NT, What Beer Do You Drink?

Rounding out my Vermont trip

Long trail and harpoon. Typical all around solid options. Ipa and dipa options of the typical malt forward little aroma variety. Old school.

River Roost in White River Junction, VT. pretty much a one man operation. Maybe the gem of my trip right here.
IMG_3151.JPG

Glimpse, their 7.8% DIPA. Trillium level softness. So creamy. So aromatic.

They are only open three days out of the week and did only have 3 beers available. So keep thst in mind.

Stopped by Trillium after work today.
3 4pk of Adult Human
2 2pk of A St
And a pk of DDH Stillings.
20170810_221301.jpg

Adult Human is so juicy right now straight out the can:smokin
Very fresh beer since it was brewed and canned today!
15024177756641036901194.jpg

^^ Nice! Let me know how that M-43 is...had a dude offer me some in trade for Robot Librarian and I didn't take him up on it...

Perhaps my review is a little bit skewed, I had All Citra Everything by Other Half right before I tried M-43 but here goes.

Nose is all malt, just a little bit of citrus notes make it past the malt. Taste is smoothe but still has a hop bite on the back end. Slightly taste the alcohol. Mouthfeel is good, has a bit of a creamy texture but no where near Other half's. This beer is really good, much better than a lot of IPAs I've had, but it's not mind blowing.
IMG_6449.JPG

Happy I was able to grab a pack of soulbender today. Finally had both oops I mangoed my pants and nelsoned as well. Off to barrier brewing tomorrow, they have money and tanto cans to go which I am excited to try.

Attachments

• IMG_1063.JPG
    IMG_1063.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_1061.JPG
    IMG_1061.JPG
    995.7 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_1062.JPG
    IMG_1062.JPG
    594.4 KB · Views: 4
IMG_1066.JPG
IMG_1064.JPG
IMG_1065.JPG
Made it to barrier today. Picked up some tanto and money. At this point I'm going to need another suitcase to bring this stuff home lol.

Foam had their first can release yesterday. Missed it by 90 minutes. They had about 110 cases available. 1 case limit per person. Price was $18/4pk. Kind of pricey, but considering they sold out pretty quickly, at 10am on a FRIDAY mind you, the hype for these releases is too real. The one they released was just solid in my book. Plus I was only carrying on, so cans would have to be consumed or shipped. After 10 days of boozing, I'm all beer'd out. We'll see how long I can last.. It's wet hop season right now. So a lot of goodness coming soon. Lagunitas BY comes to mind.

I did hit up one more brewery in VT before heading home. Drop In Brewery, just south of Burlington.. More english styles but well done. There is room for everyone in VT it seems. With so much driving between these mountain towns, each town is set to have their own imho. There were more breweries who I felt like said, Screw trying to compete with alchemist, and went straight to brewing almost every other non IPA style, to style. There were more solid par for the course breweries than there were mind blowing (i think thats common everywhere).

Freshness does seem key so we will see how the area is doing when I return in a year or two. On my last few days, I was drinking anywhere from 10 day old heady, to 20 day old trillium/lawsons SOS and felt there was some let up already. I couldnt see them being tasty in another month or so (even though they claim it can last for awhile). I was grocery store and beer store watching too. Lots of older local IPAs. There will be a big change coming soon imho. Frost and Foley and 14th star come to mind as shelf sitters.

It was fun but I probably wouldnt do it again. In most major regions, local brews are catching up fast. So in some sense, the allure of VT breweries is wearing thin. But with some many people in the east, it was crazy to see how many people had coolers and were coming from 3-4 states away for some heady topper (let alone any other brewery doing releases). Cool to experience once but I wouldnt do it again. Same with Trillium. Great brews, but I am not waiting in line like I heard happen last week (vs me walking in and out in 20 seconds), or at Trillium beer garden, where lines can form with waits. There's places like River Roost or Upper Pass who are doing the hazy yeast riddled DIPAs so well with very little hype so far, that I feel every region soon enough will have their own Trillium. Foam is exploding. Soon, I feel Alchemist will be a third or fourth must see stop in the area.

Take the sheer concentration of solid breweries out, and I feel every region around is coming very close to what I experienced here. Easier said that done that all every region needs is a Trillium like brewery. Because beyond the haze, other regions are coming in hot.

IMG_6656.JPG
Just got home today after being in CT and Boston for the past week and I did a monster haul

Probably two and a half cases going to friends and a small trade...I have so much that I'll probably look to trade off some more of my stash soon

Last edited:
all beers where i got just a single can (Night Shift, Aeronaut, Common Roots, HF Dharma Bum, EvilTwin, spill the tea, both OH, TJ Hookers #No Filter)

keep 2-4 of everything else (all Trillium, TH, Omnipollo Noa Pecan Mud Cake, All Counterweight beers, Fuzzy Baby Ducks, Onmipollo Shpoing!)

crumps brother crumps brother Now that's a haul. I had to drink all of my haul. Ended up leaving about six beers. Saddest day of my life. I was just ipa'ed out.

Not directed at you but just in general. Pot and kettle is not trade worthy. It has the hype following and now top 3 in the English porter. Eureka and bright both getting modest for TH standard scores. Both are around my states top IPA. And for th, 10th or 11th on the list. Also don't think that's trade worthy necessarily. Alchemists Pappys porter is solid but not worth buying four pack of. People did so up to their limits though.

The hype out there was crazy. Lots of par for the course 4/5 rated beers getting that 0.25-0.50 bump. Glad to be back to where beer is just beer and ratings don't even really exist.

Comparison Ford Comparison Ford I saw your initial post on ba about Th. Overall do you think it was worth it? Beer quality alone I should say. The amusement park waiting in line segment has such a big allure for the people that my family member was with when they went, that they'd actually enjoyed the ipas. It becomes bigger than yourself. You can taste the hype. Other little places are catching up, like a river roost or upper cloud (von trapp is brewing their beer on a Production level. So you could say stowe has multiple IPA players now). So the wait truly has to be justified imho.

crumps brother crumps brother is it common for trillium beers to fall pretty quickly taste wise? Within a week, galaxy cutting tiles was tasting just okay. And farnsworth was holding up a bit more. But both shells of their former selves. Both were bought at 4-5 days old and consumed last at about 14 days old. Crazy to think a beer can fall flat thst fast.

Last edited:
Overall, I think the trip up to Tree House was totally worth it, especially if you plan on going Wednesday and Thursday. I was able to walk away with over a case of Tree House beers (13 Eureka with Galaxy, 11 Bright, and 8 Doppelganger). While I wasn't thrilled with some of the clientele/the general atmosphere of Wednesday's release (Thursday's was entirely more pleasant), I have nothing but good things to say about their new facility, their employees, their overall operations, and especially their beer. I went back on Wednesday evening when they announced that they were doing pours and got myself a pint of Green--absolutely incredible. After spending the day drinking all of the hyped Trillium collabs (Dial Up the Seven Digits, Two Hundred Thousand Trillion, Affogato), then drinking a can of Bright (which is an "inferior" Tree House beer by many peoples' standards), then drinking a pint of Green, it became very apparent that Tree House is really operating on a completely different wavelength. Every Trillium beer I purchased couldn't hold a candle to what I got from Tree House.

Speaking of Trillium: my trip up to their Canton facility was an eye-opener for me. While I loved the convenience of being able to purchase a ton of world-class IPAs with no wait and grab a couple pours of some of the most hyped beers in the country, I think I'm kind of "over" them from here on out. I've had the opportunity to drink a ton of Trillium over the past month and a half, and I haven't been particularly blown away by any of the beers I've had from them. Hell...this might be the New Yorker in me talking, but I think Other Half has surpassed them as far as IPAs go. I've been finding that just about all of the Trillium cans I've acquired have sediment/yeast goop at the bottom that makes the drinking experience less and less enjoyable with each and every sip. Don't get me wrong: they're still a very good brewery, but this is never a problem with Other Half beers and I'm finding that I enjoy a lot of the Other Half IPAs in my fridge a hell of a lot more than my Trillium cans.

Wally, haven't tried Pot & Kettle yet but I'm glad to have it because it's nice to have something that 1) I don't feel as obligated to drink asap and 2) break up the monotony of drinking hoppy beers

I got two 4 packs...my one buddy wanted a 4 pack to split with his wife and my other buddy said he would take two of each Trillium beer available, so that leaves me with two

Never had Treehouse until last week and I thought both were excellent...I knew Bright was being released but I didn't bother to check at all Wednesday if they updated the second beer...can't choose what they brew and can but I'm pleased with both and glad one was not an IPA

I haven't had any of the Trillium beers I got a second time yet so I can't speak on them falling off

IMG_1127.JPG
IMG_1126.JPG
Seems like I have to visit treehouse soon. Plan on going to magnify brewing and kane in October. Anchorage brewing darkest hour split with the wife tonight.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom