NikeTalk will be moving from July 13th-14th.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Our move will begin tomorrow, July 12th.

The process will occur in three stages, designed to minimize downtime.

Tomorrow morning (Pacific), we will experience approximately 1 hour of downtime.  This will be the only period of total downtime we'll endure.  During this time, all of the site's data will be prepared for our move.

When the site returns, we'll enter a "read only" state for about 24-36 hours.  Posting will be possible, but only in a special temporary forum.  

If all goes well, sometime in the evening of July 13th you'll see the new site.  Once you see the new site, all you need to do is sign in.  Your existing password will work.  You'll have access to all your posts and private messages.  

If you think of it in terms of moving to a new house, the first phase requires us to pack everything up and place it on a moving vehicle for delivery to the new house.  While everything is being moved and set up in the new house, you can continue to hang out in the old house.  If you were to paint the walls in the old house, the change wouldn't be carried over in the new house.  On the 13th, visits to niketalk.com will be re-routed to the new address.  

Due to the way that domain name severs are cached, different people may gain access to the new site at different times.  

As long as you can sign in and sign out of your account, you are all set for the move.  

We greatly appreciate everyone's patience and support throughout this process.  
Somebody, que The Office 'It's Happening' gif

giphy.gif

Can't wait to see how many people lose their minds when the site is down for a little while :lol:

Can't wait to see how many people lose their minds when the site is down for a little while :lol:

You know theres a large % of people who do nothing but post in their subscribed threads and have never seen or heard about this transition.
I wish I could be a fly on the wall for their reactions :rofl:

I appreciate all the enthusiasm.  This is a fairly substantive process, as you might expect for a site with over 17 years of data, so I hope everyone won't be disappointed when they sign in tomorrow and see the same old site.  

The new one likely won't be up until late on 7/13, depending on caching, but I'm sure that, by opening the old site up to temporary posting throughout the majority of the migration process, we'll still be able to have fun while we wait.

Oh, and it should go without stating - but all the rules will remain in effect in the temporary posting area, even though that content won't travel with us.  Don't be the one who gets banned for acting like the last day on Huddler NT is their last day on Earth. 
Well damn, that was fast.
My apologies for the abruptness of the announcement.  I wanted to make certain the move would take place before announcing a date and time.  We've missed previous, unannounced estimates.

Though it may seem fast, this move has been over six months in the making.  

We're grateful to our friends at Community Hired, who've been working with us all year long to make this happen.  I hope all the time and resources poured into the project will be evident once the new site goes live.
Gonna miss this old place. So many memories. I love you Meth.
The memories and content we take with us.  The ugly desktop background, dated graphics, half-working mobile site, and the abandoned forum software we leave behind.  

Can't wait to see how many people lose their minds when the site is down for a little while
laugh.gif
The total amount of time you'll see a maintenance screen instead of NikeTalk should actually be less than two hours.  That's the genius of temporary posting.  (Thanks @HuddlerSteph!)

We expect that there will be some confusion among those who ignore/skim the moving announcement, though, as they won't understand why they can't reply to the existing threads for most of 7/12 and 7/13.   This thread will be featured, along with a prominent link to the temporary posting area, once we've entered the "read only" state. 

This sounds like preparations for war.

It's gonna be ugly, we may lose some good posts, but if we stick to the plan and work as a team we just may make it through to the other side.

Thanks for all your efforts, Meth and co. Can't wait to see the new NT. I have NO clue what it'll look like :nerd:. I'll have to get my mini-endorphin rushes from Twitter for those couple hours.

Last edited:
Thank god nothing will happen to my stuff since I "officially" created an account 2 years ago.........well fellas, lets get ready for that steady ride
glasses.gif

Our move will begin tomorrow, July 12th.

The process will occur in three stages, designed to minimize downtime.

Tomorrow morning (Pacific), we will experience approximately 1 hour of downtime.  This will be the only period of total downtime we'll endure.  During this time, all of the site's data will be prepared for our move.

When the site returns, we'll enter a "read only" state for about 24-36 hours.  Posting will be possible, but only in a special temporary forum.  

If all goes well, sometime in the evening of July 13th you'll see the new site.  Once you see the new site, all you need to do is sign in.  Your existing password will work.  You'll have access to all your posts and private messages.  

If you think of it in terms of moving to a new house, the first phase requires us to pack everything up and place it on a moving vehicle for delivery to the new house.  While everything is being moved and set up in the new house, you can continue to hang out in the old house.  If you were to paint the walls in the old house, the change wouldn't be carried over in the new house.  On the 13th, visits to niketalk.com will be re-routed to the new address.  

Due to the way that domain name severs are cached, different people may gain access to the new site at different times.  

As long as you can sign in and sign out of your account, you are all set for the move.  

We greatly appreciate everyone's patience and support throughout this process.  

can you name the special temporary forum 'the thread about everything' :nerd:

Cool. Interested to see how easy it is to post pix and gifs and stuff.

Post count and reps going over? Dope.

You know theres a large % of people who do nothing but post in their subscribed threads and have never seen or heard about this transition.
I wish I could be a fly on the wall for their reactions :rofl:

Really though. I tried to stray from my subs recently and it was like visiting a different city. A lot of unrecognizable faces and a couple names I haven't seen in years. :rofl:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom