Nike says high hype is killing the culture / Sneaker culture is “gentrified”

:emoji_thinking::emoji_thinking: Tweed cant crease.

I hate to say it but I know how to take decent pics when I want.

The shoes were well worn is all I can say
20210929_215458.jpg

20210929_215443.jpg

i thought it was dumb when they started releasing pre-yellowed, fake dirty/worn shoes but they’re gonna release a pre-crumbled shoe. A FAKE BROKEN SHOE!

and people will pay stupid resell prices to own one 🤡

9EAE5F29-6F1B-4F48-A1A4-9F68F5FF2738.jpeg

I’ve been noticing a few pages in instagram starting to hype the 2s ever since these were announced. :smh:

I’ve been noticing a few pages in instagram starting to hype the 2s ever since these were announced. :smh:
Them ****s is terrible.

The whole aged shoe thing ain't for me unless you did it yourself with actual wear.

I'm not paying top dollar for some **** that it looks like Nike employees have been wearing around the block for the last decade. Idc how cool it is.

Hype is wild man.

My big bro been wearing these dunks for 15 years and they are beat. He had me sell em last week to help fund a housing project we are working on.

Screenshot_20211012-062433_eBay.jpg

With that said now is definitely the time. If y'all want **** like this that bad y'all can have it.
Dude I sold my jpack dunks for 3-400 each and bought them for 80-90 bucks. These idiot kids man :lol: sold my jordan collection back in peak 2011-2012 times when they were going for 3-400 each as well. Resale goes up and down but when the time is right you unload it all

Trying to buy popular shoes at retail has become too tedious and basically impossible. People are fed up. We’ve caught so many L’s we don’t even enter draws anymore.

Tedious yeah cause you have to enter draws, raffles etc if you want something but it isnt actually “hard” to do. It doesnt take much time to actually do but its hard to win with how many entries there are.

Up production to satisfy more people but that really doesnt work, they can say they up production and kicks will sell out at the same rate they are now.

I dont see how this is a gentrification problem Nike is talking about? How is this gentrification. Its a supply and demand problem and with social media being a thing people see what other people are wearing and want it also. Adds to the demand.

I dont see a real fix to the supply vs demand problem, which it really what it is. Its just how things are nowadays. If you miss a drop then on to the next. Theres only a few kicks that come out nowadays that are REALLY must haves for me, and if I dont hit I dont get too mad, I just go resale. It is what it is.

I'm not sure if shoe production is like my industry. I work in the electric mobility space, and when we sell out, I always get told by customers and/or retailers, "just make more bikes". Easier said than done. To make a bike, it takes parts. Parts come from a number of different suppliers, stock is scares for suppliers, especially in an industry were pretty much brands share or use similar parts. Some parts on back order for 9 months, some brands outbid others for parts. It's a tough game. Customers and retailers don't see that, or understand. I wonder if it's the same for Nike.
Manufacturing is the same everywhere.

The quantity of items produced is not entirely dependent on how large the market is. The raw materials/parts needed to make something are a bigger factor in what gets produced than the number of customers. Add to that the current supply line issues, and there's not gonna be a jump in production anytime soon.

Them ****s is terrible.

The whole aged shoe thing ain't for me unless you did it yourself with actual wear.

I'm not paying top dollar for some **** that it looks like Nike employees have been wearing around the block for the last decade. Idc how cool it is.

That trend is so weird man. People buy new kicks and send them in to these people to “age” them. Maybe I’m in the minority or just out the loop, but that’s strange to me. Cats walking around with yellowed soles on a shoe that was released 2 months ago. :stoneface:

And I can’t figure out the allure of a shoe that presents to have already began to crumble for the life of me. People who find that **** fly must have never really had a pair of their favorite kicks crumble in front of their eyes. :smh:

Last edited:
That trend is so weird man. People buy new kicks and send them in to these people to “age” them for you. Maybe I’m in the minority or just out the loop, but that’s strange to me. Cats walking around with yellowed soles on a shoe that was release 2 months ago. :stoneface:

And I can’t figure out the allure of a shoe that presents to have already began to crumble for the life of me. People who find that **** fly must have never really had a pair of their favorite kicks crumble in front of their eyes. :smh:
So kids can look like they BEEN on the shoe game. So they can look like us.

Tedious yeah cause you have to enter draws, raffles etc if you want something but it isnt actually “hard” to do. It doesnt take much time to actually do but its hard to win with how many entries there are.

Up production to satisfy more people but that really doesnt work, they can say they up production and kicks will sell out at the same rate they are now.

I dont see how this is a gentrification problem Nike is talking about? How is this gentrification. Its a supply and demand problem and with social media being a thing people see what other people are wearing and want it also. Adds to the demand.

I dont see a real fix to the supply vs demand problem, which it really what it is. Its just how things are nowadays. If you miss a drop then on to the next. Theres only a few kicks that come out nowadays that are REALLY must haves for me, and if I dont hit I dont get too mad, I just go resale. It is what it is.

Gentrification- the process whereby the character of a poor urban area is changed by wealthier people moving in, improving housing, and attracting new businesses, typically displacing current inhabitants in the process.

https://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2012/08/the-racial-divide-on-sneakers/261256/

The adoption of Jordan's, dunks and sneakers as a whole into suburban America's closet is hard to describe as anything but gentrification. Honestly it is bigger than sneakers and this is just a trickle down effect of the popularization of hip hop. Same shoes we were called ghetto, dope dealers, and financially illiterate for spending our money on. But go on Youtube now and see how many videos are from individuals under the age of 20 are calling sneakers an "investment".

I used to not understand gatekeepers and why they acted the way they did. But honestly now I get it.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if shoe production is like my industry. I work in the electric mobility space, and when we sell out, I always get told by customers and/or retailers, "just make more bikes". Easier said than done. To make a bike, it takes parts. Parts come from a number of different suppliers, stock is scares for suppliers, especially in an industry were pretty much brands share or use similar parts. Some parts on back order for 9 months, some brands outbid others for parts. It's a tough game. Customers and retailers don't see that, or understand. I wonder if it's the same for Nike.
Most of Nikes materials are synthetic materials that are not hard to make...

I remember walking in and asking for my size in Bred 1s and Black Toe 1s in 2016 and getting them no problem. I've had people ask me how much I paid for them. Uh....$160 plus tax. I remember Storm Blues and any Metallic 1s going on deep discount. Paid $90 for Metallic Navys. Those were the days. Used to buy stuff all the time.

Nowadays I buy maybe 2 or 3 Jordans a year. I've just accepted the fact it'll be Stock X or GOAT when I do. It's resale, but I'm actually spending less money than in years past since I'm hardly buying anything.

Only issue with preorders is I've heard these shoes are planned several months to nearly a year in advance. I'm sure a multi billion dollar company like Nike could figure something out if they really wanted to, but does anybody think they really want to?

I remember walking in and asking for my size in Bred 1s and Black Toe 1s in 2016 and getting them no problem. I've had people ask me how much I paid for them. Uh....$160 plus tax. I remember Storm Blues and any Metallic 1s going on deep discount. Paid $90 for Metallic Navys. Those were the days. Used to buy stuff all the time.

Nowadays I buy maybe 2 or 3 Jordans a year. I've just accepted the fact it'll be Stock X or GOAT when I do. It's resale, but I'm actually spending less money than in years past since I'm hardly buying anything.

Only issue with preorders is I've heard these shoes are planned several months to nearly a year in advance. I'm sure a multi billion dollar company like Nike could figure something out if they really wanted to, but does anybody think they really want to?
Yup. Storm blues, metallic reds, metallic blues, all were looked at like they were trash. Now they’re “heat”. I was in Vegas when the metallic reds were sitting on racks for 99. Won a hand in blackjack and grabbed a pair lol. Sold those for about 300 last year and they were pretty worn. Crazy

FCFS

or switch the name up on colorways like fire red 3’s on the day of drop the app will call it hot alarm, so the bots won’t be able to search and find product. Or it will buy the wrong product.

or just make it so when things drop online a delay & switch up the item codes. Bots won’tbe able to secure shoes without certain details.

just my 2cents

This + mandatory captchas before you can place the order :lol: they do it everywhere else but sneaker drops

I understand but I don’t think it applies to Nike. Replica factories can pump out new TS 1’severy week and still find a way to make money but you’re telling me Nike can’t up supply due to lack of materials?

Im not rolling with it.

Look at what ALD and NB did with their 550 collab. Before the re-release the original colorways were north of 400-500 depending on size and which colorway you were looking at. Now all can be had for just over 200 except the red which wasn’t included.

The shoes still sold out, yes they still have resell value but by upping the supply the aftermarket prices came down.

Same thing with how every many times Kanye and Adidas wants to put out the Zebras and Wave Runners.

Got me excited for nothing :lol: :smh:

980C41B9-5303-471B-A53E-1B1E337B59DA.png

The Gundam × Nike sb pre-orders were a joke. Whole site crashed, despite that I managed to get 1 model. Even these Nike by you (Nike id) joints are tough to get when they weren't.

Nike doesn't have a buyer issue, they have a supply issue, which they themselves control. They want to talk about not fulfilling demand and having those number drop compared to last year, but they don't want to do anything about preventing bots from eating up supply.

This is bogus on all levels IMO.

Back
Top Bottom