NT is Slumdog Millionaire really that damn good?

Originally Posted by Proshares

Outside of the mandatory dancing scene at the end I thought it was an entertaining movie.

But I was shocked when I heard it won best picture.
I think it was better than The Departed. And come on, Best Picture isn't the be all and end all of movies. They get it wrong plenty.

Like I said earlier, this is just a regular Bollywood film that was successful in America. I find it very disturbing that the wealthy here are fascinated bypoverty (the Academy).

Originally Posted by swyftdahoe

Originally Posted by Proshares

Outside of the mandatory dancing scene at the end I thought it was an entertaining movie.

But I was shocked when I heard it won best picture.
I think it was better than The Departed. And come on, Best Picture isn't the be all and end all of movies. They get it wrong plenty.

Yea I get what you're saying but still IMO Benjamin Button should have won it. Not to take anything away from Slumdog, like I said it was a veryentertaining movie to me. I don't know about it being better than The Departed but that's a different story for a different day
laugh.gif

compared to the crap that hollywood has made (or should I say remade) the last couple of years this movie was great.

great movie, but should NEVER have won best picture or like 18 academy awards.

I left the theater pleasantly surprised. But it was NOT the best movie of last year.

I liked the wrestler, milk, and even benjamin button better. I just thought there were some damn corny parts

but it is DEFINITELY worth checking out. It's a great movie, but it is becoming extreemly overrated

It just didn't have a lasting affect on me. I'm not in a rush to see it again. But don't get me wrong it is a very good movie just not the greatestthing since sliced bread

I was wondering if it was a good movie, I missed it in the theatres and was wondering whether i should check it our on DVD.
Good thread.

Originally Posted by RellNye

Like I said earlier, this is just a regular Bollywood film that was successful in America. I find it very disturbing that the wealthy here are fascinated by poverty (the Academy).

It wasn't a Bollywood film. It was a Hollywood movie with Indian actors. Foxlight Films was the distributor. The director is the guy who did Trainspottingand other popular movies.

Originally Posted by SpringfieldXD

what i don't get is whats up with the dancing and stuff at the end?

that messed up the movie, IMO.. ol' Cupid Shuffle at the end of the movie...

It was a shout out to Bollywood.

Most Bollywood films have a musical score/dance incorporated in their films.

I think that it was pretty good but it did win a lot of awards. Not as good as City of God though. Buy that before you buy Slumdog

I dont think it was better than the Departed but that may speak more to the type of movies I like. It's def. worth owning imo...but again, that may dependon the type of movies you like and what type of movies you consider worth buying. Rewatchability of a movie like Slumdog will probably depend on yourindividual taste in movies. it's a great movie though...def worth at least a rental.

I don't think this is better than the departed. The departed is far from perfect but has MUCH more replay value

and city of god is TWICE as good as slumdog. I mean it's twice as good as MOST movies

Originally Posted by AirAsianJordan

Originally Posted by Ghenges

Originally Posted by ItWasTyped

Originally Posted by AirAsianJordan

Originally Posted by Curious24

Originally Posted by Fade On You

Overrated.

these are the stupid f'n posts that really bother me....Explain how its overated...do you guys know how hard it is to make a movie like this? They had a budget of like 30 million dollars. They used random #%* kids from the street...instead of giving the director compliments we go out of our way to say a movie is "overated" when in fact alot of ppl like the OP still havnt seen it.

Chill-out. Yea yea budget yea yea kids yea yea whatever. Stop acting like a junior high school girl who woke up with a zit the day before the spring formal because someone doesn't like a movie you like.

what are you talking about? this is what they really do in real life. they take little kids and do experiments with them. the kids really live like that and have to make a living on thier own. the killings that they have (where to mother dies) happens all the time because there is a war between the different religions.

IMO i think the movie deserves whatever it got because it shows how things REALLY happen in india TODAY.

So if I build a computer out of toothpicks, paperclips and a battery and I'm able to post on NikeTalk...does that mean every post I make is certified gold? No.
lolwut?

Jai Ho.

are you trying to compare different scenarios. because it aint working.
all im saying, is that the producers made so much money off of this movie, and they didnt even pay the kids a good amount. maybe like 10 (american dollars would be good)

come on now, its like telling some kids to bring you 20 million bucks, with oscars, and what not and pay them 2 bucks each

What does them underpaying the kids have to do with the movie being good?

If the movie sucked and the kids were under-paid, it would still be an unjustice to them. Same thing if the movie was a masterpiece.

Bottom line: Don't think the movie is great JUST BECAUSE you think the kids were under-paid.

very interesting and intricate movie. very good imo, giving it the 'best picture' award may be a stretch; but it's definitely worth seeing.

Me and my girl got it from a Redbox last week. It's insanely overrated, but it's still good. It's definitely worthwatching.

I just watched it yesterday and thought it was a very good movie. I'm still a little confused on some of the parts. How did he end up on the millionaireshow and what did the end where it said "it was written" meant?

Originally Posted by Fundamental21Ticket

I just watched it yesterday and thought it was a very good movie. I'm still a little confused on some of the parts. How did he end up on the millionaire show and what did the end where it said "it was written" meant?

"It was written" like in his destiny.
Watched it for the first time a few days ago and I think it's pretty overrated. I mean it's good and all but not best picture good.

Latika looks gorgeous though
devil.gif

overrated cause the ending sucked. the movie seemed more like a disney film because everything worked out in the end and they lived happily ever after.

Back
Top Bottom