• Both!

Votes: 4 14.3%
  • None!

Votes: 8 28.6%
  • O.0

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Continuing to read up on the switch and saw that Reggie mentioned that matchmaking and lobbies will be done through a phone app.....what?

WOW, THIS IS HORRIBLE! Especially when the competition has all of this PLUS BLU RAY player and 4K streaming.

The Switch will be a “dedicated gaming platform”, and won’t launch with multimedia support, according to a report from Business Insider.

Which means the console won’t launch with support for popular streaming apps like Netflix, Amazon Video, and YouTube. While this isn’t a huge deal — most of us have several ways of streaming online video — it would have been great if Nintendo incorporated these features like other consoles do.

At least Nintendo could have added Switch Netflix support — even the Wii U supports Netflix.

Do you think this is a big deal? Let us know in the comments section!

Last edited:
Continuing to read up on the switch and saw that Reggie mentioned that matchmaking and lobbies will be done through a phone app.....what?

One of the shocking announcements from last week’s Nintendo Switch event was how the console would handle online interactions. Players will be able to use an upcoming app on their smartphone to talk to other players online. In a new interview with GameSpot, Nintendo of America president Reggie Fils-Aime discussed the app in a little more detail.

When asked about how “smartphones tie into the Switch” Reggie responded with the following message:

The smart phone app that we’re creating, that will be part of our online service, we believe is going to be a very compelling part of the overall proposition because that’s how you’ll voice chat, that’s how you’ll do your matchmaking, and create your lobby. We also think it’s a very elegant solution because if you’ve taken your switch on the go, you’ve put yourself in a hotspot, you’re looking at get a quick match of Mario Kart in, to whip out some sort of bulky, gamer headset is a bit of a challenge.

So we think we’ve got an elegant solution. That’s a very specific answer to your question.

The important takeaway from this interview is the apparent fact that all of your typical online interactions will be facilitated by the application. This begs the question of which, if any, of these are usable without the app?

The Nintendo Switch launches in March, but the app won’t be available until Summer. With Mario Kart 8 Deluxe available in April, we’ll likely know more in-depth details about what’s possible without the app soon enough.

Not a big deal imo. As if people don't have a smartphone, tablet, pc, console, htpc, smart tv, media box/stick anyways.

WOW, THIS IS HORRIBLE! Especially when the competition has all of this PLUS BLU RAY player and 4K streaming.

The Switch will be a “dedicated gaming platform”, and won’t launch with multimedia support, according to a report from Business Insider.

Which means the console won’t launch with support for popular streaming apps like Netflix, Amazon Video, and YouTube. While this isn’t a huge deal — most of us have several ways of streaming online video — it would have been great if Nintendo incorporated these features like other consoles do.

At least Nintendo could have added Switch Netflix support — even the Wii U supports Netflix.

This really does nothing for me and I don't really think this should do anything for anyone else either. There's only a small percentage of consumers I would think that are even concerned with running those apps on a Nintendo device as opposed to any other sort of Google Home/Amazon TV Stick device or Xbox/Playstation. I don't think Nintendo cares as much about 3rd party anything because they already know most of their audience is just devoted Nintendo fans that mostly care about the Nintendo core products. Almost none of Nintendo's great successes have ever come from anything 3rd party so they know they can treat it as an afterthought while focusing on what got them here which is their core product. At this point I don't think Nintendo is even trying to compete with Sony, Microsoft or anyone else out their because they understand the how the industries consumer's taste has changed. They know they'll never be at the Sony/Xbox level console so they're just doing what they do best at this point which is working for them.

This could not possibly be more irrelevant for me.

So now I need to juggle two devices around to be able to play online and chat. An elegant solution would be in incorporate this all into one device. There is nothing Nintendo can say that will make this sound reasonable.

So now I need to juggle two devices around to be able to play online and chat. An elegant solution would be in incorporate this all into one device. There is nothing Nintendo can say that will make this sound reasonable.

I would agree becasue it does sound cumbersome, my big problem is why wasn't this already ready for the big reveal. Hopefully when it does come out it works well, otherwise they will not be getting me to pay for this service.

Edit: As for Netflix and all those streaming services, don't really care one way or another. I already own so many devices that play this content it's irrelevant to me.

Last edited:
The online debacle is weird as hell to me. I won't be paying for their online service. Nintendo should have just kept it F2P online. They're obviously not ready to step into that business.

Agreed.

I don't see the "won't launch with multimedia support" as meaning that it won't be getting streaming services.

At the most, it may not have them at launch, but with the Wii and Wii-U both having most of those, it doesn't seem realistic that a more capable console would for whatever reason not be able to utilize them through apps.

I see that statement as referring to the fact that the only inputs the Switch supports are cartridges and microSD. You can't play any disk media, so the closest it'll likely get to a multimedia device is an app that allows things sideloaded onto the microSD to be played.

Last edited:

The reason this is relevant is because people/families are buying system with multiple uses. My PS4 is my games system as well as my Blu-ray player.

It might not be important to you but considering the PS4 is $299, includes games, plays blu-rays, and plenty of media apps. Many parents would look at Switch as an easy pass.

The reason this is relevant is because people/families are buying system with multiple uses. My PS4 is my games system as well as my Blu-ray player.

It might not be important to you but considering the PS4 is $299, includes games, plays blu-rays, and plenty of media apps. Many parents would look at Switch as an easy pass.
This, especially in 2017. Especially for the kids can watch nexflixs and youtube.

I'm not mad at the lack of media support at launch but the main menu is gonna be really dry :wow:

Last edited:
Not even mad at the no multimedia/streaming service. As far as having to carry 2 devices, my Switch was not going to be my phone too... so there is already another streaming device (Netflix/YouTube/etc) that I will have on my person.
And I'm not sure how ppl find that it's not going to be playing blurays a surprise when it's been noted for a while now that it's a cartridge based system.
BUT, what I am upset with Nintendo about, is the fact that BOTW is going to be the WiiUs last game. This makes me upset because that's my sons system he uses. I know he's going to want to play Splatoon 2. And the fact that it won't be coming (or any other game for that matter) to WiiU is a bummer. They still made last generation games well into the life of newer consoles, and the WiiU dies when the Switch releases.

Might need to get my son a Switch now [emoji]128530[/emoji]

Lack of multimedia doesn't matter to me. Online multiplayer feature like chat, lobby matchmaking etc. being tied to a phone app is terrible. It's worse because you have to pay for it.

Biggest concern is getting game audio and chat at same time. Nintendo should have at least made the voice chat be streamed through the Switch console, not your phone, with the option of using a Bluetooth headset.

He aint lyin [emoji]128064[/emoji]

that's what I've been saying all along

the only people excited for this are mostly people who didn't have the previous system

yes there are some who had the wii u that traded up but honestly why?

same crap outside of the new mario which is dropping next christmas more than likely

a portable system without portable features smh

short sell the useless nes mini to create fake hype for the wii 3

my wii u is essentially a $300 mario kart machine or however much it was I don't even remember

Back
Top Bottom