NT MYTHBUSTERS: Washington Heights: Is it the place to be?

Mythbusters_logo.jpg

I keep hearing that Washington Heights is the place to be in New York City here on NT. As a native New Yorker (some NYers would agree) , for all of my out of towners, don't believe the hype. Don't believe dudes here when they tell their fables of Washington Heights as a land full of %#%*, clothing/sneaker spots, "exotic" cars (Acuras, Hyundai's, Toyota's) and haze. Dudes making it seem like everyone from NY goes to the Heights to fulfill a rite of passage. Washington Heights is a dump and will continue to be a dump. According to a certain NTer, this is one of the reasons that people from the each corner of the five boroughs makes that trip to 181st St.:

2i8x75i.jpg

The local gear spot:
625.x600.ft.WashingtonHeig-002.jpg

I guarantee you this is not a chick. Washington Heights and Uptown in general, is full of "women" like this. Sure, Washington Heights is popping if you like grandmothers in their 20s and hair salons that act as fronts for the local drug dealers. Sure some people would like it when the neighborhood resembles a place their all too familiar with. I mean the neighborhood is cramped, cluttered and full of vermin.

So, NT, I'll leave it to you to decide whether or not if Washington Heights is the place to be is just a mere myth.

*All in fun of course.

over the years ninjahood done repped "da heightz" so hard I think everybody(including me) wanna see whats really good up there.

One of my boys from college used to live in the heights. He swore by it. Used to tell me how ill it was. I went to pick him up one time on the drive back up toschool.

Never setting foot in that place again.
laugh.gif

someone's a hater
laugh.gif

and you KNOW whereeva you that second pic is givin nuffin but propz to my hood..

[h1]Top 10 'hoods[/h1]

[h6]...with New York soul. We walked nearly every block of Manhattan to track 'em down. Let the debate begin.[/h6]

625.x600.ft.alphacity1.jpg

Photo: Beth Levendis

There's a passage in Jane Jacobs's The Death and Life of Great American Cities that makes Greenwich Village sound like Sesame Street. "I put out the garbage can…my little clang," the late urbanist wrote in 1961. "I watch the other rituals of morning; Mr. Halpert unlocking the laundry's handcart…Joe Cornacchia's son-in-law stacking out the empty crates from the delicatessen, the barber bringing out his sidewalk folding chair…" She goes on to describe the "ballet" that is her neighborhood, a ballet you recognize as "New York."

Yet that New York has been dying, if not decomposing, for years-at least in Manhattan.

Click here to read the rest of this introduction
  • Top 10 'hoods …with New York soul. We walked nearly every block of Manhattan to track 'em down. Let the debate begin.
  • #1: Alphabet City: Meet our winner-quick, before it changes.
  • #2: Chinatown: Lots of street life, low on chain stores and unchanged for years.
  • #3: Washington Heights: Bodegaville lives on, despite the white people.
  • #4: Inwood: What's friendlier, far north and cooler than Canada? These days, Manhattanites know the answer.
  • #5: Nolita & Little Italy: Manicotti and the Man, together at last.
  • #6: Hell's Kitchen: Leave your Mace at home. Bring your Chihuahua instead.
  • #7: East Village: Retirees and undergrad share these streets...with a surplus of banks.
  • #8: Lower East Side: It's practically druggie-free, except for those new caffeine addicts.
  • #9: East Harlem: It's sprouting new condos-and luring back former residents.
  • #10: Greenwich Village: Seediness remains firmly planted, despite the iPods.
  • Neighborhoods with soul: 11-15: Central Harlem is up and coming but not far enough for our top 10.
  • Neighborhoods with soul: 16-20: No, we didn't forget the Upper West Side. It's right here.
  • Neighborhoods with soul: 21-27: What is the most soulless locale on the island? Click to find out.
  • Jane Jacobs 101: A quick guide to this feisty urbanist's influential view on how cities should work.
  • Jane's addiction: New York's Municipal Art Society remembers the grand dame of urbanism whose ideas formed the basis of our rating criteria.
  • Soul survivors: You can't swing a cannoli in the outer boroughs without hitting neighborhood character. But will the outlook always be sunny for these unique enclaves? Here's our local forecast.

Time Out New York / Issue 625 : Sep 20-26, 2007

i see nothing wrong wit that 1st pic besides the fact that her thong n bra dont match
laugh.gif

The Heightz is poppin. From the bridge to Dyckman.

Got a vibe like nowhere else in the city.

Best females in a small spot, best weed in the city, best prices on them things, most community oriented, nice view of the water...cool spot.

Whats that one real hick supermarket y'all got out there...with the mud type floor, s_ hanging from the ceiling and the live chicken walking around thespot?

they defintely have fun there but i think its overrated just a tad. its become legend as of late

I guarantee you this is not a chick. Washington Heights and Uptown in general, is full of "women" like this. Sure, Washington Heights is popping if you like grandmothers in their 20s and hair salons that act as fronts for the local drug dealers. Sure some people would like it when the neighborhood resembles a place their all too familiar with. I mean the neighborhood is cramped, cluttered and full of vermin.
eek.gif
laugh.gif
roll.gif
son said vermin...

Realtalk Ninjahood got us thinking this place is Dubai/Atlantis/Vegas/Mall of America all rolled into one.

he went in
roll.gif

and the only thing wrong with the first pic is that its in washington heights where !%%*%! on here will claim every dominican there got a fat #%@, but straightup cardboard booties is what i see

Originally Posted by NewZ05

i see nothing wrong wit that 1st pic besides the fact that her thong n bra dont match
laugh.gif
let's put that pic in perspective...that thirsty hick did that for 2 reasons attention...not just any attention, but attention to da fact thatthere is SO MANY fly chicks out there she outta

come outta pocket..and in this case out her pants to be noticed among da ocean of sexy slorez my hood has to offer.

let's about talk about da fact that my hood is NO WHERE NEAR americanized.....you can live in da heightz for 20 years and never need to utter a word ofenglish if you didn't want to.

let's also talk about da great prices for food, clothes, haze, entertainment...we got some of da best restaurants that compete VS downtown in terms ofquality for PENNIES on da dollars.

get your self some fine steak at EL conde...see some fly sexi video vixen quality garden tools coming out La Casa De Mofongo...

there's no beef anywhere in da heightz, unless you look for it cuz everyone is chill grindin gettin money.

yup..my hood is good money.
pimp.gif

i get a headache trying to comprehend anything Ninjahood types

You know what, no Shakespeare or nothing like that, but you gotta love Ninjahood...
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

You gotta give it to dude 'cause he is the definition of PRIDE...keep doing you fam...got my respect--if it means anything to you that is...

14ald8p.jpg

Originally Posted by TruthGetsBusy

eek.gif
laugh.gif
roll.gif
son said vermin...
Realtalk Ninjahood got us thinking this place is Dubai/Atlantis/Vegas/Mall of America all rolled into one.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

best part of the hood is getting what you want and leaving
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

haircut, girls, nuttys, nemo, Ps, gear, kicks... and coming to a HUGE house too residential for google streets ftw
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

laugh.gif
I've lived here off and on for the majority of my life, and I love it here. 193rd St stand up.

Originally Posted by Lrrr

i get a headache trying to comprehend anything Ninjahood types
laugh.gif
it wasnt that bad this time...

let's put that pic in perspective...that thirsty hick did that for 2 reasons attention...not just any attention, but attention to da fact that there is SO MANY fly chicks out there she outta

come outta pocket..and in this case out her pants to be noticed among da ocean of sexy slorez my hood has to offer.

let's about talk about da fact that my hood is NO WHERE NEAR americanized.....you can live in da heightz for 20 years and never need to utter a word of english if you didn't want to.

let's also talk about da great prices for food, clothes, haze, entertainment...we got some of da best restaurants that compete VS downtown in terms of quality for PENNIES on da dollars.

get your self some fine steak at EL conde...see some fly sexi video vixen quality garden tools coming out La Casa De Mofongo...

there's no beef anywhere in da heightz, unless you look for it cuz everyone is chill grindin gettin money.

yup..my hood is good money.
pimp.gif

dude loves his hood.

laugh.gif
It is funny how a lot of families are like sardines in a can. There's a lot of dudes got that a ton of sneakers, fitteds, jewlery etc, yet still athome, sharing a bedroom with their cousin and lil' brother, while not trying better their situation. Thank God I don't have that problem. I can chillin my room, while I look at New Jersey, the G.W. Bridge, and the Hudson River.
pimp.gif

I bet there's a couple of fine Dominican dudes walking around there...sounds like a good place to be
devil.gif

Originally Posted by KingJay718

laugh.gif
It is funny how a lot of families are like sardines in a can. There's a lot of dudes got that a ton of sneakers, fitteds, jewlery etc, yet still at home, sharing a bedroom with their cousin and lil' brother, while not trying better their situation. Thank God I don't have that problem. I can chill in my room, while I look at New Jersey, the G.W. Bridge, and the Hudson River.
pimp.gif
nerd.gif
nerd.gif
nerd.gif

someone's a hater
laugh.gif

As NTs resident hater, I have to disagree with you there.

Son, you posted a list of "hoods" in Manhattan not NYC; argument not valid.

you can live in da heightz for 20 years and never need to utter a word of english if you didn't want to.
That's something to brag about?

Sure about that? Washington Heights moves the most drugs out of any neighborhood in NYC. Beef comes along with that.

see some fly sexi video vixen quality garden tools coming out La Casa De Mofongo...
Let's not forget that over 24% of the population of Washington Heights (200,000+) has HIV.

Back
Top Bottom