"Nothing Was The Same" After I Dropped That "Control" Verse...

i thought it was common knowledge that kdot wasnt the most lyrical, i listen to his album on the regular but he has never said a line that has made me rewind the track just to make sure i heard what i just heard. all that being said though, i was hyped after control because i thought it would get everyone else to step their games up. can never hate a guy for going at people, mad props to kendrick

exactly. which is why i dont understand the hype about dude. he makes good songs, there's no argument there, but when cats talk about hardest in the game..that's easily debatable when you dont really have bars like that to back up those claims. hard to me isn't based on hit records, **** mmg stays with joints on the radio getting spins, most of them dudes *** cheeks. you gotta have bars + music. he has great energy, and cool rap voice, sans the accent, and a nice style, but line for line, he's not that strong. the last quarter of his cypher verse was bunk.

the hype reminds me of how frustrated i used to get with cats in hs all gassed on jeezy. like yo are we listening to the same guy? i just don't see how you can grow up listening to certain artists and then be impressed by one that doesnt come close to them. in all honesty, besides song quality, j.cole is lightyears beyond k.dot to me. dude actually impresses me sometimes. i dont know if he'll ever blow blow, but he def has that talent.

again, its all my opinion, so dont get emotional guys, i still wanna see him go against drake...but in all honesty, based on bar potential, if dude stops being doctor cotton, i think it'd be lightwork for drake simply off of his style for writing. i think he'd have more stingers. k.dot would have more material, easily, but drake would probably have a harder diss record.

You dont need bars to be considered the best. Look at Pac. He wasnt spitting bars, and he recognized as one of the greatest. It's all about preference in what you want from a rapper. Do you want a solid song, or do you just want bars. The bar spitting rappers don't get much love because they don't make quality songs. Not too many can do both. The last to truly perfect that balance in my book was Biggie. Biggie was real lyrical but he made great songs also. You can't say that for most bar for bar rappers. Kendrick has that balance. J Cole, in my opinion, doesnt. He's cool, but his music is forgettable and boring to me, although I do like his work. Kendrick just has things going for him: he has that balance of lyricism and song quality, he's not just a street rapper, he can get slightly conscience, there isn't much competition out in the west, and hip hop is just up for grabs right now, nobody is running things.

Last edited:
exactly. which is why i dont understand the hype about dude. he makes good songs, there's no argument there, but when cats talk about hardest in the game..that's easily debatable when you dont really have bars like that to back up those claims. hard to me isn't based on hit records, **** mmg stays with joints on the radio getting spins, most of them dudes *** cheeks. you gotta have bars + music. he has great energy, and cool rap voice, sans the accent, and a nice style, but line for line, he's not that strong. the last quarter of his cypher verse was bunk.

the hype reminds me of how frustrated i used to get with cats in hs all gassed on jeezy. like yo are we listening to the same guy? i just don't see how you can grow up listening to certain artists and then be impressed by one that doesnt come close to them. in all honesty, besides song quality, j.cole is lightyears beyond k.dot to me. dude actually impresses me sometimes. i dont know if he'll ever blow blow, but he def has that talent.

again, its all my opinion, so dont get emotional guys, i still wanna see him go against drake...but in all honesty, based on bar potential, if dude stops being doctor cotton, i think it'd be lightwork for drake simply off of his style for writing. i think he'd have more stingers. k.dot would have more material, easily, but drake would probably have a harder diss record.

You dont need bars to be considered the best. Look at Pac. He wasnt spitting bars, and he recognized as one of the greatest. It's all about preference in what you want from a rapper. Do you want a solid song, or do you just want bars. The bar spitting rappers don't get much love because they don't make quality songs. Not too many can do both. The last to truly perfect that balance in my book was Biggie. Biggie was real lyrical but he made great songs also. You can't say that for most bar for bar rappers. Kendrick has that balance. J Cole, in my opinion, doesnt. He's cool, but his music is forgettable and boring to me, although I do like his work. Kendrick just has things going for him: he has that balance of lyricism and song quality, he's not just a street rapper, he can get slightly conscience, there isn't much competition out in the west, and hip hop is just up for grabs right now, nobody is running things.

Biggie was the last? No love for Hov? I have no disagreement with your post. It was 50/50 pac and big over who was better. i agree with everything you'd said. so then does that make ken the new pac and drake the new faith evans?

Biggie was the last? No love for Hov? I have no disagreement with your post. It was 50/50 pac and big over who was better. i agree with everything you'd said. so then does that make ken the new pac and drake the new faith evans?

I don't have the same like for Hov like most others do. I just used Biggie as a personal example. And as far as Kendrick and Drake goes, Kendrick just makes more memorable music IMO. GKMC will be remembered for a minute, seeing as it's being called a modern classic, while Drake, is just making decent music that'll fade soon, at least in my opinion.

And two other things, I'm not the biggest Kendrick fan, I didn't like GKMC as much as ,many others did so I don't want to come off as a Stan or anything. And Jeezy's Thug Motivation 101 was a classic.

kendrick has bars... bars dont only come in the form of punchlines... being descriptive and able to tell a cohesive story are also aspects of lyricism

Word!! Punchline rap is impressive fore 2 seconds its has no longevity or high replay value. Saying Kendrick doesn't have bars is just plain foolish..

kendrick has bars... bars dont only come in the form of punchlines... being descriptive and able to tell a cohesive story are also aspects of lyricism
Word!! Punchline rap is impressive fore 2 seconds its has no longevity or high replay value. Saying Kendrick doesn't have bars is just plain foolish..
depends what you're trying to do, if you're making a song about something important in your life then yeah telling a story is a great art/skill and imo its kdot's best trait. however if you're getting at other rappers in a "diss track" then yes you do need punchlines and cleaver wordplay, sure kendrick can hold his own but there are people that are better than him at this.

upon closer inspection...budden's verse **** on kendricks. k.dot brought the energy, no doubt, but bar for bar...hell no.

'I can get you hit now, with a future hook'

a colder concept than anything Kendrick has said in 2013
Really tho? Buddens verse was good but you picked this out of all lines to compare to Kdot? Sounds like a Big Sean/Lil Wayne line.

Yep

Punchline rap isn't just Lil Wayne.

The Jewish Ja Rule ain't finna respond...

...might as well lock this thread.

:lol:

upon closer inspection...budden's verse **** on kendricks. k.dot brought the energy, no doubt, but bar for bar...hell no.

'I can get you hit now, with a future hook'

a colder concept than anything Kendrick has said in 2013
Really tho? Buddens verse was good but you picked this out of all lines to compare to Kdot? Sounds like a Big Sean/Lil Wayne line.

I don't even think Budden's verse was that good, lazy *** flow, no energy, and re-using a Cassidy bar??? As an NJer and Budden fan, I was highly disappointed outside of the bar Freeze mentioned. :rolleyes

Last edited:
Kendrick not really a bar spitting rapper though. At least I don't see him to be like that type of rapper.

again, its all my opinion, so dont get emotional guys, i still wanna see him go against drake...but in all honesty, based on bar potential, if dude stops being doctor cotton, i think it'd be lightwork for drake simply off of his style for writing. i think he'd have more stingers. k.dot would have more material, easily, but idk if he's wired to put it in a strong enough diss verse to dog in a battle. drake would probably have a harder diss record. i mean if you examine the control verse..it truly wasnt thaaaaaat nice, it was just wild unexpected and out of left field, and that why it caught dudes sleeping. but line wise, it wasn't that tough, it just had bad intentions behind it so it meant more. K.dot has a great rhyme scheme, but i don't think he's a conceptual rapper, with deep metaphors and double ent.'s unless i'm missing something? it's just a really good rhymer, which is cool, not everybody can reach under the surface. not saying drake is either, but yea.

i can respect this perspective. j.cole is def talented and his albums have been on repeat for a min. i can't really agree or disagree, id have to think about it. personally i judge good hip hop less on punchline, but more on substance. thats why i messes with j cole, drake, nas, kweli, yassin bey, kendrick. its more story telling of personal experience/implications of past life experiences/etc, and less 'yo i made a quick mili, movin bricks across da border, call me scarface, i come thru in da hemi wit mad btches.' or some generic madness like that. but with a whole lot of lyrical creativity.

aka most of hip hop today.

this isn't to say i don't like some harder rap ****. The Cypher went hard. im just sayin im over that rick ross lavish lifestyle mayhem. that **** is wack b.

to me -- this is the epitome of rapping and lyrical ability . not only is he coming with the stuff i mentioned earlier (consonance , assonance , alliteration , multiples , etc.) but the way he goes about detailing the conversation between his Uncle and father about how he should be brought up , drugs , and the struggles of the hood is CRAZY

saying Kendrick doesnt have bars is either just hating , or you have a completely different criteria for what makes rap good than i do . theres just no other explanation

****** don't listen to rap anymore. Kendrick doesn't have bars? But Drake does?

:ROLLIN

Dudes like listening to lullaby's n ****. Prosthetic heart *** ******

Last edited:
Im open minded and more than willing to consider your opinions...provide some lines that you guys think are hard then. Show me something that I might have missed. Because I can give you madddd lines from guys that I think are better.

to me -- this is the epitome of rapping and lyrical ability . not only is he coming with the stuff i mentioned earlier (consonance , assonance , alliteration , multiples , etc.) but the way he goes about detailing the conversation between his Uncle and father about how he should be brought up , drugs , and the struggles of the hood is CRAZY

saying Kendrick doesnt have bars is either just hating , or you have a completely different criteria for what makes rap good than i do . theres just no other explanation

i see you...and raise you.

Im open minded and more than willing to consider your opinions...provide some lines that you guys think are hard then. Show me something that I might have missed. Because I can give you madddd lines from guys that I think are better.

Freeze, from what it sounds like, your view on music is solely based on punchlines. If that's the case, I see why you don't think Kendrick is hard as others.

i see you...and raise you.

Posts like these are whats wrong with peoples way of thinking.

Something is always about "well, I feel like someone is better at it, so that means this guy can't do it at all"

Thats not the case. Just cause you guys feel like someone may be MORE lyrical, that still doesn't mean Kendrick isn't lyrical at all.

Thats like me saying "Oh, CP3 has better handles and ball control than Rondo or Kyrie Irving". Does that mean they aren't great ball handlers? No :lol:

Kendrick is lyrical. Just listen to the guys music, almost any song honestly.. I honestly don't know how anyone can listen to dude and not recognize how the dude drops mad lines. Everything doesn't have to be a SMACK cypher/battle verse.

Everything doesn't have to be deciphered in order to be considered a great lyrical verse or bar.

And Cole got mad bars, not knocking young light skinned.
Lupe in his prime is definitely smashing dudes, as well as a gang of other cats. But that doesn't mean Kendrick ain't a lyrical beast.

Back
Top Bottom