Nike x OFF-WHITE Collection Thread - Rest In Peace Virgil Abloh

I get how that sounds. It's easy to say what you WOULD do but when you're literally lighting $1k on fire and putting it on a friend's feet, it becomes very very very hard to do. Maybe you're the one in a million, but odds are you aren't. Odds are you'd sell them and keep your $1k.

It's situational. If I was in a seriously financial bind then yeah, I'm not naive. But it will always be more than just money to me. I try to be about paying it forward as much as I can.

The shoes you mentioned weren't going for 2k when they dropped initially, so if you had ooped them it wouldn't have been giving up 2k, much closer to 1k or so. But that's beside the point, yes I've seen people oop shoes of that "calibre". Only in a much tighter knit "sneaker group" though, where favors are passed around.
I traded the ow Chicago for am1 Patta Purple, which go for about $1750, and I sold the EU release for $1700. So no they weren't close to $1k.

I can see it in a group like that where you feel like the person will "pay you back" later. A friend that has no shot of ever giving you a similar valued shoe? Na.

And maybe I'm just jaded. I had 4 pairs of sw am 1/97. Kept two and ooped 2. Had a sneaker" buddy" get really pissy that I didn't oop him a pair, even though I didn't have his size. Another buddy did oop him a pair though. Fast forward 3 months to the restock and he hit 3 pairs. The buddy that ooped him a pair asked him to oop another buddy a pair. Did he? Nope, he sold every pair. Everyone wants a handout but it's a different story when the money is in their hand.

It's situational. If I was in a seriously financial bind then yeah, I'm not naive. But it will always be more than just money to me. I try to be about paying it forward as much as I can.
I feel you. I'm the same way. There's a line where paying it forward becomes just giving away money though. Not sure what that line is exactly, and the line does move depending on who it is.

one time i ooped a friend and he turned around and sold it for profit down the line....wasnt even mad. we laughed about it.

Everyone says this, and it's easy to do on a shoe with $100 profit in resell, but when you're talking shoes that have $1k and more resell value, let's be honest, basically nobody is throwing oops. I oop a lot, but nobody is getting an ow oop. I wouldn't give them $1k cash so why would I give them a shoe that I could sell for $1k profit? It sounds cool to say on a message board but the odds you'd oop an ow pair to anyone but maybe your brother is about 0%.

ive ooped many pairs of shoes that sell for 2-3x more than its retail value to close homies (even some that i only got 1 pair of, simply because i didn't like them and i was doing them a favor), as long as i see them online trying to cop on RD and putting in work. They'd also return the favor if I ask.

speak for yourself and your circle. not everyone is money hungry. some people actually still value friends/family.

I get how that sounds. It's easy to say what you WOULD do but when you're literally lighting $1k on fire and putting it on a friend's feet, it becomes very very very hard to do. Maybe you're the one in a million, but odds are you aren't. Odds are you'd sell them and keep your $1k.

Homie just hit Undefeated & is gonna oop me

I traded the ow Chicago for am1 Patta Purple, which go for about $1750, and I sold the EU release for $1700. So no they weren't close to $1k.

I can see it in a group like that where you feel like the person will "pay you back" later. A friend that has no shot of ever giving you a similar valued shoe? Na.

And maybe I'm just jaded. I had 4 pairs of sw am 1/97. Kept two and ooped 2. Had a sneaker" buddy" get really pissy that I didn't oop him a pair, even though I didn't have his size. Another buddy did oop him a pair though. Fast forward 3 months to the restock and he hit 3 pairs. The buddy that ooped him a pair asked him to oop another buddy a pair. Did he? Nope, he sold every pair. Everyone wants a handout but it's a different story when the money is in their hand.

When they first dropped the OW Chi 1s were selling for around 1k. Trade is another story. I missed you mentioning the EU pair, yeah those were going for a lot more.

My away jersey came in, but it sorta fits too large around the stomach. Anybody else have that problem? I'd like to trade my XL for an L if anybody is willing.

I've never copped a $1k shoe, but I've certainly "oop'd" $500-$600 sneakers to friends. And I've gifted other things of value to friends--e.g. nice dinners, courtside tickets for the NBA Finals--as I would imagine most people here have done. So, why would sneakers be any different? I would not be comfortable using my hobby to profit from my friends. The satisfaction I derive from helping someone I like and care about get something they want outweighs cash in most cases. Random folks on NT would be another story, though. ;-)

ive ooped many pairs of shoes that sell for 2-3x more than its retail value to close homies (even some that i only got 1 pair of, simply because i didn't like them and i was doing them a favor), as long as i see them online trying to cop on RD and putting in work. They'd also return the favor if I ask.

speak for yourself and your circle. not everyone is money hungry. some people actually still value friends/family.
2-3 times retail is not $2k. When you oop ow Chicagos, let me know.

When they first dropped the OW Chi 1s were selling for around 1k. Trade is another story. I missed you mentioning the EU pair, yeah those were going for a lot more.
I had the early access. I had the choice to sell them for $1500 or trade them for the Pattas. They were really cool in hand and I appreciate them but no regrets on the trade.

Back
Top Bottom