Nike Ja 1 | Ja Morant’s First Signature Shoe

:lol: at getting all the way HERE to not say Stephen A was wrong about Kyrie “hurting” Nike’s pockets when he easily had the most non Kobe/Jordan popular line in the league lol. That was a decade ago my ***** :lol: what that gotta do with Kyrie having the most popping line now? It don’t matter cuz in some alternate universe they shoulda signed Steph? :rofl:

Also lol @ it has nothing to do with him and then say the love for his line was gonna stop soon because he’s 31 :lol: which is it?

Life is stranger than fiction though because for every “problem” they thought they had with Kyrie…:lol: a wannabe street ***** is ten times more of a headache.

If Kyrie was so important and it's because of Kyrie that these sneakers are being sold, then why did they let him go?

It's not as if Kyrie's were flying off the shelves, most would go on sale. It's a budget model. If a kid wants a pair of kicks for ball, their parents are going to get the $120 as opposed to the $200 model. It's not Kyrie, it's the price point.

That's why even after he was dropped, people didn't run out and buy Kyrie's. You can still get Kyrie's on sale. That right there tells you a lot. When Adidas canceled stuff with Kanye, as wild as everything was. They ran out and bought the last remaining Yeezy models no matter with how ugly they are. Kyrie's are probably still on Nike and Footlockers sites.

Kyries were ubiquitous. Can't rewrite history. They were at every level. I'd play with guys and almost inevitably somebody had Kyries on. In college, tons of guys playing with them. In the pros any time I looked through game pictures somebody had on kyries, whether it was guards, forwards or even centers.

People didn't run out and buy Kyries en masse because he was associated with anti-Semitic stuff, and they're more performers for the most part, than casual wear shoes.
On top of that, Kyrie just is lost mentally. I know better than to try to diagnose someone with a personality disorder from afar, but dude is just seriously unpredictable. And big businesses hate unpredictability.

I would have bought these Ja 1s if they were good shoes but from the looks of it, they're cheap and ill fitting. If Ja gets his self together and stops with the gun **** and the 2s come out and they're actually good to play in, I'll grab a pair.

Any Grizzlies fans that have a sense of if they'll ultimately trade Ja?

I'm sure this has been said but this thread got real messy in the wake of Ja's IG stuff. So I apologize for not reading back through all the banter.

What's the consensus on performance?

Kyries were ubiquitous. Can't rewrite history. They were at every level. I'd play with guys and almost inevitably somebody had Kyries on. In college, tons of guys playing with them. In the pros any time I looked through game pictures somebody had on kyries, whether it was guards, forwards or even centers.

People didn't run out and buy Kyries en masse because he was associated with anti-Semitic stuff, and they're more performers for the most part, than casual wear shoes.
On top of that, Kyrie just is lost mentally. I know better than to try to diagnose someone with a personality disorder from afar, but dude is just seriously unpredictable. And big businesses hate unpredictability.

I would have bought these Ja 1s if they were good shoes but from the looks of it, they're cheap and ill fitting. If Ja gets his self together and stops with the gun **** and the 2s come out and they're actually good to play in, I'll grab a pair.

You do realize that 10 Yeezy's just dropped yesterday, right?

I'm sure this has been said but this thread got real messy in the wake of Ja's IG stuff. So I apologize for not reading back through all the banter.

What's the consensus on performance?
IMO really solid all round performers at the price point. Light, good traction, materials aren't premium but they seem durable and breathable, forefoot zoom, I do have concerns that the heel cushioning bottoms out sooner than later but right now cushioning is good after multiple runs.

I really like my Day 1 pair. Haven't put them to use on court yet though.

A lot of great performance models dropped in the past year and it takes a while for me to wear a shoe out just playing indoors.

You do realize that 10 Yeezy's just dropped yesterday, right?

Yeezys sell on hype. Kyries never sold on hype, they sold on being a good shoe for balling. Hypebeasts care about hype. Hoopers aint got time to deal with anti-Semitic nonsense arguments, they tryin to hoop.

But think what you want. Meaning I don't care enough to belabor the point. I hope Ja gets his **** together before he shoots somebody on some dumb **** and becomes a sad story. Much rather see him back to being ridiculous on the court.

Yeezys sell on hype. Kyries never sold on hype, they sold on being a good shoe for balling. Hypebeasts care about hype. Hoopers aint got time to deal with anti-Semitic nonsense arguments, they tryin to hoop.

But think what you want. Meaning I don't care enough to belabor the point. I hope Ja gets his **** together before he shoots somebody on some dumb **** and becomes a sad story. Much rather see him back to being ridiculous on the court.

:rofl:

or maybe they already have a bunch of Kyrie's to play in and they're interchangeable with other models and have moved on.

I never played in a Kyrie post the Kyrie 2. Those things were such bricks I left his line completely alone. I heard they got way better though from other people.

KD's for some odd reason have been the far away best sigs for me as a whole, Love the Lebron 20 and the fact I can play in the shoe of my favorite player again.

:rofl:

or maybe they already have a bunch of Kyrie's to play in and they're interchangeable with other models and have moved on.

Sure! I'm not even sure what we're arguing about at this point :lol: Was it some perceived disparity between how Nike has treated Ja vs Kyrie? Or Ja's shoes vs Kyries shoes?

I dunno. Just want Ja to get right, be productive, make money and have a great career.

This is all nonsense, lol.

Anyways still no news of the scratches ever being released?

LMAO

I asked this when they first dropped ****** came up with everything in the book other than pics of them being worn casually lol

1685562830395.jpeg

Nasty Work
Thanks for the reply. They look good casually. I have pair of the trivias I haven't worn yet. I just wanted to see the casually since I never have before.

If Kyrie was so important and it's because of Kyrie that these sneakers are being sold, then why did they let him go?

Both sides were being stubborn. Ky for tweeting that and then not just being like my bad and then Nike dropped him (and had Phil who probably has never publicly acknowledged Kyrie before, specifically say he’s done :lol:) once the whole thing had already kinda blown over. Ironically as they don’t acknowledge Ja’s 4KT shenanigans at all lol.

He was a 20 point scorer with perceived ankle problems. He would have stayed with Nike on a low offer if they put any sort of effort into his pitch. He would have been wearing a Nike basketball sneaker and would have gotten his own sneaker.

Under Armour gave him 4 million a year which is probably 5 to 10 times more than Nike offered.

Steph wasn’t a priority at Nike and Steph wanted to start something new, and Under Armor was that something new. They also made him a priority by giving him his own shoe which is something Nike wasn’t doing in 2012, but Under Armor did.

I can only speak for self when it comes to Steph. After ESPN did that doc on him while at Davidson I felt he could be a superstar in the NBA. Did I think he’d reach GOAT status? No. I knew the talk would be he’s too small at first. But his quickness on and off the ball to get his shot had me mesmerized. He played with a lot of heart! Was praying the Lakers would somehow get him lol. It was his injuries early on that had me worried he wouldn’t reach his potential. I made a similar argument for Joakim Noah coming out of college. He didn’t have size, nor a a lot of skill. But I really felt his heart, leadership, and desire to win would help him have a decent career.

Still mad Steph not a Nike athlete. His UA sig has been decent but I just can’t get with the UA logo…eyesore

I can definitely understand where you're coming from regarding thinking that Steph would be a star. Coming out of college one just never knows how it's gonna translate to the NBA.

We all knew that he could shoot, dibble but would his size, speed and quickness translate to the NBA?

That was the question.

Regarding him being at Nike. No one saw him becoming STEPH because it took 5 or 6 years for Steph to become STEPH.

Regarding his UA shoes, the UA logo never bothered me but apparently people can't stand it! :rofl:

Both sides were being stubborn. Ky for tweeting that and then not just being like my bad and then Nike dropped him (and had Phil who probably has never publicly acknowledged Kyrie before, specifically say he’s done :lol:) once the whole thing had already kinda blown over. Ironically as they don’t acknowledge Ja’s 4KT shenanigans at all lol.

Their relationship was done when he had diarrhea all over the leaks of the Infinity's! :rofl:

They were already parting ways, the documentary just made the parting quicker and more abrupt.

I can definitely understand where you're coming from regarding thinking that Steph would be a star. Coming out of college one just never knows how it's gonna translate to the NBA.

We all knew that he could shoot, dibble but would his size, speed and quickness translate to the NBA?

That was the question.

Regarding him being at Nike. No one saw him becoming STEPH because it took 5 or 6 years for Steph to become STEPH.

Regarding his UA shoes, the UA logo never bothered me but apparently people can't stand it! :rofl:
Want them ASG joints from this year but that damn logo lol

Under Armour could have had a Air Jordan moment with Steph that cut the gap between them and the other companies but their shoes are just so ugly lol.

Under Armour gave him 4 million a year which is probably 5 to 10 times more than Nike offered.

Steph wasn’t a priority at Nike and Steph wanted to start something new, and Under Armor was that something new. They also made him a priority by giving him his own shoe which is something Nike wasn’t doing in 2012, but Under Armor did.

Yeah, it was Nike's mistake. People often take less because it's Nike. You've been wearing them your whole life. Zion took less. Nike had a big head and didn't put any effort into the pitch. They used a pitch from KD and didn't even know his first name.

They also let Harden go and he really didn't want to. They back tracked later after you got the Giannis, PG, Ja....

Yeah, it was Nike's mistake. People often take less because it's Nike. You've been wearing them your whole life. Zion took less. Nike had a big head and didn't put any effort into the pitch. They used a pitch from KD and didn't even know his first name.

They also let Harden go and he really didn't want to. They back tracked later after you got the Giannis, PG, Ja....

Adidas gave Harden 200 million and the only way Nike wouldn't given him 200 million was if the contract was for 200 years! :rofl:

And you're right, players do and will wear Nike's because that's what they're used to wearing and will take a lay cut to wear them.

But many players are smartening up. Nike offers 300k-500k a year plus shoes and many aren't going for it anymore.

Not when other brands are offering them millions to wear their shoes. Puma, Li-Ning etc.

We can talk about "Nike missed this and that" but realistically, we can't have 10-15 sneaker signature athletes under one brand. There's a lot of R&D that goes into making a sneaker, it's not just drawing a sketch and sending it to China to produce. Gotta engineer the shoes from the ground to prevent failures/injuries. It would require a lot of resources and with that many signature athletes, there's no way that every one of them would be getting the sales they desire from their contracts with Nike.

That said, Li-Ning clearly has an edge on shoe designers.. not sure how they haven't been poached yet by the big dawgs. UA could really use them because Curry's line is going straight to the gutter... maybe adidas too

Back
Top Bottom