Nike Zoom Vaporfly Elite 2017

I think the matching laces look better...

76AD6FC6-449B-4C48-AFF3-00CB5E73F29B.jpeg

I agree those look nice. Where did you pick up those laces? I have that CW but haven’t worn them yet.

I think the matching laces look better...

76AD6FC6-449B-4C48-AFF3-00CB5E73F29B.jpeg
This colour way is just the best. Still no sign of them in Canada, though we do have the sequoia/olive flak ones marked as 'coming soon'. Hoping sizes in the pure platinum/crimson hold out for another month so I can grab them Stateside!

I ran a half marathon this past Sunday and all I can say is that I’m happy I finished. I didn’t PR and was more upset with myself and how I didn’t push through. Beautiful course nonetheless and it really does help when you run with people. Takes your mind off things. Lots of running jokes lol

One thing I like about the NYRR events is that they have pacers throughout the corrals with signs holding up the avg pace/finished time for the event. I ran with the 7:37/1:40 group and was able to maintain a sub 7:30 min/mile up until about mile 8 where a pretty steep hill came up, it was all downhill (figuratively & literally) at that point.

Times have not been getting better since I got my best PR last Nov which was 1:37, since then it’s been 1:41 & 1:43. I think that’s it for me and doing the half’s.

Also, I remember reading someone in here mentioning feeling some soreness in their calf after a run in the VF’s. Out of all the runs i did in these prior to the race, my right calf decided to get real tight around the 9, 9.5 mile point. Had to pull over and do a quick stretch. Never before did I feel it.

One of the volunteers saw me struggling to take a pic so he helped me out lol

Last edited:
Also, I remember reading someone in here mentioning feeling some soreness in their calf after a run in the VF’s. Out of all the runs i did in these prior to the race, my right calf decided to get real tight around the 9, 9.5 mile point. Had to pull over and do a quick stretch. Never before did I feel it.
Thanks for sharing. That was me with the calf soreness running in the VFs.

Awesome time though even if it wasn't a PB!

I ran a half marathon this past Sunday and all I can say is that I’m happy I finished. I didn’t PR and was more upset with myself and how I didn’t push through. Beautiful course nonetheless and it really does help when you run with people. Takes your mind off things. Lots of running jokes lol

One thing I like about the NYRR events is that they have pacers throughout the corrals with signs holding up the avg pace/finished time for the event. I ran with the 7:37/1:40 group and was able to maintain a sub 7:30 min/mile up until about mile 8 where a pretty steep hill came up, it was all downhill (figuratively & literally) at that point.

Times have not been getting better since I got my best PR last Nov which was 1:37, since then it’s been 1:41 & 1:43. I think that’s it for me and doing the half’s.

View attachment 2194749

One of the volunteers saw me struggling to take a pic so he helped me out lol

View attachment 2194750
Dude your running 7:37??? And you are bummed at yourself?????

Just remember this....

There is someone on the couch who cant (wont) walk 100 steps in a day...

Some of us would DIE to get below 8..( :emoji_hand_splayed:)

Amazing accomplishment man....always remember finishing is and will always be the victory...

Hopefully see you in 2 weeks....

Just remember this....

Amazing accomplishment man....always remember finishing is and will always be the victory...

I agree! CONGRATS! You should be proud!! That is a great accomplishment!!

Im a sucker for big swoosh. So, I wish LDN has big swoosh.

Side note, a bit off topic, I read Hoka re-release Clifton 1. Many people are very happy about it. Is it really that good?

its aiite but people fell in love with the super cush midsole

it just wasn't for me but many swear by it

MrKDes MrKDes Regardless what the outcome is, congrats on finishing the race. Respect to you :emoji_bow:

finishing is half the battle, grats

i always say, most won't finish a half or even attempt to run a 5k so anything that is a challenge that people try to tackle is always worth a congratulations

keep at it

Thanks for sharing. That was me with the calf soreness running in the VFs.

Awesome time though even if it wasn't a PB!

Just remember this....

I agree! CONGRATS! You should be proud!! That is a great accomplishment!!

Appreciate the kind words gents. I have a bit of a competitive, push yourself attitude and I am a hard critic on myself. Ever since I got that 1:37, I thought it would've continued to get better.

Not going to stop running or participating in events but I think I need to take a different approach. I have to research through this thread, I remember someone posting about a book that helped them with their training regimen when their times weren't progressing after each event.

Got a 5K in 3 weeks and I'm hoping to beat my time from last year. Keep you guys posted on how it goes.

Appreciate the kind words gents. I have a bit of a competitive, push yourself attitude and I am a hard critic on myself. Ever since I got that 1:37, I thought it would've continued to get better.

Not going to stop running or participating in events but I think I need to take a different approach. I have to research through this thread, I remember someone posting about a book that helped them with their training regimen when their times weren't progressing after each event.

Got a 5K in 3 weeks and I'm hoping to beat my time from last year. Keep you guys posted on how it goes.

I'm sure you've read it, but in case not: Daniels’ Running Formula has been the best thing I've ever read and trained with. (Mind you, it's also the only serious tool I've used in terms of training programs, so my experience isn't huge.)

63C93159-90C1-477D-9244-2EE8B44D0D09.jpeg

I order a 12.5 from NDC and a 13 from DSG. NDC pair came last week and DSG pair came in yesterday. Never treated myself to an elite runner before so I was excited to hit the pavement.

Decided to take the 12.5 from for a spin this morning. First thing I noticed was I sounded like Hulk chasing Thanos! Oddly enough even though I could hear my steps, the ride was smooth. The noticeable glitch for me I experienced was on my right foot; it came unlaced twice during my run and I felt some rug like burn under the two toes next to my big toe. I will give it another go tomorrow and switch socks to see if that makes a difference. For what it’s worth I run in the Epic React in a 12.5 also, but haven’t felt that before sensation before.

Kind of torn as to whether to keep the 12.5 from NDC or the 13 from DSG as I don’t think DSG allows worn returns. Overall i like it. A little stiffer than the Epic React but not as plush as the Pegasus Turbo.

Yep, that's the one I've based my training on. I started last November and chopped 5 minutes off my marathon time and 2 minutes off my half marathon time this year (2:35 to 2:30 and 1:13:10 down to 1:11:15, I also ran 1:11:24 a few weeks ago).

Sorry for the long post, but this topic is something I'm passionate about...

The book is Healthy Intelligent Training by Keith Livingstone. It covers the training methods of Arthur Lydiard - the NZ coach who invented aerobic base training. There's some weird stuff in there, particularly a "hill training" phase he had his athletes do (I don't do that), but it gives a very good description of how to properly execute your aerobic base training (i.e. marathon training). No hard interval sessions, just a good block of solid aerobic training. After all, all races above 800m are something like 90% aerobic. If you're training for a HM or marathon, those are 100% aerobic, so aerobic fitness is really all you need to be focusing on.

The key runs are a bi-weekly MP tempo, one fartlek which consists of a bunch of ten to fifteen second sprints sprinkled into a moderate paced run, and a weekend long run. Buffer all of that with a bunch of easy/recovery running. NO, and I repeat, NO hard interval sessions - that certainly goes against the norm but it is also the key to the training. Keith Livingstone explains why in the book, but it's essentially that doing hard intervals above your Lactate Threshold (i.e. the pace you can race for 1hr) can get you race ready, but the body can only take about 2-3 weeks of that. After that, the hard intervals actually start to deteriorate your aerobic fitness due to the Lactic Acidosis that results. Instead, you focus on getting aerobically fit, and the 60 minute MP tempo runs work to push your Lactate Threshold higher.

An important part to executing the training is figuring out the right pace and effort to run at, especially the MP tempos. Arthur Lyriard would tell his athletes to run at 1/4 effort for easy, 1/2 effort for medium/moderate, and 3/4 effort for MP. The book describes how to relate those effort levels to heart rates based on your resting and maximum heart rate. The formula is MaxHR - RestHR = your Heart Rate Reserve (HRR). HRR is essentially your "working HR range". Effort levels are then based on percentages of your HRR above your RestHR. So a run at 75% of your HRR would be run at RestHR + (.75 x HRR). For example, my RestHR is 42 BPM and my max is 192 BPM. My HRR is then 192 - 42 = 150. A run at 75% of my HRR would be run at 42 + (.75 x 150) = 154.5 BPM. The effort levels are:

Less than 60% of HRR = Recovery
60% to 75% of HRR = Easy to Moderate (1/4 effort)
75% to 85% of HRR = Moderate to MP (3/4 effort)
apprx. 85% of HRR = Lactate Threshold
More than 85% of HRR = Threshold to Vo2Max

This means that your MP tempo is not run at your goal MP but instead the MP based on your current fitness level, dictated by your HR. That was the hard part for me. When I first started, I had to run 6:40mpm to keep my HR in check. After 5 months, I ran 5:43mpm at Grandma's Marathon and just missed breaking 2:30. I am planning on running Boston and Grandma's again next year, probably Chicago in the fall. I plan on training this way for those races as well. It's the offseason for me right now, but come November, I'll be jumping right back in.

Side note: I keep reading and hearing Eliud Kipchoge talk about how he trains at 60%. This rings very true with the training described in this book. You just have to dedicate yourself to staying consistent and trust that the training will work.

Yep, that's the one I've based my training on. I started last November and chopped 5 minutes off my marathon time and 2 minutes off my half marathon time this year (2:35 to 2:30 and 1:13:10 down to 1:11:15, I also ran 1:11:24 a few weeks ago).

Sorry for the long post, but this topic is something I'm passionate about...

The book is Healthy Intelligent Training by Keith Livingstone. It covers the training methods of Arthur Lydiard - the NZ coach who invented aerobic base training. There's some weird stuff in there, particularly a "hill training" phase he had his athletes do (I don't do that), but it gives a very good description of how to properly execute your aerobic base training (i.e. marathon training). No hard interval sessions, just a good block of solid aerobic training. After all, all races above 800m are something like 90% aerobic. If you're training for a HM or marathon, those are 100% aerobic, so aerobic fitness is really all you need to be focusing on.

The key runs are a bi-weekly MP tempo, one fartlek which consists of a bunch of ten to fifteen second sprints sprinkled into a moderate paced run, and a weekend long run. Buffer all of that with a bunch of easy/recovery running. NO, and I repeat, NO hard interval sessions - that certainly goes against the norm but it is also the key to the training. Keith Livingstone explains why in the book, but it's essentially that doing hard intervals above your Lactate Threshold (i.e. the pace you can race for 1hr) can get you race ready, but the body can only take about 2-3 weeks of that. After that, the hard intervals actually start to deteriorate your aerobic fitness due to the Lactic Acidosis that results. Instead, you focus on getting aerobically fit, and the 60 minute MP tempo runs work to push your Lactate Threshold higher.

An important part to executing the training is figuring out the right pace and effort to run at, especially the MP tempos. Arthur Lyriard would tell his athletes to run at 1/4 effort for easy, 1/2 effort for medium/moderate, and 3/4 effort for MP. The book describes how to relate those effort levels to heart rates based on your resting and maximum heart rate. The formula is MaxHR - RestHR = your Heart Rate Reserve (HRR). HRR is essentially your "working HR range". Effort levels are then based on percentages of your HRR above your RestHR. So a run at 75% of your HRR would be run at RestHR + (.75 x HRR). For example, my RestHR is 42 BPM and my max is 192 BPM. My HRR is then 192 - 42 = 150. A run at 75% of my HRR would be run at 42 + (.75 x 150) = 154.5 BPM. The effort levels are:

Less than 60% of HRR = Recovery
60% to 75% of HRR = Easy to Moderate (1/4 effort)
75% to 85% of HRR = Moderate to MP (3/4 effort)
apprx. 85% of HRR = Lactate Threshold
More than 85% of HRR = Threshold to Vo2Max

This means that your MP tempo is not run at your goal MP but instead the MP based on your current fitness level, dictated by your HR. That was the hard part for me. When I first started, I had to run 6:40mpm to keep my HR in check. After 5 months, I ran 5:43mpm at Grandma's Marathon and just missed breaking 2:30. I am planning on running Boston and Grandma's again next year, probably Chicago in the fall. I plan on training this way for those races as well. It's the offseason for me right now, but come November, I'll be jumping right back in.

Side note: I keep reading and hearing Eliud Kipchoge talk about how he trains at 60%. This rings very true with the training described in this book. You just have to dedicate yourself to staying consistent and trust that the training will work.
Maybe this is covered in the book, but how do you account for cardiac drift when training by heart rate? This is something that I struggle with. Do you drop your pace as your HR starts to naturally creep up? Or do you just care about your average HR?

Maybe this is covered in the book, but how do you account for cardiac drift when training by heart rate? This is something that I struggle with. Do you drop your pace as your HR starts to naturally creep up? Or do you just care about your average HR?

The trick is to determine a HR range that you're trying to hit rather than a specific HR, then target the lower end of that range at the beginning and increase the pace as you go and as your HR allows (i.e. a progression). With my 60 minute MP tempo runs, I want the overall average to be 160 to 165 BPM (preferably 162'ish), so I try to keep my HR under 160 BPM for the first half, then let it creep up to 165 BPM or slightly above that towards the end. If I start bumping into the 170's, that's too high and I immediately back off. This is obviously going to be really really hard if it's super humid or hot (run inside on a treadmill then). You also need to hydrate, so I like to do these as loops where I swing by my car or bottle at least every 10 minutes (I don't like to carry water). I also like to do them on a relatively flat course. I hate to say it, but the treadmill is the best place to run these if you have a treadmill where it's cool and ventilated. I live in WI so over the winter I open the windows in the room where my treadmill is and it stays in the upper 40's the entire time and it's pretty easy to keep the effort level right.

But yeah, if you have issues with cardiac drift, slow down at the beginning and progress into them.

Back
Top Bottom