Nike Zoom Kobe V PROTRO - Dec 2019

At this point I’d take the shoes without the logo like they did with the Deion sanders If a deal can’t be made.

The issue is that Kobe's contract with Nike was voided after his passing. Until Vanessa signs a new deal, Nike can't release any more shoes or new merchandise. I hope it will be worked out with Vanessa, but there was a bit of a rift growing between Nike and Kobe with his deal being up next year. There were some things Kobe felt he was slighted on by Nike and he wasn't negotiating a re up on the deal. Hopefully it is settled and Nike finds a way to donate a portion of the sales to his foundation for eternity.

Also, after the tragedy, Avar went back in the lab for a final model in case it's allowed to happen
Wow, I would have never thought that Nike and Kobe would have a rift between one another. I would've assumed Nike would've allowed Kobe to get whatever he wanted.

Shame.

Wow, I would have never thought that Nike and Kobe would have a rift between one another. I would've assumed Nike would've allowed Kobe to get whatever he wanted.

Shame.

They promised him that he would have the first auto lacing basketball shoe (something kobe really wanted because he loved being the most innovative basketball shoe) and nike went ahead and made the adapt BB instead with the tech instead of putting it on a Kobe first.

Yea but since his death all Kobes have been pushed back/pulled indefinitely. I believe Nike and his family are still working out/deciding how to go about future releases. I understand that’s mamba day, but I think it’s out of Nike’s control until they make a decision.

The issue is that Kobe's contract with Nike was voided after his passing. Until Vanessa signs a new deal, Nike can't release any more shoes or new merchandise. I hope it will be worked out with Vanessa, but there was a bit of a rift growing between Nike and Kobe with his deal being up next year. There were some things Kobe felt he was slighted on by Nike and he wasn't negotiating a re up on the deal. Hopefully it is settled and Nike finds a way to donate a portion of the sales to his foundation for eternity.

Also, after the tragedy, Avar went back in the lab for a final model in case it's allowed to happen
So no more new Kobe models after Avar does a final pair and just retros after that? I would be very okay with this, Nike was really half assing Kobe’s line after he retired and it was really sad to see (with the exception of the Kobe 360, which they dropped the ball on and released only a few mediocre colorways of).
Also, it just wasn’t the same to have new Kobes release when he wasn’t on the court wearing them and now that he tragically died, having new Kobes release every year won’t feel like Kobes if he’s not there to give his input.

I think a final pair, designed by Eric Avar would be a great way to cap off and honor one of the greatest signature lines and players in Nike history.

The Kobe line from the first pair, all the way to the final pair will more than satisfy basketball players and Kobe fans for years to come.

Am I the only one that wants Nike to just retro Kobes and not protro them? I feel like a lot of the “improvements” made on the protros didn’t make them any better. Many shoes of his line felt great and we loved playing in them the way they were, so unless they want to add full length zoom options, they should just leave it as it is.

Am I the only one that wants Nike to just retro Kobes and not protro them? I feel like a lot of the “improvements” made on the protros didn’t make them any better. Many shoes of his line felt great and we loved playing in them the way they were, so unless they want to add full length zoom options, they should just leave it as it is.

I think they did a great job with the 1, failed on the 4 and did ok with the 5. They could def do better and id rather a Protro if it’s done properly than a regular retro.They would probably charge the same anyway.

They promised him that he would have the first auto lacing basketball shoe (something kobe really wanted because he loved being the most innovative basketball shoe) and nike went ahead and made the adapt BB instead with the tech instead of putting it on a Kobe first.
Where’d you hear all this because this sounds like 🧢.

If I was Nike none of the Sig athletes were getting the tech first. I’d want to put out 1-2 models first to make sure the tech held up, and it was sustainable long term.

i’d imagine Kobe would want the best/top of the line product etc. Being first is cool but Kobe’s have always been light/low to the ground etc etc. kinda like flyknit was on running shoes for years. Yes kobe was the first BB shoe with it but if you remember it was said to be gimmick-y because it was hella laced with fuse (was more fuse than anything) they really ain’t give us true flyknit until the 360.
(Personally the 11 was the best model with it)

The Adapts are cool but after that they really ain’t worth 350+ ( I own the OG 1.0) and they are cool to hoop in for a couple games but sizing was all over the place, they pinched my toes after a while. Sometimes getting them to lace to a proper fit was hard in game. They are on the heavier side.

Let’s not forget they were turning into bricks for some people because the updates didn’t work.

Kobe’s line was already not selling as well because they had like 4 modes dropping at one time. people we’re complaining about price with the higher end models. etc etc.

Where are we getting this info about the rift between kobe and Nike, as well as the contract being void?

Not saying I don't believe it, just haven't seen it any where.

If we get another Protro it would be cool if they let fans vote which line to do next like when they did the Air Max day votes. Then each year would remove the previous year's winner.

And where did that Avar rumor come from? That would be kinda cool to let him design one last Kobe sig as a tribute.

Where’d you hear all this because this sounds like 🧢.

If I was Nike none of the Sig athletes were getting the tech first. I’d want to put out 1-2 models first to make sure the tech held up, and it was sustainable long term.

i’d imagine Kobe would want the best/top of the line product etc. Being first is cool but Kobe’s have always been light/low to the ground etc etc. kinda like flyknit was on running shoes for years. Yes kobe was the first BB shoe with it but if you remember it was said to be gimmick-y because it was hella laced with fuse (was more fuse than anything) they really ain’t give us true flyknit until the 360.
(Personally the 11 was the best model with it)

The Adapts are cool but after that they really ain’t worth 350+ ( I own the OG 1.0) and they are cool to hoop in for a couple games but sizing was all over the place, they pinched my toes after a while. Sometimes getting them to lace to a proper fit was hard in game. They are on the heavier side.

Let’s not forget they were turning into bricks for some people because the updates didn’t work.

Kobe’s line was already not selling as well because they had like 4 modes dropping at one time. people we’re complaining about price with the higher end models. etc etc.

That's fine, you don't have to believe me but just sharing info with everyone from people I spoke with who were working directly on his line and with the man himself the last couple years.

That's fine, you don't have to believe me but just sharing info with everyone from people I spoke with who were working directly on his line and with the man himself the last couple years.

You think it could have been worked out? He was still wearing all his Nike gear pretty heavily, as well as putting all of the Mamba Academy in the shoes and clothes.

Any idea what he would have done if he left Nike?

You think it could have been worked out? He was still wearing all his Nike gear pretty heavily, as well as putting all of the Mamba Academy in the shoes and clothes.

Any idea what he would have done if he left Nike?

My guys said they most likely would have figured it out with him, but he was pretty upset at the time at Nike. The plan was to have 1 final model that was being worked on to release this year, then just protros from here on out if he reupped his contract. I think Vanessa and Nike will figure it out, but I'm sure things are a bit at the backburner with Covid. Most of the people at WHQ are no longer working on campus right now.

Regarding Avar, right after Kobe's death he reached out and said he wanted to have a hand in the final shoe since Kobe is no longer here to have his vision put into the shoe. He felt he was the person who was next best equipped to know what Kobe would've wanted. Kobe was supposed to see the first prototype of the final model a week after his passing and give feedback 😥 I was told Avar came up with a ton of ideas already and hopes things can be resolved and that Nike still wants to move forward with a final model even after his passing.

My guys said they most likely would have figured it out with him, but he was pretty upset at the time at Nike. The plan was to have 1 final model that was being worked on to release this year, then just protros from here on out if he reupped his contract. I think Vanessa and Nike will figure it out, but I'm sure things are a bit at the backburner with Covid. Most of the people at WHQ are no longer working on campus right now.

Regarding Avar, right after Kobe's death he reached out and said he wanted to have a hand in the final shoe since Kobe is no longer here to have his vision put into the shoe. He felt he was the person who was next best equipped to know what Kobe would've wanted. Kobe was supposed to see the first prototype of the final model a week after his passing and give feedback 😥 I was told Avar came up with a ton of ideas already and hopes things can be resolved and that Nike still wants to move forward with a final model even after his passing.

Thanks for the info!

If the contract was voided, why did the 61 pts at MSG T-shirt release last week, along with all the Mamba Academy gear?

I'm not doubting anyone or their sources in here, but the only people who know what's in that contract are legal folks at Nike and the Bryant Estate.

Lots to iron out, big dollars at stake. Will have to wait in see is the only answer imo. Everything else is entirely Hearsay at this point.

If the contract was voided, why did the 61 pts at MSG T-shirt release last week, along with all the Mamba Academy gear?

I believe those MSG shirts originally released before he passed and some sites put them on sale more recently. Mamba academy gear isn't made by Nike. It's blank nike apparel and eastbay has a partnership with the mamba academy to print their logos on them which is why it was always so delayed and shipped in batches. The last time I spoke to my guys about this was a few weeks ago and they said nike was working on finding a solution with Vanessa, so it's very possible that a solution was reached in the last couple weeks.

theres no way we are getting Bruce Lees. Like someone else pointed out, we definitely would've seen leaks from celebrities or sponsored athletes

I believe those MSG shirts originally released before he passed and some sites put them on sale more recently. Mamba academy gear isn't made by Nike. It's blank nike apparel and eastbay has a partnership with the mamba academy to print their logos on them which is why it was always so delayed and shipped in batches. The last time I spoke to my guys about this was a few weeks ago and they said nike was working on finding a solution with Vanessa, so it's very possible that a solution was reached in the last couple weeks.
Did the rift between Nike and Kobe have an impact on why there were so few Kobe 4 protro colorways?

If Nike and Vanessa/Bryant estate do have a fall out, could we possibly see Nike release Kobe’s shoes under a different name like Adidas did with the Crazy 1 and 8?

I’m sure this is unlikely, as I would imagine Vanessa would like to figure out a way for a portion of future sales to go towards the foundation, etc.

If Nike and Vanessa/Bryant estate do have a fall out, could we possibly see Nike release Kobe’s shoes under a different name like Adidas did with the Crazy 1 and 8?
Would like to think everything's gucci just that theres so much going on since December really. Theres a need to iron out the legalities, where proceeds go how distribution will run concept ideas ways to shutdown the current state of reselling etc. Theres alot of legal things to sort out but knowing Kobe he likely had a good sum of this outlined. Just takes things to work through the motions amidst an epidemic thats mowing down thousands of people. His relationship with Nike was above and beyond money so i couldnt see there being any major issue with Lady VB and them.

Back
Top Bottom