Votes: 1 10.0%
  • .5 Size Down

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • 1 Size Up

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • 1 Size Down

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Not a scientist in the slightest...but my impression (other than it just feels good) was that the fibers provided the tensile strength to give you the responsive feel, while the air acts as the cushioning pad around them, acting in tandem.

Haha any images of me stacking plates and plates on the squat bar during my work outs are pretty far from the truth. I'm 6'3" 210. Had a plate and a 25 on both sides. I like the KDs for gym shoes. Got a pair to work out in. And a pair for the court. But I'm not sweating it. You all knew Nike customer service would do me right. So back to Nike they go.
Will I stop lifting in KDs for fear of more popping?? Na...

Forget the shoes, when you squat you want efficient power transfer through your feet and into the floor and then back through the floor into your feet. You're putting energy into the Zoom bag that should be helping you get that weight up. Next time you squat, bring some heavily cushioned kicks and try one set barefoot and one set in the shoes.

Lifting barefoot is just as dumb as lifting in KDs. Squat in flat shoes that don't compress (chucks, vans, Metcons) or heeled shoes (Romaleos). Squatting barefoot is an absolutely terrible idea.

Your body is not designed to support squatting hundreds of pounds without any support. Lifting shoes in particular provide stability, improve ankle mobility, and grip the floor extremely well. I personally cannot squat bellow parallel without lifting shoes due to multiple ankle surgeries.

Your body is not designed to support squatting hundreds of pounds without any support. Lifting shoes in particular provide stability, improve ankle mobility, and grip the floor extremely well. I personally cannot squat bellow parallel without lifting shoes due to multiple ankle surgeries.

Lifting barefoot actually improves stability because your toes can articulate more/grip the floor to keep you balanced. It also increases mobility as you need to flex your ankle more to keep you stable.

Think about it this way; I'm pretty sure squatting with weights was around before squatting shoes.

Lifting barefoot actually improves stability because your toes can articulate more/grip the floor to keep you balanced. It also increases mobility as you need to flex your ankle more to keep you stable.

Think about it this way; I'm pretty sure squatting with weights was around before squatting shoes.

No it doesn't. Feel free to PM me if you want to discuss, but I believe you will see the vast majority of powerlifters squatting in Chucks or more likely lifting shoes.

Back to the KDs - played in them yesterday. Really a great shoe. I didn't think a full length zoom bag shoe would ever have such impressive mobility. I'll have to try it out more, but this could be my favorite shoe since the BB.

No it doesn't. Feel free to PM me if you want to discuss, but I believe you will see the vast majority of powerlifters squatting in Chucks or more likely lifting shoes.

Back to the KDs - played in them yesterday. Really a great shoe. I didn't think a full length zoom bag shoe would ever have such impressive mobility. I'll have to try it out more, but this could be my favorite shoe since the BB.

https://www.t-nation.com/training/go-barefoot-to-get-stronger

View media item 2330602

Need some more time to judge this shoe but so far I have no complaints while wearing them. After games though I'm getting some callous activity. I might double sock

I got two pairs of kd 9s, Can't believe cats in here are using them for squats. They have the squishiest zoom ever

I see lots of people squatting in air-based shoes or shoes meant for running or other sports.  It boggles my mind, but most people that I see doing that aren't going heavy - like a quarter or plate on each side at the most.

People say they don't care too much or they aren't that serious about it.  I get it, but at the same time, they sign up for a gym membership, go to the gym regularly, and load up weight to do a certain number of reps and sets.  If I went through all that trouble, I'd want to at least do the movement as effectively as possible and that includes wearing functional shoes (or in the case of deadlifting, no shoes).

I see lots of people squatting in air-based shoes or shoes meant for running or other sports.  It boggles my mind, but most people that I see doing that aren't going heavy - like a quarter or plate on each side at the most.

People say they don't care too much or they aren't that serious about it.  I get it, but at the same time, they sign up for a gym membership, go to the gym regularly, and load up weight to do a certain number of reps and sets.  If I went through all that trouble, I'd want to at least do the movement as effectively as possible and that includes wearing functional shoes (or in the case of deadlifting, no shoes).
Just because people aren't going heavy doesn't mean they're 'doing it wrong.'  Some may be learning, or rehabing i.e. a slow-heavy programme for a tendinopathy.

Some maybe in-season and aiming for a 10-15RM to maintain strength without exhaustion.

In all other cases I agree that you need to go heavy to grow the muscle as much as possible.

Whether you go heavy or light. Or rehab. You still need to do the lift properly with proper equipment to avoid injuries.

Exactly.  I'm not sure what he thinks I meant, but I wasn't talking about right vs. wrong or building muscle.

The people I've seen squat while wearing runners or bball shoes typically don't load a lot of weight.  Their form may be perfect or terrible, but it's just the correlation I've noticed.  And the people I've seen going super heavy typically wear lifting shoes or something similar.

My thinking is if I am going to squat, even if the weight is light, I'm going to try and help myself as much as possible.

Sorry to detract from typical KD9 discussion.

Played in my BOP this weekend. Tweaked my ankle a bit in warm-ups which made me a bit nervous to continue on in them.

Stayed in em and they felt awesome. Comfort was great. Traction was legit. Happy with em. Wouldn't mind another pair on the low.

Back
Top Bottom