Nike Air Zoom Kobe V Review - The Greatest Basketball Shoe of ALL TIME

Finally put in enough hours to put up a review, and I wanted to share my thought with everyone in case anyone is on the fence or had some questions. I'm reviewing these exclusively as performance shoes, but I talk a little about the appearance. If you care about stats - 6'2", about 230, which as big as I've ever been, size 12

Fit: Impeccable. I'm a true 12 in Nike and ordered a 12, they fit like a sock. The last is more like a foot than any other shoe I've ever worn, looking down at my feet it looks like the shoe is just an outline of my foot, the shape of the shoe is perfect. My feet are a little wide but not massively so, to test further I asked my friend who also wears a 12 but has narrow feet. He said they fit him perfectly, too, so the fit and lock down on these is great no matter what your foot type is - order your true size.

Support: Top notch. Since the shoe fits so perfectly, it took me a few hours to really appreciate how subtly it works. There's never a second when you have to think about your feet or worry about your base. The Vs are a little stiff for the first few hours, but they break in and mold to your foot even more so; like a leather wallet that starts curving. I'm blown away by the next-gen flywire; it's actually more substantive than I thought and of course light as hell. My feet felt great after long days on the court, never a blister or sore feet or knee problems.

Comfort/Cushioning: Perfect, for the third time. The back of the heel is split and soft foam, while the rest of the shoe is reinforced with carbon fiber and cushioned with zoom air. This makes the ride absolutely smooth, there's a bounce under the ball of your foot and your heel, soft enough to cushion the landing but hard enough to let you feel the ground and use your foot naturally. It's an ideal setup. The tongue became my favorite part of the shoe once I started playing in the Vs, and it's a big part of the comfort. Wrapped from the sides of the midsole, the tongue is actually basically an inner-bootie for the front of your foot. It's flexible, comfortable, breathable, and just tight enough to feel like a second skin. The back of your foot is covered by the heel cup, which locks down your foot and is cushioned enough to make it comfortable.

Nike-Zoom-Kobe-V-Away-2.jpg

This is the first time in a while I've been legitimately impressed with a Nike product. The design is utterly beautiful - heel cup, cushioning on the back of the shoe, padded tongue bootie and flywire on the front, which means no wasted material, no weight, no bulky designs, nothing that shouldn't be there. Underfoot the carbon fiber gives the shoe a rock solid feel, combined with the zoom bags and the outrigger, you hardly notice you're wearing shoes. I'm not including ankle protection in my review but it's a low cut shoe, but it would qualify as a 10/10 under most guidelines. My ankle was free to move and flex naturally and I never even tweaked my ankle, even after some nasty cuts and stepping on other people's feet.

The design of these - I have the Aways - is also something I wanted to mention. These are the first basketball shoes I've ever worn that have gotten RAVES from everyone. I've balled in a lot of kicks, but never have I gotten the reaction the Kobe V has. The purple is really hot in person, and the yellow sets off the back. Much better looking in person, especially in a well-lit gym. Girls at the gym gave me props, dudes on my team decided to cop them after seeing them on feet, these are a beautiful shoe. And after many hours of ball, they still look brand new.

I'm not exaggerating or being a hypebeast when I say this: The Kobe V is the best performance basketball shoe I've ever worn in my life. It's not even close. It's a perfect basketball shoe.

100/100
A+
10/10
etc.

Maybe someday something better will come out, but for right now, there's no shoe that's as good as the Kobe V. I'm actually going to sell all my other kicks I have stored to ball and just use the money to cop more Vs, because these are the best basketball shoes ever made.  Frankly, I've been using them as my running and weightlifting shoes too, and I haven't had a better pair. I ran a few miles in them the other day outdoors on asphalt and they are comfy, minimalist shoes. Great for basically everything. I'm tempted to call these the best athletic shoes of all time. If you could put cleats on them I'd wear it for baseball, football, or soccer or anything on the grass.

Fellas, I'm crowning them: The Kobe V is the greatest basketball shoe of all time. Everything else can take a step back, the champ is here

wow what a glowing review....I have only worn mine to shoot around not to ball in yet...

well, on that note i really want to get a pair.  just the 130 price tag has my poorness in very high perspective.  I might have to salvage what i have to get them, thanks for the review hope i can cop a pair

I wish these were a little higher just like the IV . That would add a little bit to the sense of security when going in for rebounding , etc.

Originally Posted by KenJi714

I wish these were a little higher just like the IV . That would add a little bit to the sense of security when going in for rebounding , etc.

it seriously is not even that huge of a difference...especially at the final hole...and i like it better because it is a tad lower...

for the thread starter...what are your feelings about the traction? I, like others but not all, are quite disappointed with the traction of the shoes especially if you have had the iv's before this...just wanted to know what you felt about it...other then that great great review...I actually am going to be getting rid of the rest of my shoes as well, except for my iv's so I can get more of these even if it's just for casual wear or to workout in because they are just tthat comfortable!

The fact that many other NBA players wear Kobe's even when they're playing against the Lakers says it all.

Originally Posted by palanilopez12

Originally Posted by KenJi714

it seriously is not even that huge of a difference...especially at the final hole...and i like it better because it is a tad lower...

for the thread starter...what are your feelings about the traction? I, like others but not all, are quite disappointed with the traction of the shoes especially if you have had the iv's before this...just wanted to know what you felt about it...other then that great great review...I actually am going to be getting rid of the rest of my shoes as well, except for my iv's so I can get more of these even if it's just for casual wear or to workout in because they are just tthat comfortable!
A sense of security is something that has to do with your own mind, not the shoe you're wearing. You can grab some high Chucks and lace them to your calf if that helps your brain, but I'm happy with the cut of the Kobe V where it is. I've always balled in lows, so my peace of mind is fine.

I had no problems with the traction. I've been playing in a quality gym and I'm on the heavier side, so maybe that helps
laugh.gif
. I never slipped or anything or noticed a problem.

Thanks for the review it was very insightful! OP, from what ive read from your other posts; you are in no way, shape, or form a Nike elitist. With that being said, it validates how good this shoe really is. Im actually thinking about scooping up a pair now when the funds come in. Just out of curiousity, did you wear mid cut or no show socks?

So would these be a good shoe to workout in? I probably wouldn't ball in these cause I don't like wearing lows but would these be alright to run, train, lift in ect..?

Originally Posted by ZombieJesus12

Maybe someday something better will come out, but for right now, there's no shoe that's as good as the Kobe V. I'm actually going to sell all my other kicks I have stored to ball and just use the money to cop more Vs, because these are the best basketball shoes ever made.  Frankly, I've been using them as my running and weightlifting shoes too, and I haven't had a better pair. I ran a few miles in them the other day outdoors on asphalt and they are comfy, minimalist shoes. Great for basically everything. I'm tempted to call these the best athletic shoes of all time. If you could put cleats on them I'd wear it for baseball, football, or soccer or anything on the grass.
^There you go homie, from the review.

To elaborate: definitely, yes. These are PERFECT gym shoes. I always had to have two, because either like my ball shoe is too bulky to run in or the running shoes are too beat to ball in or something like that. With weightlifting, you need basically a tight shoe that has a stable base WITHOUT a soft cushioning base (like lifting with the 360 or the Bron VII would be idiotic). For running you need a minimalist, light shoe (you should be running on the balls of your feet, FYI), and for ball you need the Kobe V.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
So all 3 categories are without a doubt filled by the Kobe V.

I seriously think Nike could just throw these in the performance category of every athletic activity and it would be perfect - for tennis, for training, for running, indoor soccer, you name it.

^^Thanks I appreciate that. Must have skimmed over that part. Looks like I'll be buying my first pair of kobe's since the 1's then. Been needing a solid "training" shoe for workouts.

Great review.  Can't wait to hoop in mine when they arrive.  Copped the Dark Knights and Chaos.

To elaborate: definitely, yes. These are PERFECT gym shoes. I always had to have two, because either like my ball shoe is too bulky to run in or the running shoes are too beat to ball in or something like that. With weightlifting, you need basically a tight shoe that has a stable base WITHOUT a soft cushioning base (like lifting with the 360 or the Bron VII would be idiotic). For running you need a minimalist, light shoe (you should be running on the balls of your feet, FYI), and for ball you need the Kobe V.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
So all 3 categories are without a doubt filled by the Kobe V. 

If you're weightlifting and doing squats actually you should wear shoes with no cushion like NIke Frees and Chuck Taylors. Kobe Vs still have a very soft cushioning base. You want to be able to feel your feet.

^You're technically right about that, but let me clarify:

1. I don't think the Kobe V is a "soft" cushioning base. It's zoom air in two packs, one at your heel and one on the ball of your foot. You can feel them, but they're not pillowy or anything. They're little bits of responsive air. Part of what I loved so much about the V is the underfoot feel, as I said in the review: the shoe gives you a small amount of support with a solid feel, while at the same time letting your foot work naturally. It's the best of both world. The cush setup isn't like the BB1 or the Huarache 2008 where the zoom air is bigger and the shoe is higher off the ground. The V is a minimalist shoe that's really close to the ground
  2. I don't do squats or think they're very worthwhile of an exercise (running barefoot or minimalist style gets your legs in great shape without weights), so if you're doing them a lot, get some chucks because Mr. Friendly is right. But for the gym work that I do and like 99% of guys do the Vs are fantastic.

ZombieJesus12 wrote:
  1. I don't do squats or think they're very worthwhile of an exercise (running barefoot or minimalist style gets your legs in great shape without weights), so if you're doing them a lot, get some chucks because Mr. Friendly is right. But for the gym work that I do and like 99% of guys do the Vs are fantastic.

I've heard that squats are arguably the best workout you can do, especially for an athlete.  It works out your entire lower body - quads, hamstrings and calves.

OT, but: I don't think they're useful for me, personally. Go run barefoot style for a few months, and throw some lunges with weights in your hands in there, and for me that's been much more effective than any squat workout routine has been. That's all I'm saying.

Originally Posted by VoodooIT

ZombieJesus12 wrote:
  1. I don't do squats or think they're very worthwhile of an exercise (running barefoot or minimalist style gets your legs in great shape without weights), so if you're doing them a lot, get some chucks because Mr. Friendly is right. But for the gym work that I do and like 99% of guys do the Vs are fantastic.

I've heard that squats are arguably the best workout you can do, especially for an athlete.  It works out your entire lower body - quads, hamstrings and calves.

Yeah I heard that too. It just feels like it reeks havoc of your knees at heavy weights. But you definitely feel thru your whole lower body

Back
Top Bottom