NT, What Are You Reading? Vol. 2010

Originally Posted by JTPlatnum

Eating Animals - Jonathan Safran Foer
What'd you think? Another book on the same chord, but opposing viewpoint is "The Vegetarian Myth". I plan on taking a look at both within the next few months.
Just started:

Mastery of Hand Strength by John Brookfield

Stretching Scientifically by Thomas Kurz

Originally Posted by Eff Ecks

the_autobiography_of_malcolm_x.png
One of my favorite books
pimp.gif

I'm currently reading

9780752881607.jpg

Got the series for Christmas. I enjoyed the first two.

I just finished Apathy and Other Small Victories by Paul Neilan. Funniest book I've ever read, easy. The story isn't as well-off, but I still loved it.
Like many a hip young literary antihero these days, the protagonist ofthis hilarious if aimless debut is sunk in slacker anomie. Shane has amonotonous temp job at an insurance agency, where he is supposed toalphabetize paperwork but instead spends his time sleeping on thetoilet. After work, he is besieged by a gallery of grotesques: a vapidgirlfriend who sexually brutalizes him; an absurdly macho neighbor witha leather-clad guinea pig for a sex slave; and his dentist's deafassistant, who sings atonal karaoke, teaches him to sign obscenitiesand furnishes a wispy narrative thread by getting murdered. In a worldboth banal and assaultive, Shane can only drink, steal salt shakers andcultivate his sense of irony; "[t]here's only so much you can do," heshrugs, "and even that's not worth the trouble." Shane's malaisedoesn't feel earned; job aside, there are just too many gonzogoings-on—the landlord, for instance, is paying him to have sex withhis wife—for him to feel so listless. There's not much to Shane besidesa defiant dejectedness, but from that Neilan spins many sparkling comicriffs on the tawdriness and sterility of American life.
I'm about halfway through Franny and Zooey, which I started about four months ago. I also have Devil in the White City, The Art of Non-Conformity and Writing Tools (I skim through that) on deck. I'm such a moody reader. 
laugh.gif

Just finished Freakonomics.  
58825c1ea270a803fe45008c7838ab3e1e27f17.jpg

Definitely gonna have me thinking twice about people's motives.

Off to do some re-reading.

20061222-winning-with-people.jpg

The-33-Strategies-of-War-307601.jpg

Originally Posted by Sneaky

People that have read american psycho and seen the movie, is the book better or any different? Ive seen the movie.

The book is a lot more detailed and better.

Im also gonna pick this up soon. I suggest anyone whos into personal finance to check out his blog with the same name.
51uAqakiYdL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Parents bought me Oscar Wao for Christmas
pimp.gif

Reading The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest now, though. Really enjoyed the other two books in the series.

MatterhornCover.jpg

I'm just started reading this a couple of days ago. It's pretty good so far. 

Before this I read Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas (funny as ++#%) and The Sun Also Rises.

I got this up next...

9781590131626.jpg

I just started Treasure Island for the first time in years and am thoroughly enjoying it.

Originally Posted by jomitm

Malcolm Gladwell:

Outliers

Reading that for my sociology class. Not far enough into it to have an opinion yet.

Only 70 more pages until I finish Devil in the White City.

Originally Posted by TJ Detweiler

^I've read it
laugh.gif
Pretty interesting book.
I heard stories that the methods of the main character actually works in real life
nerd.gif
nerd.gif
nerd.gif

Sorta why i picked it up. Im curious to see wat its all about. I havent seen a bad review yet

im still on the kite runner, hope to finish it soon

prob picking up the alchemist next

=)

TheFacebookEffect.jpg

48889486.jpg

the-catcher-in-the-rye-cover.jpg

I recently finished Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell, Letter to a Christian Nation by Sam Harris, and The Alchemist.

Back
Top Bottom