NT, school me on traveling to/in Europe!!!

-How much time will I be traveling from city to city? The trip will be England>France>Switzerland

It all depends on what mode of transportation you end up taking. Like someone mentioned above, the Eurostar is probably the most convenient for London to Paris, because there are no airports in central London. If you wanted to take a flight, you probably would end up booking on Ryanair.com or Easyjet.com, (the Southwest airline types of Europe) so in London you would fly out of Gatwick, Luton, or Stansted, and its a little more tedious, cause you have to consider the 45min-1hr shuttle (Easybus.co.uk) as well. The thing is, if you kinda just shadow those websites, you can find really cheap deals on flights, so there's a high chance the flight could be a steal over Eurostar. Not sure about the Eurostar, but flight-wise, it should take you about 5 hrs. including the walk to the shuttle-pick up location, the hour shuttle ride, waiting in customs lines, and the flight. I always booked early morning flights also, get to the destination city with the whole day ahead of you.

-How much will we expect to spend on room and board?

I always stayed in hostels. They are the cheapest and the realest when it comes to getting to know the country. Most of them are kinda dirty, but the people who run them (usually people in their late 20's early 30's) will almost always tell you where to get the best food, best nightclubs, and how to get further with your money. Also, you'll meet a lot of interesting travelers staying in the hostel who pretty much are there for the same reasons you are. Way cheaper than hotels and a lot more fun. 40-50 euros, id say per trip.

I think one of the bigger considerations you have to think about is your luggage size. I studied abroad in London, so whenever I traveled, I only brought a backpack which worked out with flights cause they are really strict about the one carry-on item per flight, and since the cheapest and best modes of transportation are subways, trains, buses, hauling around a heavy suitcase can be a Sh*(% experience trying to hop on and off with all the crowds and fast-paced walking, and hostels because I would just empty my clothes in the hostel, and carry my valuables with me when I went out (they have lockers but some are kinda small).

I recently got back from a 3 month stay. Your budget is going to be as expensive as your tastes.

For travel I say forget Eurorail, seriously. Easyjet is going to be much much much cheaper. EDIT they only allow carry-on though...

People are right when they recommend hostels, just make sure you choose the right one. Go to hostelworld.com but don't choose any hostel with less than a 90% rating.

Food can be really cheap, if you don't mind eating bread for 1-2 meals a day. It's not like bread in America though, so you'll be in good hands if you do that. Also wine can be cheaper than water, so heads up for that.

However the bottom line is the pound, the euro, and the swiss franc are all stronger than the dollar.

I recently got back from a 3 month stay. Your budget is going to be as expensive as your tastes.

For travel I say forget Eurorail, seriously. Easyjet is going to be much much much cheaper. EDIT they only allow carry-on though...

People are right when they recommend hostels, just make sure you choose the right one. Go to hostelworld.com but don't choose any hostel with less than a 90% rating.

Food can be really cheap, if you don't mind eating bread for 1-2 meals a day. It's not like bread in America though, so you'll be in good hands if you do that. Also wine can be cheaper than water, so heads up for that.

However the bottom line is the pound, the euro, and the swiss franc are all stronger than the dollar.

My friends and I are expecting to spend $2,000 per person on this trip. We also decided on staying at hostels while we're there. In terms of our "Tastes". We're not all into lavish living I suppose. We just want to experience Europe and have a good time.

We still don't know what our mode of transportation will look like. We're still discussing possibilities between the train or flying from country to country.

My friends and I are expecting to spend $2,000 per person on this trip. We also decided on staying at hostels while we're there. In terms of our "Tastes". We're not all into lavish living I suppose. We just want to experience Europe and have a good time.

We still don't know what our mode of transportation will look like. We're still discussing possibilities between the train or flying from country to country.

unless you guys are unbelievably frugal, 2k per person will not last you 4 nights a piece in the places you named.

unless you guys are unbelievably frugal, 2k per person will not last you 4 nights a piece in the places you named.

Originally Posted by nycknicks105

Ok, so me and few buddies of mine will be going to Europe during the winter for two weeks. We've selected the 3 countries that we'll be visiting. We've decided on visiting England, France and Switzerland.

My questions are
-How much money will I be expected to spend? We will spend 4 days in each city.
-How much time will I be traveling from city to city? The trip will be England>France>Switzerland
-How much will it cost to travel from each city?
-What mode of transportation is the best/cheapest/fastest?
-How much money will we expect to spend on food?

What are some places to visit while we're in each country?

My friends are saying we'll be expected to pay up to $2,000 for the entire trip. I'm thinking more along the lines of $3,000-4,000.

USe this site OP very useful and helpful.

Originally Posted by nycknicks105

Ok, so me and few buddies of mine will be going to Europe during the winter for two weeks. We've selected the 3 countries that we'll be visiting. We've decided on visiting England, France and Switzerland.

My questions are
-How much money will I be expected to spend? We will spend 4 days in each city.
-How much will it cost to travel from each city?
-What mode of transportation is the best/cheapest/fastest?
-How much money will we expect to spend on food?

What are some places to visit while we're in each country?

My friends are saying we'll be expected to pay up to $2,000 for the entire trip. I'm thinking more along the lines of $3,000-4,000.

USe this site OP very useful and helpful.

If I were you I'd pick 1 city, stay for a week and enjoy the heck out of it.

Skimping by on 2k for 2 weeks and trying to do 3 cities just seems like it's too much to do with a limited budget.

It's better to stay in 1 city, sleep comfortably and eat well for 1 week rather than commuting from city to city, eating scraps and sleeping in dirty hostels for 2 weeks. That's just my opinion though.

If I were you I'd pick 1 city, stay for a week and enjoy the heck out of it.

Skimping by on 2k for 2 weeks and trying to do 3 cities just seems like it's too much to do with a limited budget.

It's better to stay in 1 city, sleep comfortably and eat well for 1 week rather than commuting from city to city, eating scraps and sleeping in dirty hostels for 2 weeks. That's just my opinion though.

Back
Top Bottom