop skimpin on the perforations...we need more perforation!!!
The OG perforations definitely look much better; not sure why they're not doing that since about '01.  Maybe the new materials can't handle it and lose their shape or strength?  I don't mind the white traction pods as the blue wears off anyway leaving you with all white.  Overall, I like my '09s better except for the weird dent in the front toe box, and the fact that the midsole is now cracked.  The materials on these are really no better.  For me, once the midsole cracks on these (and Jordan 3s and 4s), even when the upper is pristine VNDS, it ruins the shoe for me....

I recall when I got my snakeskin Trainer 3, the midsole cracked after the 2nd wear (casually walking); that was my first time getting into retros...I was like WTF....If I had some self control I would stick with my current collection and stop buying new shoes that are just going to crack and look like crap....heh.  

The OG perforations definitely look much better; not sure why they're not doing that since about '01.  Maybe the new materials can't handle it and lose their shape or strength? 
Funny thing is that Nike does more perforations to the AT1 retros compared to the AT1 OGs. And less perforations to the AT3 retros compared to the AT3 OGs...

Here you go.  Lots of paint cracking, which I expected, however, left shoe began so crumble; may no longer be wearable....crap.  It's driving me nuts that with all of this model that they retroed the past couple of years, they refuse to bring back this OG coloway!

View media item 2206076

View media item 2206077

View media item 2206078

So beautiful. I ordered these in 1987 or '88 (well, my mom did for me). Actually ordered med balls but these came to the door from Eastbay. Pre Internet so it was a total surprise, had no idea this color was releasing. Incorrect order that I decided I was very happy they messed up on. Such sick colorways they used to devise!

So beautiful. I ordered these in 1987 or '88 (well, my mom did for me). Actually ordered med balls but these came to the door from Eastbay. Pre Internet so it was a total surprise, had no idea this color was releasing. Incorrect order that I decided I was very happy they messed up on. Such sick colorways they used to devise!
Man, you lucked out with that mistake!  I wanted them so badly back then, however, the store didn't have my size, and I didn't want to drag my mom 15min across town to get them...bad decision!  Got the white and grey TWs instead and regretted it everyday thereafter.  Need a wearable pair of these asap!

Seen that poster many times....After all these years, I still love the look of this shoe and this colorway the best!  With all the trainer 3s since '14, I wish someone could explain why they haven't brought this one back.....

I finally UnDS'ed the Medicine Balls today (had them since drop).  I can't believe I waited this long - I think I was scared by the reports of the pinky toe, but I love them.

I finally UnDS'ed the Medicine Balls today (had them since drop).  I can't believe I waited this long - I think I was scared by the reports of the pinky toe, but I love them.

They hurt my pinky toe at first & for a while. :smh:
They took A LOT of wears to break in for the pinky toe to start to open up...but it did & i was pleasantly surprised....8)...never happened with the 09 pair

small upgrade in mats made the difference imo

Anyone who has either the suede black or grey with gum bottom, and wears them, find that the paint is cracking, or do they hold up nicely?

Anyone who has either the suede black or grey with gum bottom, and wears them, find that the paint is cracking, or do they hold up nicely?

One small speck of pain chipped on one shoe. Otherwise still holding up fine. Worn maybe 6-7 times

Back
Top Bottom