Niketalks obsession with racial threads inspired me to write... Another race thread

great post Essential. race wouldn't be this big of an issue, if it weren't for Europeans causing racial division across our entire planet since the beginning of civilization.

Europeans literally FUBAR'ed human society.. no matter how much we want things to be normal again, they never will be.

great post Essential. race wouldn't be this big of an issue, if it weren't for Europeans causing racial division across our entire planet since the beginning of civilization.

Europeans literally FUBAR'ed human society.. no matter how much we want things to be normal again, they never will be.

Originally Posted by Essential1

I am white. So I will state it from my experience dealing with others in my race.

Here is the reason.. Back in the 1970's when race problems were at a tipping point (meaning becoming less than they ever had been) there was a perfect time for white and black people to discuss the topic of race honestly. To show how it still effects a person with black skin, and make huge gains on breaking up the problems of race. You can never get rid of it fully BUT you can make huge strides. There has always been one group willing to discuss it, and be honest but every time one group doesn't come to the table.. White people... White people didn't do it in the 1800's, early 1900's, 1960's, 1970's, 1980's, 1990's and still won't do it today... They assume it is overstated. That black people are just complaining. But the issue is they assume without knowing. They assume that 'hey they have the right to vote', 'are not still segregated', 'there is a black president' and 'there is legislation to prevent discrimination', 'so there is no way black people can have it any worse'.. When the catalyst of being black in this country leads to so many different hardships that white people never have to deal with. White people are so quick to embrace the benefits of white privilege, but are also so quick to deny its benefits when you can see the negative outcome it has for other races (especially black people)

They say 'ignorance is bliss' and the behavior of my own race when it comes to equal rights is no different today than it was in 1970. For the most part they want to brush it under the rug and forget about it. But there is no brushing it under the rug. It never goes anywhere unless you actually do something about it.

So in order for race to ever be fully understood and for racism to be severely stomped out, white people need to come to the discussion table honestly and with good intentions. Willing to be open minded, and willing to listen, because if not they will just bring the long held opinions they had before that, "black people don't have it too bad". Then nothing gets accomplished..

The problems of race in this country is not just a black problem like many have diagnosed. It is more of a problem of white denial..
eek.gif

I am white. So I will state it from my experience dealing with others in my race.

Here is the reason.. Back in the 1970's when race problems were at a tipping point (meaning becoming less than they ever had been) there was a perfect time for white and black people to discuss the topic of race honestly. To show how it still effects a person with black skin, and make huge gains on breaking up the problems of race. You can never get rid of it fully BUT you can make huge strides. There has always been one group willing to discuss it, and be honest but every time one group doesn't come to the table.. White people... White people didn't do it in the 1800's, early 1900's, 1960's, 1970's, 1980's, 1990's and still won't do it today... They assume it is overstated. That black people are just complaining. But the issue is they assume without knowing. They assume that 'hey they have the right to vote', 'are not still segregated', 'there is a black president' and 'there is legislation to prevent discrimination', 'so there is no way black people can have it any worse'.. When the catalyst of being black in this country leads to so many different hardships that white people never have to deal with. White people are so quick to embrace the benefits of white privilege, but are also so quick to deny its benefits when you can see the negative outcome it has for other races (especially black people)

They say 'ignorance is bliss' and the behavior of my own race when it comes to equal rights is no different today than it was in 1970. For the most part they want to brush it under the rug and forget about it. But there is no brushing it under the rug. It never goes anywhere unless you actually do something about it.

So in order for race to ever be fully understood and for racism to be severely stomped out, white people need to come to the discussion table honestly and with good intentions. Willing to be open minded, and willing to listen, because if not they will just bring the long held opinions they had before that, "black people don't have it too bad". Then nothing gets accomplished..

The problems of race in this country is not just a black problem like many have diagnosed. It is more of a problem of white denial..
eek.gif

Great post.

I disagree with you on the very last part though.  I don't think it's an issue of white denial.  I think it's an issue of ignorance and a lack of consideration for others.

The fact of it all is, human language only goes so far.  The most eloquent of speakers might be able to make you recall an emotion, maybe even imagine one, but a person can never, EVER, understand an emotion without experiencing it for themselves.

And that's why things will never change.  For as long as America has been around, white people have been the ones in power.  They are our prototype.  From the moment our country was founded, white people were considered the default, and all other peoples became "different".

That is why white people can't seem to fully grasp the concept of racism.  They can understand that racism causes people to make life worse for others, but they can never understand being ostracized by complete strangers for traits that they couldn't hide if they wanted to.  They can never understand what it feels like to be hated for being the son of your parents and a product of your people.  They don't understand that there is real hate out there for people from different cultures, and that hate can potentially intensify based on how much we love who we are.

Sorry for the long post.  It just bothers me that an idea like hating a complete stranger based on what race you think they are is so painfully widespread.

Great post.

I disagree with you on the very last part though.  I don't think it's an issue of white denial.  I think it's an issue of ignorance and a lack of consideration for others.

The fact of it all is, human language only goes so far.  The most eloquent of speakers might be able to make you recall an emotion, maybe even imagine one, but a person can never, EVER, understand an emotion without experiencing it for themselves.

And that's why things will never change.  For as long as America has been around, white people have been the ones in power.  They are our prototype.  From the moment our country was founded, white people were considered the default, and all other peoples became "different".

That is why white people can't seem to fully grasp the concept of racism.  They can understand that racism causes people to make life worse for others, but they can never understand being ostracized by complete strangers for traits that they couldn't hide if they wanted to.  They can never understand what it feels like to be hated for being the son of your parents and a product of your people.  They don't understand that there is real hate out there for people from different cultures, and that hate can potentially intensify based on how much we love who we are.

Sorry for the long post.  It just bothers me that an idea like hating a complete stranger based on what race you think they are is so painfully widespread.

ItsGettinHot doesn't that still fall under the idea of white denial though...

Because they would know what is going on but ignore it because they deemed something as different.. And that they are supposed to be in charge because it has always been that way ignoring that they caused sed reason..

So wouldn't it come as protecting the way something is through means of denial because change is not "feasible" in their mind.

Because they would know what is going on but ignore it because they deemed something as different.. And that they are supposed to be in charge because it has always been that way ignoring that they caused sed reason..

So wouldn't it come as protecting the way something is through means of denial because change is not "feasible" in their mind.

Well, take for example, bullying.  (sorry I just watched Karate Kid)

It's very common for people to slightly ignore children when they speak of bullying.  Some people never really experience it.  They might think of name calling.  Maybe exclusion.  The point is, they don't understand.

But as a child, it can be an utterly terrifying experience.  You can get the crap kicked out of you and not have a single ray of hope in sight.  You can be beaten physically, while simultaneously experiencing all the humiliation, helplessness, and terror that come with it.

If an adult had been seriously bullied in the past, they would no doubt empathize more with those children, right?  They would fully understand the difference between the word "bullying" and getting beat the
f5235c65ebf573f38059f18252fd782f6562674.gif
up and not being able to do anything about it.

Now look at racism.  Personally, I think the scariest part about racism in America is that it's very clear that white people have more power.  They are more prominent in positions of prestige, they have higher percentages of happily ever after lifestyles, and they make up a big majority of the country's population.  (around 80% last time I checked)

Under those circumstances, how could a white person truly understand the fear that racism can ignite?  They don't understand that minorities not only have to worry about their own worlds being unfair, but they have to accept that they will be raising their children and children's children in that same, hateful world.

I'm just saying that white people know the word racism, but do not truly understand the heavy sadness it comes with when it's your reality, not someone elses.

Well, take for example, bullying.  (sorry I just watched Karate Kid)

It's very common for people to slightly ignore children when they speak of bullying.  Some people never really experience it.  They might think of name calling.  Maybe exclusion.  The point is, they don't understand.

But as a child, it can be an utterly terrifying experience.  You can get the crap kicked out of you and not have a single ray of hope in sight.  You can be beaten physically, while simultaneously experiencing all the humiliation, helplessness, and terror that come with it.

If an adult had been seriously bullied in the past, they would no doubt empathize more with those children, right?  They would fully understand the difference between the word "bullying" and getting beat the
f5235c65ebf573f38059f18252fd782f6562674.gif
up and not being able to do anything about it.

Now look at racism.  Personally, I think the scariest part about racism in America is that it's very clear that white people have more power.  They are more prominent in positions of prestige, they have higher percentages of happily ever after lifestyles, and they make up a big majority of the country's population.  (around 80% last time I checked)

Under those circumstances, how could a white person truly understand the fear that racism can ignite?  They don't understand that minorities not only have to worry about their own worlds being unfair, but they have to accept that they will be raising their children and children's children in that same, hateful world.

I'm just saying that white people know the word racism, but do not truly understand the heavy sadness it comes with when it's your reality, not someone elses.

Back
Top Bottom