NT, convince me "cutting the cord" is a good idea

Sling is pretty great. Prices are decent, and channel packages are pretty good. I have Fios and Sling because I refuse to add $55 to my bill for VICELAND.
like i mentioned before in past comments....slingtv is the truth! plus they have 100gb of DVR...WHAT?!!!  You get all the main basic channels (tnt, tbs, food, hgtv, vice, cnn, disney, etc) and you just add the sports package for +$5 and for $25 you have all you need.

I had the Roku but PS Vue looked like trash on it. The guide and setup was awful so I got rid of it. Took a while to find a firestick, every store sells out but I'm loving PS Vue. Clear as hell, the DVR feature is great. I get enough channels for the price and have three people in my house watching it at the same time.

I'm a have to look into Sling again, the prices was good but there was a problem when I was looking at it.

Reevaluating my choice now, thinking about Sling mostly based on the fact that it's already integrated in Android TV while Direct TV Now isn't. We barely even watch our cable now so I may go Sling for a bit but don't wanna lose out on the $35 DirecTVNow pricing.

I'm bout to cut Verizon in the near future. $150 for cable and internet is too much, considering I only watch 10-15 channels. Straight Robbery, I have a slingbox 500 that I was just using to stream my DVR to the office via Apple TV. Wonder if it has slingtv on there.

Last edited:
Does VerizonFios charge you early term fees if you drop the cable and just stick with the Internet?

I m bout to hop on PS Vue but I got 9 months left on my TV/Internet bundle from Fios which is overpriced. Wondering if i should just stick it out or just pay whatever fees may come.

Sling lookin' complicated to understand what you get but I can't look on the website itself since I'm on my work computer so I'll check it out more tonight. Might end up paying $5 more with Sling just to make sure I'm getting the same channels but the ease of access will make it worth it

What's the website for this?
What's the website for this?

They don't have a website for a reason. Plus, I am in Toronto Canada and you would have to buy the box from their store which they have to program so you can get their signals (I paid $125 for Mag254 with wifi). There are tonne of stores selling this "gray" area service here all you gotta do is check kijiji. For everybody messaging me, please read this article.

https://torrentfreak.com/iptv-mass-piracy-thats-flying-largely-under-the-radar-161127/

Man i'd jump back to sling if they had Viceland. Still waiting to see what Hulu and youtube do.
It's the only channel I really have it for. With FIOS I'd have to add like a $40 package just for Viceland.

100% worth it for Desus & Mero.
laugh.gif

Can someone clear this up for me.

Thinking about cutting my cable and land line. Only keeping my internet thru Comcast. So what exactly do I need if I only have internet? A router? modem? Both?

Thinking about cutting my cable and land line. Only keeping my internet thru Comcast. So what exactly do I need if I only have internet? A router? modem? Both?
Router and modem... i mean if you already have internet you probably already have a modem/router. If you want cable, you can get sling or Vue tv. Just get a streaming device such as a roku or fire stick and you're good.

huh? you need to google an intro to streaming.

I was up all night researching so I kind of answered my own question.

Pretty much I just need to up my internet speeds which are terrible right now. Considering I'm gonna cancel my cable I'll need good speeds for streaming.

I was up all night researching so I kind of answered my own question.

Pretty much I just need to up my internet speeds which are terrible right now. Considering I'm gonna cancel my cable I'll need good speeds for streaming.

Yeah you gotta make sure it's the tip top internet speed or at worst two notches below if you live by yourself and or with your girl.

If it's a whole family yeah get the top

For peeps that still need an HD Antenna so you can watch local channels......use code SLING25 for extra 25% off:

http://www.rcaantennas.net/search/?sku=ANT1750Z#overview

Using the promo code SLING25, customers can get an additional 25% off an already discounted HDTV antenna – that brings the cost down to $37.49 (less than half of the original retail price!). Reception of broadcast station signals is dependent on your geographic location.

I just bought this, thanks.

I cut the cord about 1.5 months ago. I'm rocking with Roku and Sling ($20 + $15 hbo which I rarely watch). So far it's been fine, I really don't want much tv at all. My kids are happy with it so that's cool.

Not having CBS is brutal right now for bball. My wife needed abc for the bachelor lol but she dealt with the 1 week delay on the roku abc app.

I think once I get this Hd antenna I'll be good to go. I want to DVR that's the only downfall right now.

Anyone know if any of the streaming options have better pic quality than PS Vue?

I signed up for the trial, and after researching have come to find that they only broadcast in 720p.   This is a problem for my setup, because I just bought a 1080p projector and I think 720p is just too low of resolution for how large of a screen I have (over 100").  I can see blurriness / artifacts, such as watching the NCAA bball games yesterday on the CBS channel. 

Kind of disappointing, as I want to "cut the cord".   I already have Comcast internet (25mb/s + HBO for $60/mo).  I'm thinking I might just end up going with Comcast Double-Play, which gives me 140 channels + 100mb/s internet, for $90ish a month.  

Vue on PS3 was choppy as hell, taking full 3+ seconds to load the guide at some points.  Used the PS Vue app on my phone + Chromecast, and it was better (way less choppy), but still not as "crisp" as other sources.  HBO Go app episode of GoT was much clearer than anything on PS Vue.  Same for YouTube videos.  

Last edited:

Anyone know if any of the streaming options have better pic quality than PS Vue?

I signed up for the trial, and after researching have come to find that they only broadcast in 720p.   This is a problem for my setup, because I just bought a 1080p projector and I think 720p is just too low of resolution for how large of a screen I have (over 100").  I can see blurriness / artifacts, such as watching the NCAA bball games yesterday on the CBS channel. 

Kind of disappointing, as I want to "cut the cord".   I already have Comcast internet (25mb/s + HBO for $60/mo).  I'm thinking I might just end up going with Comcast Double-Play, which gives me 140 channels + 100mb/s internet, for $90ish a month.  

Vue on PS3 was choppy as hell, taking full 3+ seconds to load the guide at some points.  Used the PS Vue app on my phone + Chromecast, and it was better (way less choppy), but still not as "crisp" as other sources.  HBO Go app episode of GoT was much clearer than anything on PS Vue.  Same for YouTube videos.  
Yeah if you're watching/streaming on that big of a screen definitely invest in cable. 

Yeah if you're watching/streaming on that big of a screen definitely invest in cable. 
What is weird, is that I have found other sources of people using Projectors with Vue, and it looks much better.  

This guy, for example, is projecting onto a 100" screen with the same exact projector as I have: 

He is using an AppleTV though, which I think is better than what the PS3/Chromecast can stream. 

So after stealing internet for the past six months I finally had enough of my Halo games dropping out and crappy quality streaming on Kodi and netflix

went on down to Comcast and paid my old $250 bill and signed a contract for 300mbs down at $70 a month including the modem.

I already have a HD antenna so im happy to be back to HD internet viewing

My homegirl hooked me up with an old apple tv and iphone.

Reddit has the NBA streaming game on lock.

And with the great room feature
pimp.gif

So after stealing internet for the past six months I finally had enough of my Halo games dropping out and crappy quality streaming on Kodi and netflix

went on down to Comcast and paid my old $250 bill and signed a contract for 300mbs down at $70 a month including the modem.

I already have a HD antenna so im happy to be back to HD internet viewing

I would suggest buying your own personal modem and router to truly get your 300mbps. Usually, the Comcast modem is really crappy. There are even 2-in1 modem/router combos at Best Buy.

Back
Top Bottom