Nike Zoom Vaporfly Elite 2017

AIR ZOOM TYPE

1590088663625.jpeg

Unexpected geometries and hand-made detailing are hallmarks of the new Nike Air Zoom Type. The shoe's form finds its shape from an initial prototype for the Nike Air Zoom Alphafly Next%, but rather than set for record-breaking, the Air Zoom Type is engineered to solve for stress on the body and feet during a full day out.

The shoe has two Zoom Air pods in the forefoot and a supportive TPU plate running through the midsole. Both technical elements are housed within a plush foam and help create a new underfoot experience and sensation. The silhouette, stance, material choices and detailing celebrate Nike's irreverent approach to performance design, with an eye to progressive solutions for all athletes.

"We took the original prototype, scanned it and then reverse-engineered it for daily wear," says Lee Gibson, Nike Design Lead. "For example, the TPU plate provides some of the modulation of the Alphafly carbon plate, but doesn't give as aggressive of a rocking sensation."

1590088700591.jpeg

Aesthetically, the main objective of the Air Zoom Type was to hold as close as possible to the original hand-built prototype created in Beaverton, Oregon. This approach evolves the concept-driven Nike N. 354 label. While most of the output under the experimental banner reworks prototypes from the Department of Nike Archives, the Air Zoom Type derives from working real-time with the investigation of a new performance product. The parallel path creates visual continuity between the shoe and the closely connected Nike Zoom Alphafly Next%.

"Rather than just repackage an aesthetic, I felt it was authentic to create a true connection to the innovation story," says Gibson. "We achieve that by drafting off the initial concept and idea, ultimately delivering a really raw, visceral version of the performance runner."

The shoe's details also relay the creative process in the finished product. The hand of the designer is apparent — seen in elements like the N.354 logo treatment and overt stitching. And, with a subtle DNA touch, the breathable tongue is nod to another pioneering Nike running shoe, the Lunar Racer.

The Nike Air Zoom Type releases June 5 on SNKRS, SNEAKERS and at select retailers.

1590088791466.jpeg
White ones are fire, but can I run in these?!?

I personally cannot wear Vaporfly for casual use. The propel-forward feeling and soft-squeezy midsole aren't just working out for regular walking. Zoom Fly on the other hand, is good walking (and running) shoes.

Do we think there will be a limit on the Alphafly from NDC? I might pick up a pair for myself and the wife but didn’t know if they would limit it to one pair per order.

Anyone running in the Saucony Endorphin Pro? I’m thinking of coping in place of the %. Based on the pics of the sole you should be able to get more miles than the %.

I was thinking these would be less durable than the Next % as there seems to be less rubber on the forefoot section of the outsole.

Anyone running in the Saucony Endorphin Pro? I’m thinking of coping in place of the %. Based on the pics of the sole you should be able to get more miles than the %.

so far a lot of the first impression reviews don’t seem like they are anything spectacular and with no races happening any time soon, i ended up passing on these when the original preorder happened.

i am interested in the other two shoes from the endorphin line tailored more as a daily trainers

So my friend Malbec and I were thinking about vaporfly colorways and our top 3 are: (1) valerian blue next%, (2) ekiden 4% flyknit, and (3) bright crimson/sapphire 4% flyknit. What’s yours?

So my friend Malbec and I were thinking about vaporfly colorways and our top 3 are: (1) valerian blue next%, (2) ekiden 4% flyknit, and (3) bright crimson/sapphire 4% flyknit. What’s yours?

1. sail next %
2. ice blue OG 4%
3. ekiden flyknit 4%

ice blue (elite version with ankle collar)
flyprint (with that gradient-esque green upper)
og grey (light blue + crimson on the midsole reminds me gt40 gulf)

blue flyknits (honorable mentions as its just a super clean cw)

im curious if it’ll sell well or sit

nike can slap the sacai label on it and sell out in seconds

Reminds me of the Vapor Streets And Vapor Street Pegs....two shoes I’ve put a ton of miles on....feel like a stiffer % without the plates....these might be a cheaper alternative then the Alpha’s and are destined for one place...the outlets

Back
Top Bottom