Nike Performance Running Master Thread

Oh, very much in! 3rd marathon coming up in Berlin September-time!

Epic Reacts - go half a size up? (currently 9.5)

I actually went half a size down, but my feet are really weird (narrow ankles and toes, but wide mid-foot). I'd stay true to size, unless you find Flyknit constrictive.

I'd say TTS on the Epic Reacts.

I wear 9.5 in almost all my Nike running shoes and went with a 9.5 in the Epic Reacts.

Thanks guys! Also, for UK residents, Zoom Elite 9's are going for under 60 at the official Nike store. Seriously tempted to add a pair to the rotation!

Great thread....question...I saw someone mentioned Pegasus 34's on the first page...what's everyone's experience with them? I generally use Lunarepics lows and highs for training runs....Zoom Flys for training/speed runs and 4% for long runs or race day....grabbed a super discounted pair today at my local outlet and thinking of taking them for spin during one of my runs this week....

Great thread....question...I saw someone mentioned Pegasus 34's on the first page...what's everyone's experience with them? I generally use Lunarepics lows and highs for training runs....Zoom Flys for training/speed runs and 4% for long runs or race day....grabbed a super discounted pair today at my local outlet and thinking of taking them for spin during one of my runs this week....

Sounds like you prefer softer (or just expensive) soles. The Pegasus 34 is not that. It's more firm than even the 33 and is built to be relatively light, while having high responsiveness. If I were to put them in your schedule, I'd wear them during a speed session. This is of course without knowing your distance, age/health factors, ability level, etc.

Sounds like you prefer softer (or just expensive) soles. The Pegasus 34 is not that. It's more firm than even the 33 and is built to be relatively light, while having high responsiveness. If I were to put them in your schedule, I'd wear them during a speed session. This is of course without knowing your distance, age/health factors, ability level, etc.
Thanks for the response and yes you were dead on...did a recovery run this morning of 8 miles...time is generally mid 9's for comfortable recovery..first few miles it actually felt like I had cleats on...lol...towards the end shoe kinda loosen up and they felt better but there is only so many days in a week...I like the shoe but not enough to take something else out of the rotation...I like softer soles and the response I get...firm and solid is cool but not for me...returned them back to the outlet today...

The Zoom Odyssey were my favorite! I just retired a pair, but I'm hoping that the Odyssey React is a suitable replacement.

I'm on my 5th pair of Odysseys between the 1 and 2. IMO, Nike's best stability shoe in a long time. If you want another pair, they can still be found pretty easily marked way down. I'm really hoping the Odyssey react offers the same level of stability but I have my doubts based on the pics seen so far.

Thanks for the response and yes you were dead on...did a recovery run this morning of 8 miles...time is generally mid 9's for comfortable recovery..first few miles it actually felt like I had cleats on...lol...towards the end shoe kinda loosen up and they felt better but there is only so many days in a week...I like the shoe but not enough to take something else out of the rotation...I like softer soles and the response I get...firm and solid is cool but not for me...returned them back to the outlet today...

You might like the new Epic React. It's between responsive and soft.

Great thread!! Has anyone run in the reacts that has flat feet and if so, did you run with an orthotic? I usually run in zoom flys with no orthotic but think I may need to use them for the react due to the softness of the shoe.

You might like the new Epic React. It's between responsive and soft.
Yea, Im waiting for those to be dirt cheap then Ill jump in the water and try them out....

Nike continues to make great product, but because of size and scale, its very difficult to maintain a high price point....They seem to have figured out something with the 4% which are almost impossible to score on discount...but its like shooting yourself in the foot...if you limit it, no one will hear about how awesome they are.....If you mass produce, they are only destined for one place...the Outlets.... I grabbed a pair for super cheap cause a sample ended up in my outlet and I was all over it....

Im figuring React should hit the sales racks by early to mid summer....then Im all in.

For now Ill continue to beat the hell outta my Lunarepics and ZoomFlys...

Yea, Im waiting for those to be dirt cheap then Ill jump in the water and try them out....

Nike continues to make great product, but because of size and scale, its very difficult to maintain a high price point....They seem to have figured out something with the 4% which are almost impossible to score on discount...but its like shooting yourself in the foot...if you limit it, no one will hear about how awesome they are.....If you mass produce, they are only destined for one place...the Outlets.... I grabbed a pair for super cheap cause a sample ended up in my outlet and I was all over it....

Im figuring React should hit the sales racks by early to mid summer....then Im all in.
For now Ill continue to beat the hell outta my Lunarepics and ZoomFlys...

I was told new zoom fly will have carbon fiber plate and react soles at an increased price point. I would speculate between $180-220. Sounded intriguing.

I was told new zoom fly will have carbon fiber plate and react soles at an increased price point. I would speculate between $180-220. Sounded intriguing.

Any idea of timing on the new ZF? I think they initially released in early June last year. I wonder if we would get the new version at a similar time this year.

Any idea of timing on the new ZF? I think they initially released in early June last year. I wonder if we would get the new version at a similar time this year.

I asked but they would not say. Indicated Pegasus Turbo in late spring/early summer. They did say more VF 4% were in the pipeline, but do not know when they will arrive or the colorways. They were going to continue with the drops and when they hit, they hit. No rhyme or reason to it.

What are your running workouts like? I'm just starting to take running a little more seriously now. Any advice for a rookie? I'm logging about 10-15 miles per week, and trying to transition from a heel strike to a forefoot strike. Best I can do is land on my midfoot thus far.

Also, is it bad to swap between running shoes? I picked up some Zoom Flys a month ago, but sort of miss my old lunarglide 3s.

Nike racing shoes tend to get a new version ever two years and launch at near the same time, so I would say they would be aiming for April/May/June 2019

I recall reading from either the React or Vapor thread that the update to the Zoom Fly will be utilizing React Foam + CF plate. :nerd:

Anyhow...

I just ordered these from NDC...
Tenacity 88
Jordan Tenacity 88 - True Blue.png

According to FNL, the regular version (with the same sole) features:

https://www.finishline.com/store/rw...ity-running-shoes/prod2770927?responsive=true
  • Cushlon foam midsole for lightweight, plush cushioning
  • Zoom Air forefoot and heel units provide next-level responsiveness
    Flightspeed technology (Flight Plate over the Zoom Air unit) in the forefoot disburses your force for an explosive step
  • Rubber outsole provides multisurface traction
Essentially, a Vomero lol :nthat:

trying to transition from a heel strike to a forefoot strike. Best I can do is land on my midfoot thus far.

This is for the most part irrelevant. You'll get people who make a huge fuss about heel vs. forefoot, but it's really about the individual (and lemme tell you something: the Olympians aren't forefoot striking*). Midfoot striking is totally fine and so is heel. Just go with what feels best and doesn't injure you. Don't force anything. Forefoot distance running is in fact less energy efficient.

If you liked the LunarGlide 3, check out the LG 8 or 9. Or the Zoom Span.

*Except sprinters, but even that is sort of complicated

What are your running workouts like? I'm just starting to take running a little more seriously now. Any advice for a rookie? I'm logging about 10-15 miles per week, and trying to transition from a heel strike to a forefoot strike. Best I can do is land on my midfoot thus far.

Also, is it bad to swap between running shoes? I picked up some Zoom Flys a month ago, but sort of miss my old lunarglide 3s.
nightrunner nightrunner is 100% right...go with works for you and doesn't lead to injury...I would say in the beginning getting comfortable going longer distances are key...then work on your times...but (to me anyway) don't focus on time in the beginning...just enjoy being out there and work on your breathing...again if I could give a piece of advice...breathing is key...when you learn to control that everything else will fall in place...

After that...work on your hydrating and fueling and you are on your way...

But above and beyond anything else just relax and enjoy it out there...just you and the road...

Also when you do get going and are comfortable start incorporating speed runs...for me they change everything...cause then I know what I was capable of....

First, definitely not a bad idea to swap between running shoes. If anything, it's a good thing to rotate running shoes 'cause sometimes, the shoes can take that bit of pounding from the mileage and having your feet away from it for 24 hrs or so gives it that chance to "revive" itself to as close as its newest state as possible. It's definitely a matter of preference for sure though.

The first thing to focus on for running, like ayipapi ayipapi mentioned, is the breathing technique. When you start off in the very beginning with running, the thing you don't wanna do (I made this mistake myself) is focus on time, and how well you can go per mile. You ease in by jogging/running at a VERY comfortable pace, and then when you need to really catch your breath, slow down and walk it off until you're ready to roll again. Continue that pattern for 1.5 - 2 miles, which is a very solid amount of distance for running. As your body start to adjust, you'll start shortening your walk breaks and elongating your running times. As that goes on, add a little more distance 'til you get comfortable doing 3 miles. Throughout that entire process, you'll learn to control your breathing and you can actually pick up a breathing pattern. I've learned to pick up 2-in/1-out (breathe in every 2 steps, breathe out every 1 step after, and repeat), and then when I started running in the Vaporfly, it became 2-in/2-out.

Also check out some searches about form. You don't exactly have to focus on how you land although the Zoom Fly might make you adjust without realizing it, but take a look about the posture when running. Slight lean forward with your chest forward can help relieve a bit of the impact from the top down.

Hope that helps!

Whats up bros. I recently picked up the Nike Zoom Fly and damn those are great for long runs. The full carbon fiber plate and the zoom gives it a nice bounce. Highly recommended.

Whats up bros. I recently picked up the Nike Zoom Fly and damn those are great for long runs. The full carbon fiber plate and the zoom gives it a nice bounce. Highly recommended.

If you like those, try the vapor fly 4%. Such a unique feel and ride. :pimp:

Has anyone tried the LunarTempo? 6pm has them for $50 and I could use a new shoe in rotation. I want to get the Pegasus 35 and Odyssey React, but everything I have right now is on its way out (or already shot). I seem to remember the Tempo being a bit firmer, but I only tried it on once.

Has anyone tried the LunarTempo? 6pm has them for $50 and I could use a new shoe in rotation. I want to get the Pegasus 35 and Odyssey React, but everything I have right now is on its way out (or already shot). I seem to remember the Tempo being a bit firmer, but I only tried it on once.

They’re a decent shoe. I wore the first version in the Boston Marathon a few years back and they were good. They were somewhat responsive while also being soft and super flexible.

I’m thinking about another shoe to rotate in with a pair of the Zoom Fly and Epic React. I’m tempered to pick up the Vapor Street to see how they would work as a running shoe.

Back
Top Bottom