Nike KD 16

Guess we need to be aware that there are lots of fake KD 16s already floating around. That snapshot came from this video that mentions it's a UApair /rep.

Screenshot provided in case video is taken down or uploader removes the disclaimer.

Screen Shot 2023-07-14 at 10.30.46 AM.png

That sux

So just some first thoughts from a non-hooper:

- NYvsNY CW looks great in person

- really like the materials (mesh, synthetic nubuck) and the craftsmanship on my pair was good

- The cushioning setup is pretty unremarkable (air strobel in rear doesn't feel mushy, but the zoom bag up front isn't very noticeable...cushlon is the saving grace)

- stability seems to be there, with a solid base and secure fit

- I personally have an average/slightly narrow foot, but I think these may be much more wide-foot friendly (at least at the midfoot...toe box see below)

As for the overall fit...they're more on the side of 1:1 snug. I'm a TTS 14, which is what I got, and I didn't love the fit in the toe box. They taper down (in height) and inwards, so my big toe felt quite enclosed. Of course--this could likely be remedied with a little break-in time. Also, at the moment I do need to trim my toenails...so that would probably help as well. The length is there, but the taper kind of removes the wiggle room I prefer. I'll probably try a 15 in the future but I'm already pretty certain it would ruin the fit of the rest of the sneaker.

I've personally found the KDs to be one of the most consistent lines from Nike, and this feels like a natural progression with enough changes to truly feel like a new shoe. The cushion doesn't have the snappy "wow" factor that was felt in the past 3-4 models. I'm not sure if this was a cost-cutting measure to keep KDs at that $150-160 price point, or just an attempt at something different for an aging KD.

So just some first thoughts from a non-hooper:

- NYvsNY CW looks great in person

- really like the materials (mesh, synthetic nubuck) and the craftsmanship on my pair was good

- The cushioning setup is pretty unremarkable (air strobel in rear doesn't feel mushy, but the zoom bag up front isn't very noticeable...cushlon is the saving grace)

- stability seems to be there, with a solid base and secure fit

- I personally have an average/slightly narrow foot, but I think these may be much more wide-foot friendly (at least at the midfoot...toe box see below)

As for the overall fit...they're more on the side of 1:1 snug. I'm a TTS 14, which is what I got, and I didn't love the fit in the toe box. They taper down (in height) and inwards, so my big toe felt quite enclosed. Of course--this could likely be remedied with a little break-in time. Also, at the moment I do need to trim my toenails...so that would probably help as well. The length is there, but the taper kind of removes the wiggle room I prefer. I'll probably try a 15 in the future but I'm already pretty certain it would ruin the fit of the rest of the sneaker.

I've personally found the KDs to be one of the most consistent lines from Nike, and this feels like a natural progression with enough changes to truly feel like a new shoe. The cushion doesn't have the snappy "wow" factor that was felt in the past 3-4 models. I'm not sure if this was a cost-cutting measure to keep KDs at that $150-160 price point, or just an attempt at something different for an aging KD.

Were there supposed to be pictures? Either way, this all sounds good. On paper, it does seem like a downgrade, but I oddly have enough trust in the process for the KD line because of that consistency you mentioned. I also feel like it could be something different for KD who is aging.

As much as I love Zoom Air in the Jordan 13s and the Pegasus 39s when I had those and the Vomero 5s, I've been really enjoying the Air sensation from just trying on the newer Air Max models (Pulse, 270s, TWs) and the Air Huaraches although I have no clue what type of foam they use. Those Huaraches are really something else. That just makes me have faith that Air from the midfoot to the heel is not a bad idea at all. Also can't go wrong with the good ol' Cushlon. Saved my feet in running shoes back in the day; definitely a must for a lot of other Nike shoes nowadays.

I really wonder if there was inspiration from the type of cushioning set-up in the Penny 2s with the Zoom in the forefoot and Air in the heel. I know it's Air Max in the heels for the Penny 2s, but the idea is pretty much the same.

Initial try on was a dream. Cushion felt great. Fit nd lockdown was great. Traction seems good but doesn’t have a loud squeak (yet). Gonna play in em tomorrow to see for sure.
DF19CEB0-A55E-4903-9EBA-FE9004169F34.jpeg

Looks great here! Can't wait to get mine.

For anyone who’s received their pair of 16’s and who has a pair of 15’s (and doesn’t mind lol), can you compare the width of the forefoot base between the two models? I’m hoping the 16’s forefoot base is a bit wider.

JS”

For anyone who’s received their pair of 16’s and who has a pair of 15’s (and doesn’t mind lol), can you compare the width of the forefoot base between the two models? I’m hoping the 16’s forefoot base is a bit wider.

JS”

Also my biggest concern on the comparison too would be the heal slippage, on the KD 15 it was bad for me, so I'm hoping the 16's don't have that issue. My KD16's are suppose to arrive tomorrow but unfortunately I won't be here to test them out, bc I leave for vacation for about 2 weeks lol. Wish I was able to get them today bc I would have brought them w/ me. But now I've gotta wait til I get back..

JS”

Measuring on the outsole at the widest part of the forefoot, the 15 is 4 3/4 inches. The 16 was 5 inches. (This is on a US men's size 14)

Also my biggest concern on the comparison too would be the heal slippage, on the KD 15 it was bad for me, so I'm hoping the 16's don't have that issue. My KD16's are suppose to arrive tomorrow but unfortunately I won't be here to test them out, bc I leave for vacation for about 2 weeks lol. Wish I was able to get them today bc I would have brought them w/ me. But now I've gotta wait til I get back..

I don't think you'll have that issue. The 15 had a "U" shaped heel that was pretty stiff and lacked padding. The 16 has a "V" shaped heel with more padding.

Measuring on the outsole at the widest part of the forefoot, the 15 is 4 3/4 inches. The 16 was 5 inches. (This is on a US men's size 14)

I don't think you'll have that issue. The 15 had a "U" shaped heel that was pretty stiff and lacked padding. The 16 has a "V" shaped heel with more padding.

Thanks!! Much appreciated!!

JS”

Was the 15s the same width as the 14s? I still have my 14s and they fit perfectly, if the 16s are a bit wider that would be wild and a pleasant surprise.

Just hooped in them nd these are everything you think they are. No complaints. Good dancing shoes with a smooth ride cushion. Traction started to squeak after my 6th game. Still gonna keep yall updated.
do these have good court feel?

not sure if this was posted already, if so, my bad. nightwing corrected himself
1689689409851.png

1689689451584.png
what do you mean corrected himself? from what he said in the video?

and it's much better to have images imbedded in the thread instead of IG linked. Much easier to find via thread gallery

Back
Top Bottom