NT, convince me "cutting the cord" is a good idea

I would suggest buying your own personal modem and router to truly get your 300mbps. Usually, the Comcast modem is really crappy. There are even 2-in1 modem/router combos at Best Buy.

Thanks man, yeah I did a speed test on wifi and was getting like 50 down, but chucked it up to it being wifi and not directly connected....The modem from comcast to rent is like $10 a month, so what are the prices to buy a good modem/router?

Is there one that you would recommend?

Lil off topic but hopefully y'all aren't renting modems/routers from the cable companies. Such a waste and cuts into lowering your bill.

I seen what cox was offering and I googled it and hit up Amazon/eBay. Opted for seperate router and modem, tried the netgear 2n1 and wasn't feeling it. Speed was way off. Went with a Belkin.

Last edited:

I would suggest buying your own personal modem and router to truly get your 300mbps. Usually, the Comcast modem is really crappy. There are even 2-in1 modem/router combos at Best Buy.
Thanks man, yeah I did a speed test on wifi and was getting like 50 down, but chucked it up to it being wifi and not directly connected....The modem from comcast to rent is like $10 a month, so what are the prices to buy a good modem/router?

Very interested in this as well. I have the Spectrum modem/router combo but would like to purchase my own to get rid of the equipment rental fee.

Lil off topic but hopefully y'all aren't renting modems/routers from the cable companies. Such a waste and cuts into lowering your bill.

I seen what cox was offering and I googled it and hit up Amazon/eBay. Opted for seperate router and modem, tried the netgear 2n1 and wasn't feeling it. Speed was way off. Went with a Belkin.

Absolutely right bro. I'll look into the one you mentioned, thanks.

Router I have: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/netgear...ith-dst-adapter-black/9241038.p?skuId=9241038

Modem I have: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/netgear-docsis-3-0-cable-modem-black/4562300.p?skuId=4562300

Really, anything other than what your ISP gives you will be 10x better.

The saying is true as well in "you get what you pay for" but I think a middle-of-the-pack router and modem will be more than enough.

Although you are paying money upfront, you will be getting back that money in the long run. You can always use that modem and router if you switch services or move and most cable companies charge a fee of usually $10-15-month and that adds up QUICKLY.

Last edited:
Is there a cable I can plug into my TV and my MacBook? Or one I can plug into my TV and my iPhone?

Thanks, can't stream a show on airplay, it's choppy. I need a cable.

stay far away from 2in1 modem/ router combos

they have historically had issues

and the standards for each dont age at the same rate

also, your internet service provider should have a list online of approved modems. getting a modem not on that list could cause problems.

Last edited:
I am using a modem/router combo right now, will be switching to a standalone router that is a little stronger soon 

I am using a modem/router combo right now, will be switching to a standalone router that is a little stronger soon 
good for you.

doesnt change what i said.
wait what? I am in agreement with your point 
laugh.gif

Netgear Nighthawk R6700 AC1750 Smart Dual Band WiFi Router $66.40

Amazon product ASIN B00R2AZLD2
This is a great router for a good price

Amazon.com has (as a Lightning Deal) Netgear Nighthawk R6700 AC1750 Smart Dual Band WiFi Router for $66.39 after 'clipped' $20 off coupon (clipped automatically through link when logged in to Amazon).

Damn, almost copped this for the fam yesterday at 111 minus the 20%. This is a great price. Copped a nighthawk x4s the other day for myself.

Netgear Nighthawk R6700 AC1750 Smart Dual Band WiFi Router $66.40

Amazon product ASIN B00R2AZLD2
This is a great router for a good price

Amazon.com has (as a Lightning Deal) Netgear Nighthawk R6700 AC1750 Smart Dual Band WiFi Router for $66.39 after 'clipped' $20 off coupon (clipped automatically through link when logged in to Amazon).
**** it, I am ordering one now. 

aaaaaaaaand it has been 100% claimed, i had to go on a waitlist 
mean.gif

Last edited:
Last edited:
Xfinity bill crept up on me when Viceland got moved into the higher priced channel lineup. Had to ditch that, but I def can't miss weed week.

Is Sling the best/cheapest option to watch Viceland? Does Sling stream in 4K?

Last edited:
Xfinity bill crept up on me when Viceland got moved into the higher priced channel lineup. Had to ditch that, but I def can't miss weed week.

Is Sling the best/cheapest option to watch Viceland? Does Sling stream in 4K?
Don't think Sling streams 4k yet my brotha

Back
Top Bottom