Nike Air Zoom Kobe V Review - The Greatest Basketball Shoe of ALL TIME

hmm... looks like Kobe is going to be sitting his weak butt out with an ankle injury... maybe he should have purchased some ankle insurance, haha.

Originally Posted by clkru

hmm... looks like Kobe is going to be sitting his weak butt out with an ankle injury... maybe he should have purchased some ankle insurance, haha.
lol. "ankle insurance". kobe has played in real pain lately. his ankle, back, and finger are affecting him. if he was more healthy his team would probably doing better. we have to give him a lot of credit though, not much guys could play through his injuries. by the way, he ain't "weak".

^hey man, as a committed Kobe-hater, I gotta bust his chops whenever possible...

just getting the word out about his ankle injury... had Lamar stepped on his foot in the Kobe 3, he might be in a better way right now. Too bad Kobe injured his weak ankle in the low-cut V... I was really thinking this low fad was going somewhere.

just getting the word out about his ankle injury... had Lamar stepped on his foot in the Kobe 3, he might be in a better way right now. Too bad Kobe injured his weak ankle in the low-cut V... I was really thinking this low fad was going somewhere.
You're an idiot.

Originally Posted by jlab0ch0

May i see pics of your Vs now after all your wearings? I got a pair of DK's i wanna play ball in and i would like to know if they really don't crease and keep their shape. Thanks.

Don't have a camera on me right now but for everyone asking about creasing and wear - these are holding up GREAT. I didn't even care about creasing but now that I've seen a shoe that has spent 20 hours on the court and 20 more in the gym/treadmill with NO creases I'm even more impressed.

They're
pimp.gif
still. But I haven't broken out the DK colorway in my avy yet

Originally Posted by ZombieJesus12

Originally Posted by jlab0ch0

May i see pics of your Vs now after all your wearings? I got a pair of DK's i wanna play ball in and i would like to know if they really don't crease and keep their shape. Thanks.

Don't have a camera on me right now but for everyone asking about creasing and wear - these are holding up GREAT. I didn't even care about creasing but now that I've seen a shoe that has spent 20 hours on the court and 20 more in the gym/treadmill with NO creases I'm even more impressed.

They're
pimp.gif
still. But I haven't broken out the DK colorway in my avy yet

That's good to hear man. Thanks for the info.

why do people come on a KOBE page just to talk bad about The Mamba...Whats the point....These shoes are fire.... I loved the 4s but thses 5s are CRAZY.... Im seriously over high tops... and thats saying alot.... GO LAKERS....

Originally Posted by ZombieJesus12

You're an idiot.
Probably one of those lame Jordan or Lebron fan. Hey clkru you're going to get your ankle sprain if you land on someone else feet son. It doesn't matter what shoes you wear.

Pic request

(after a few weeks of balling, gym-ing, and even a few runs around the neighborhood, these are my Aways. Incredible that these hold up so effing well)

13e2596ee2d5fc34d1f38bc6615866d15faee51.jpg

http://nicekicks.com/2010...be-v-performance-review/

This review has some questionable and inconsistent information:

"After two weeks of play, the Lunar Foam is already showing wear as isthe outsole. It seems as if the Lunar Foam will not bottom out as fastas other shoes with the same technology because it is backed with aCarbon Fiber plate and Zoom Air cushioning."

There is no Lunar Foam in the Kobe V only Zoom in the heel and forefoot. I think the reviewer has taken parts from the Kobe IV review and either mistakenly/lazily included this in the review of the V.

"Lockdown problems led to stability issues when played while wearing athinner sock. You can attribute this more to lack of friction withinthe shoe as opposed to performance flaws seeing as the lockdown hasbeen phenomenal when wearing heavier socks."

I'm not even sure what this means. Is he saying the interior of the shoe is so smooth that when worn with a thinner sock, internal slipping occurs? I personally don't think so, since I've worn the Kobe V with thin Asics Kinsei no show socks and Thorlo BMX Thick Mini-Crew socks and the lockdown achieved with the shoe was exactly the same. It could be possible the reviewer may have worn a size .5 or 1 larger than true size.

In any event, I was amazed how well the Kobe V performed in my wearings. I've worn the shoe (away color) all last week, in three sessions of ball, each about 1.5 hours for over four hours of total wear. I'm 6'2 230 as a frame of reference and typically go with shoes that have at least one air bag; recent Blue Chip II and Air Max Rise.

The two things which stood out the most for me was the traction (helped by the low profile of the shoe), and the weight. In all my years of playing, I've never experienced such a stark improvement in these areas when switching from on shoe to another, particularly the weight. I have to agree with a previous person on this thread, that the Kobe V are almost too light. Your activity level in all phases of the game will pick up noticeably, and that's very, very good!

The traction in my case was better in that one court I play in on the week is dirty (shared with kids and stuff) so I needed something which would perform on that impaired surface. The traction on the Kobe V passed this test with flying colors. I had no issues slipping either after landing, taking a first step to drive, backpedaling in transition, or planting and driving laterally in defense. The more I played the less I became conscious of each of these movements and just started playing free and quick. I believe that's what good traction should inspire in your performance on the court. Because of that, this shoe is now an integral part of my rotation (also wearing Air Max Turnaround, and LB VII).

Now being that I'm on the larger size, I noticed some leg and knee soreness after the second wearing, so I went out and purchased a Spenco Polysorb CrossTrainer Cushioned insole which I wore with the Kobe's on the third day of play last week. I believe it helped some with impact protection, even though my legs and knee were still sore, but I think the lingering soreness had more to do with the first two days of play. I'll continue to watch this as I play more now with the Spenco insoles. I would say I'm not even considering giving up my Kobe V, since the performance enhancement playing in these  is just too great.

Whats the fitment like? True to size? (or in comparison to the 2K4?)

Also, hows the cushioning? Is it soft? - I have heard its a lot firmer than the KBIV - is there a similarity between the cushioning in the 2K4?

Lastly, hows the ankle support? I am big on it, its more of a subconcious thing, I love having high cut shoes. This is probably the issue limiting me purchasing this shoe.

Originally Posted by I3

Whats the fitment like? True to size? (or in comparison to the 2K4?)

Also, hows the cushioning? Is it soft? - I have heard its a lot firmer than the KBIV - is there a similarity between the cushioning in the 2K4?

Lastly, hows the ankle support? I am big on it, its more of a subconcious thing, I love having high cut shoes. This is probably the issue limiting me purchasing this shoe.
Fitment:
I found this very true to size and the Kobe V hugs your foot unlike any basketball shoe possibly EVER! Its ligthweight, the Kobe V-specific Flywire fits more like a skin than other implementations and just works completely in concert with your foot. Possibly the only thing I've ever worn even close to this was the And1 Mad Game; http://www.pickyourshoes....and1_mad_game_silver.htm (Hello, And1 PLEASE, PLEASE bring this shoe back!!!)

Cushioning:
Cushioning is firm when putting the Kobe V on initially, but is responsive as expected from Zoom Air when starting to play. The cushioning, more specifically the responsiveness is present throughout play, and once done and walking around after your game the responsiveness is more present in your gate than when initially putting the shoe on. It will feel like a light Zoom running shoe like the Nike Zoom Start+ or Zoom Trail+, so it does seem to break in a bit and soften the more use you give it. That's preferred opposed to cushioning so soft, that over time breaks down or bottoms out (Lunar
frown.gif
) to nothing.

Ankle Support:
I think this is the most subjective part of the shoe. I have a friend who curses me every time I bring out the Kobe Vs and he is smaller with stronger ankles that I have, but flat out refuses to go to a low for playing basketball. I'm more open minded to this since years ago I balled quite well and for several months in the And1 Mad Game and had no issues. I think if you are on the fence or open minded, to please give this shoe a shot. Nike, Eric Avar, and the Kobe V design team did a real good job here, in contrast to several other recent Nike offerings. The Kobe V doesn't blaze a new trail in terms of expectations from a low, like the Kobe IV did, but simply builds on the greatness of that shoe and shoots the Kobe V(in terms of performance/fit/weight) into a whole new level never before seen in a basketball shoe.

^ Thanks buddy!

I actually had a pair of Mad Games in the white/orange - back when Spreewell was the man lol.

Im not a fan of soft cushioning either, like the Flightposite 3's were way too soft - similar to the Answer IV. Im a fan of firmish cushioning, it makes me feel more explosive etc.. I think i'll have to give these shoes a go, but its debateable for what colorway to proceed with.

Currently im up in the air between the BLs or the blackouts.. or ID's. Might invest in thicker socks too!

thanks for your review op.. i havent bought my pair yet, but i did fit one at my local store. its funny that these shoes look a lot slimmer than the iv yet they fit true to size,,

your review actually confirmed my initial thoughts when i walked around with the v's on my feet.. ''these are the best basketball shoes ever''

again op thanks for the great review

thanks for your review op.. i havent bought my pair yet, but i did fit one at my local store. its funny that these shoes look a lot slimmer than the iv yet they fit true to size,,

your review actually confirmed my initial thoughts when i walked around with the v's on my feet.. ''these are the best basketball shoes ever''

again op thanks for the great review

almost perfect ZombieJesus12, The ZKVI has to have a full on herringbone traction pattern instead of that exaggerated "ECG" one, and have the heel zoom air AND an actual sized forefoot zoom air unit, if not a full length one. idk if they can go any lighter than this considering that it is basically a one layer tpu skin w/ flywire. To reduce weight Nike could always go lower (i don't know how much further you could go...), but just as long as there is an outrigger, excellent traction, low midsole height, heel cup lockdown, and flywire one to one fit, you can go as low as a soccer boot in my opinion. The ZKVI would be the perfect basketball shoe if it had all these things... after that it should be interesting, because i don't see anything to be improved upon.

I tried on a size 9.5 today and it felt narrow to me. Enough space at the toes to wiggle around.

Went ahead and copped a size 10. Felt alot better, but I cant help but think how big my foot looks (mental thing). I had Lots more space at the toes.

Does the shoe loosen up? Will the 10 end up being too loose? Sorry, if it was already mentioned.....hella sleepy right now...

Thanks.

Originally Posted by SNKRHD93

almost perfect ZombieJesus12, The ZKVI has to have a full on herringbone traction pattern instead of that exaggerated "ECG" one, and have the heel zoom air AND an actual sized forefoot zoom air unit, if not a full length one. idk if they can go any lighter than this considering that it is basically a one layer tpu skin w/ flywire. To reduce weight Nike could always go lower (i don't know how much further you could go...), but just as long as there is an outrigger, excellent traction, low midsole height, heel cup lockdown, and flywire one to one fit, you can go as low as a soccer boot in my opinion. The ZKVI would be the perfect basketball shoe if it had all these things... after that it should be interesting, because i don't see anything to be improved upon.

I can see what you're saying but I still stick to my review. The traction has been great for me, never slipped or even noticed it. As for the zoom air thing, I think the setup is perfect the way it is. Playing on a full-length air bag or having a zoom bag under the whole of the ball of your foot for me would DECREASE court feel. Part of what I love about the V is that it's a perfect mix of being able to feel the floor and letting your foot work naturally while still at the same time giving you support and cushioning for basketball moves.

I imagine in a few years they'll figure out how to do this even better, with better tech or better materials or something. Hell, maybe the Kobe VI or VII will be the best of the signature line. But for right now, the V is my GOAT ball shoe.

Peep the Sneak, PM sent. Short version - the shoes will break in a loosen up after a little while. It SHOULD feel sort of right around your feet, because the shoe is made to fit very close.

"Bryant, who will not play in this weekend's NBA All-Star Game, has played through back, finger and groin ailments this season but has not been able to shake an ankle problem that forced him to miss a game through injury for the first time since late in the 2005-06 season."

I know Kobe's a bit on the wimpy side and all, but this isn't good PR for the V...

^You're cute.

Maybe jamming his finger will be bad press for the Spalding brand basketball the NBA uses.

You moron.

Back
Top Bottom