NT, convince me "cutting the cord" is a good idea

Finally cut the cord. Got a fire stick and dumb fast internet. Wish I did it sooner. This thing is ridiculous with the build I put on it.

i have comcast xfinity and cable on two tvs.

i have a third tv that i want to start using. is it possible to use roku with some sort of comcast acct? not going to be doing much with this television, maybe some espn, netflix, hulu. what's the best device? how well is the quality on their streams?

Last edited:

i have a third tv that i want to start using. is it possible to use roku with some sort of comcast acct? not going to be doing much with this television, maybe some espn, netflix, hulu. what's the best device? how well is the quality on their streams?
Yeah you can download the watch espn app and just about every other cable channel app. Just input your comcast info and you're good to go. 

I have Roku and Fire stick and both do well.

Yo somebody put me on to the stick situation? What's a good software for it? Can i watch live tv and PPV events?

Every build I put on my firestick is trash. What are y'all using? Pm if necessary
I just pay out of pocket for apps. **** is cheap. I basically finesse sling and have their orange packet for 3 weeks out of the month with extra sports channels ($50 value) and then switch to the $20 package the last week of the billing period and they only charge me $20 everytime.

Then I come out of pocket for hulu and netflix. Cable, streaming services and internet run only about $80-90 bucks for me a month. I have 300 mb/s internet too.

Yeah you can download the watch espn app and just about every other cable channel app. Just input your comcast info and you're good to go. 

thanks, so i dont have to pay extra since comcast is up in my pockets already :lol:
but if i did decide to cancel cable, the channels cost extra or would not be available?

how's the streaming quality on it? is it HD quality or depends on internet connection

Last edited:

thanks, so i dont have to pay extra since comcast is up in my pockets already
laugh.gif

but if i did decide to cancel cable, the channels cost extra or would not be available?

how's the streaming quality on it? is it HD quality or depends on internet connection
Very good questions.

No extra cost if you already have comcast cable service. If you cancelled cable, you would have to invest in sling tv or get a jailbroken fire stick.

Streaming quality is good but really just depends on your internet connection and how many other devices are connected to your network

http://www.cnbc.com/2017/02/28/youtube-announces-skinny-tv-bundle-.html

YouTube announces cable-free TV subscription service
Michelle Castillo | @mishcastillo
2 Hours AgoCNBC.com
SHARES

Susan Wojcicki, chief executive officer of YouTube.
YouTube unveils skinny bundle called 'YouTubeTV'
1 Hour Ago | 02:37

YouTube is giving viewers a way to tune in live to their favorite shows, without a cable or satellite subscription.

The company announced a live and on-demand streaming TV service called "YouTubeTV" on Tuesday. The subscription, which will cost $35 a month for a family plan of up to six accounts, is expected to launch in the next few months in the U.S. Currently there are no plans for international service.

Subscribers will have access to up to 40 networks, as well as YouTube creator content like original content from subscription service YouTube Red. Channels include all broadcast channels and cable channels like USA, FX, Freeform, ESPN, Fox Sports and NBC Sports. Users can add Showtime and soccer programming for an additional fee.

"There's no question that millennials love great TV content, but what we've seen is they don't want to watch it in the traditional setting," said YouTube CEO Susan Wojcicki at a press event.

The over-the-top service will let people wach on any device. Users can also record as many programs as they want. Some content with restrictions, like NFL games, may be blocked on mobile but will be available on TV and on desktop.

People will be able to stream to their TVs using Chromecast when the service launches, with additional devices to be added in the future. In addition, Google Home and Google Cast will allow people to speak to their TVs to control their TV experience in the near future. (The voice search functions failed during the demo on Tuesday, proving more work needs to be done.)

Google and its network partners will have the ability to sell ads for an additional revenue stream.

The news comes at a time when more Americans are open to cutting the cord. A study from research firm GfK said a quarter of American homes don't subscribe to a pay TV service, with 6 percent only using the internet to watch their favorite shows on a TV using a device like Apple TV or Roku. A recent U.S Energy Information Administration survey shows 2.3 televisions were used in American homes in 2015, down from an average of 2.6 televisions per household in 2009. The number of homes with three or more TVs declined, while the number of homes without a TV grew.

Google will have competition in the space. Hulu is planning is own over-the-top service this year, with CBS, Fox and Disney -- including ESPN -- among the networks which have signed on.

Note: Hulu is partially owned by NBCUniversal, which is the parent company of CNBC.

YouTube TV looks like it's the best option of the streaming services with that sports line-up. :nerd:

YouTube making it competitive. This what we need so sling and all these other companies start slashing prices

They had me at ESPN, for $35 a month sign me up Google
@AZwildcats  what if i told you that Sling basic at 19.99 a month already has espn, espn2, and espnews.....then for $5.00 extra ($25.00 total) you get pac 12, NBATV, and a bunch of beinsports and fox sports channels...all in HD.

Last edited:
I'm cheap as hell and the only programming I'd need this for would be live sports. Even $35 is still too much for me so the only way I'd buy into one of these streaming services would be if I had roommates to split the cost. If I'm only paying $10-15 then yeah it'd be worth it 

With live sport streams, there is always that short delay (like with Watch ESPN) compared to the cable feed so that sucks

Last edited:
DirectvNow just hit me with free HBO for a year, if you have the service check your emails. 100+ channels plus HBO for 35 bucks is a steal. Not the best service, but i'm sticking with it for now.

Last edited:

They had me at ESPN, for $35 a month sign me up Google
@AZwildcats  what if i told you that Sling basic at 19.99 a month already has espn, espn2, and espnews.....then for $5.00 extra ($25.00 total) you get pac 12, NBATV, and a bunch of beinsports and fox sports channels...all in HD.
That is a great deal too, I am glad we as consumers are getting better choices. Sling might just be the way to go

I pay that same $35 for PlayStation Vue, and I must say, I've been thoroughly impressed thus far.... Vue is just :smokin , particularly when compared to cable...id recommend it to anyone with a PlayStation.

For those who have tried Vue, how does it compare to the other services like the direct tv streaming or sling?

When Vue did away with the Viacom channels they lost me. Not a heavy watcher of those channels but they do have programs I'll tune in to watch occasionally.

Other than that it would've been gold no doubt!

DirectvNow just hit me with free HBO for a year, if you have the service check your emails. 100+ channels plus HBO for 35 bucks is a steal. Not the best service, but i'm sticking with it for now.
Just got the same email today, barely watch cable tho, might move to Sling once/if NOW changes prices

I think my MiBox just gave me a free month or so of SlingTV. Didn't pay much attention to the pop-up

Back
Top Bottom