NT, What Beer Do You Drink?

Pickups for a Tuesday. Not a bad haul.

I got a question for some of you. How do your significant others fell about this beer thing we do?
My wife has been nothing but supportive. She compared it to shoes the other day. Getting the newest releases, etc. I defended it by saying it is a hell of a lot cheaper and at least we get a buzz off beer. And she actually agreed.
I showed her the instagram pic of my local spot getting Pliny yetserday and she said "Are we going before or after dinner?" Love it.

-J-

Nice haul! My gf is cool with it. Shoes on the other hand, I get one of these from time to time :smh:

Anybody gearing up for Parabola? :evil:
Its name doesn't lie. If you've ever gnawed on grapefruit rinds, then you'll know what this beer tastes like. Not bad though.

Gonna swing by the local spot today looking for the parabola. They told me they held a sucaba for me but when i go tthere they said it was gone. :smh:

Just opened an enjoy by 4.20. Amazing. Better than the last batch.
Eager for this to hit the east coast.  Enjoy By never disappoints.

Oh..here's some reviews:

I'd been gunning for this beer for awhile.  After reading the reviews and seeing the hype surrounding it, this beer was put on my bucket list.  Luckily, @Chopper  was willing to work out a trade.  This beer pours pitch black with a motor oil consistency.  Easily one of the darkest heads I've ever seen on a beer.  Aroma on this beer caught me off guard.  A lot more cinnamon and spice than I expected there to be. The roasted characteristics are there, but the cinnamon and chiles dominate the aroma.  Taste on this one is similar, with the cinnamon taking center-stage.  It tasted like a syrupy, chocolate-covered, liquid cinnamon roll.  Probably the most decadent beer I've ever had.  In all honesty: it's a good thing I split the bottle with two other friends, because there's absolutely no way I could finish this beer by myself.  Hell, I'd probably have to give some away if I only split it with one other person.  Don't get me wrong; it's a really good beer...it's just something I can't drink a lot of.  If this came in 12 oz. bottles, I'd probably seek it out once a year. It was worth trying and I don't regret the trade, but I wouldn't go crazy searching for another bottle.  9.3/10

Next one I bought after hearing some good things about it. Knowing that Bear Republic makes some pretty good hoppy beers I figured it was worth giving a shot.  Pours a deep, translucent gold color with a hint of amber in there.  Somewhat soapy head that dissipates at a medium pace. Lots of citrus/tropical notes on the nose with a little breadiness in there.  Textbook west coast imperial IPA, so far.  Taste is where things get interesting.  You get the citrus and tropical notes, but you also get some floral notes with a decent amount of maltiness to boot.  This beer tastes like a mash-up between a west coast, midwest, and east coast IPA...and that's not a bad thing.  Very tasty, very drinkable.  I have a hard time finding a quality about this beer that I dislike, but at the same time nothing really makes it stand out either.  Just a really nice beer all around.  Would buy this more often if it was year-round and came in 4 packs.  9.5/10

Last one is a beer I've been meaning to try for awhile.  Found it the other day at a local beer distributor so I picked up a 4 pack.  This one pours a deep, deep amber color that settles to black in the glass.   Almost looks like a Guinness until you hold it up to the light and see the transparent amber notes around the edges.  Head is somewhat soapy and dissipates slowly.  Aroma on this isn't too appealing.  Some dark fruits (raisins, plums, prunes), a bready quality, and a generalized sweetness.  Not entirely thrilled by it.  Taste is similar.  A dark fruit-sweetness dominates with not much else to the flavor.  Almost like carbonated, alcoholic prune juice.  It's fairly drinkable for what it is, but that's about the only good thing I can say about it.  Comparing it to Schneider Weisse Tap 6 Unser Aventinus Doppelbock, Celebrator doesn't come close.  Won't be buying again.  8.0/10

Some beers on tap at our local beer stop.. changes daily.. Trying to get pics of the cooler..

Last edited:
My new Growler
Love the color but do any brewery's give you a hard time to fill? In CA it has to be blank or labeled with the exact brewery and beer it is filled with.

That is a Cali thing. I experienced the same when I went back home for a visit. They're sticklers for using own growlers. When I'm home (nc) or in SC or Bama there's never an issue with growler fills.

I've been keeping it low key the past few days.. My local college team blew it in the NCAA tourney. But it looks like Project Dank won their own national championship
http://www.brewingnews.com/nipac/
Has anyone been following this at all? All around the state of NY, I guess they had weekly events for IPAs and Double IPAs. A single elimination bracket challenge with judges.. Good for them..

After the loss, I headed over there for a few cold ones.. I forgot to untappd the entire sequence... I had an elevated IPA dry hopped with Sorachi Ace in a firkin style mini 'cask' Their weekly firkin is becoming a theme I am taking full advantage of... They also have a new session IPA... 4.5% ABV, 50 IBU... It was okay. I would still just rather drink less of their elevated. I also picked up a 3/12/14 dank bomber that I plan to share this evening, along side hop slam and two hearted ale... Those reviews to follow.

btw, nice growler there. Is it a custom? I doubt the University would allow a licensed "beer' carrier type device... I have some clear growlers that I was thinking about painting in some fashion... Would spray paint be okay? lol

CFord, I'm surprised you didn't like Celebrator... That's one of my favorites. Did you drink just one? I haven't had a bad Celebrator but you know how beer goes...

My new Growler
Love the color but do any brewery's give you a hard time to fill? In CA it has to be blank or labeled with the exact brewery and beer it is filled with.

That is a Cali thing. I experienced the same when I went back home for a visit. They're sticklers for using own growlers. When I'm home (nc) or in SC or Bama there's never an issue with growler fills.
Yeah never a problem. Breweries don't really care because they are still selling their beer..

Out here in cali it's a law. That's why I found it strange. If you take a growler with a different brewery logo, most of the time they'll just cover it with their own logo sticker.

Tonight's mini sampling.

I think it was comparison ford who mentioned a blind tasting. I did just that.

Two hearted wins out bigggg time

Both are kind of old. 1-16-14 hopslam vs. 1-29-14 two hearted. But not expired.

Two hearted still had a nice hop presence. Mellow tropical hops. I like this one over sculpin and blind pig. Maybe my favorite non la cumbre Ipa. Hop slam had diminished hop bitterness it seemed like. Very very malty. Quite drinkable. But forgettable. The Ipa category is filled with monsters that I may never buy a double Ipa again

Last edited:
Tonight's mini sampling.

I think it was comparison ford who mentioned a blind tasting. I did just that.

Two hearted wins out bigggg time

Both are kind of old. 1-16-14 hopslam vs. 1-29-14 two hearted. But not expired.

Two hearted still had a nice hop presence. Mellow tropical hops. I like this one over sculpin and blind pig. Maybe my favorite non la cumbre Ipa. Hop slam had diminished hop bitterness it seemed like. Very very malty. Quite drinkable. But forgettable. The Ipa category is filled with monsters that I may never buy a double Ipa again
Yep...that was me.

I did the same thing and had the same exact results.  Two Hearted blows Hopslam out of the water, in my opinion.  Very, very underrated beer.

I think a lot of the hype/hysteria over Hopslam is residual from years past.  About 4 years ago Hopslam was da god of double IPAs.  However, the world of craft beer has changed A LOT since then.  Dark Lord used to be the #1 beer on beeradvocate for the longest time.  Now it's #189.  There are so many good beers out there now.  At this point in time Hopslam is just another double IPA.  Don't get me wrong: if I can get my hands on a six pack next year I'm gonna buy it.  Not gonna scour the globe or pay exorbitant prices for it though.

Last edited:
Just came back from Palm Springs for a wedding. The Ace Hotel out there has great beers on tap.

This is Victory Dirt Wolf and Stone Enjoy By:

I picked up some enjoy by 4.20 bombers today. I'll be having one of those later today. But first things first. I had to give this latest Project Dank batch a try on its own.. I was very tempted to do a blind side by side.. That may still be a possibility at some point.
La Cumbre Project Dank (batch #5 or 6 by now. Bottle dated 3/12/14)

It's getting better and BETTER. More front end and back end bitterness than I remember from the last batch. A touch less tropical mangoness. But that's a good thing. Amazing carbonation and clarity. I'm tasting pine, lemony flavors, some grass, and in the middle of the drink some nice tropical sweetness. Not sure where that is coming from. I'm not getting any sense of that weird maltiness that I got out of a few DIPAs I received via trade... Maybe the travel hindered the flavors? 100/100 easily. I felt the last few batches had a malt heaviness that made them drink higher than 7.5%. Today this is about as light of an offering I have had. Today this is better than ELEVATED.

Back
Top Bottom