NT, What Beer Do You Drink?

Originally Posted by WallyHopp

digital022, let me know how the beer making goes. We just finished off a small corney keg of our 7.1% brown ale..
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
Black patent malts. Chocolate malt flavors... Darker than hell though. Crystal 90l Malt will do that to you. It won't win any contests I'm sure, but the drinkability is there. We won't drink bad beer. And so far none of it has been crazy bad. A blonde ale is in the works right now, just in time for St. Patricks day. It'll have to be a fast cycle, which isn't necessarily ideal. But it'll be fine. 2 weeks to ferment. then a 7 day cold crash/forced carbonation leading right up to st. patricks day
Mmm. That brown ale sounds tasty. I love dark beers.  As for bottling, I'm hoping to start using corney kegs in the near future.
I recently tried our first batch after being bottled for 2.5 weeks. Its a west coast pale ale and has a really nice color,  hop flavor and aroma. It poured with a nice head but seemed to be a little over carbonated. The bottle cap shot off when I opened it. Overall, I was surprised at how well it came out. We just bottled our 2nd batch, which is a malty black belgian ale ~8.5%.  Our third batch is currently fermenting, which is another west coast pale ale. Next, I' think we'll be doing  a black IPA. Either that or a porter.

2du0abl.jpg

drinking a couple of these; great pale wheat ale
5408415789_100d0dc09e.jpg

saved two of these and with the Spring coming soon; I might have to drink one...probably my favorite Pumpkin ale along with Southhampton  

DSC06635.JPG

drinking a couple of these; great pale wheat ale
5408415789_100d0dc09e.jpg

saved two of these and with the Spring coming soon; I might have to drink one...probably my favorite Pumpkin ale along with Southhampton  

DSC06635.JPG

Originally Posted by StillIn729

Originally Posted by Mojodmonky1

Originally Posted by AJChick23

Finally tried Allagash White..
pimp.gif
so good.
and Chimay White..it was pretty good as well, but I want to try the Blue since everybody recommends it.
Alagash is my wife's go too beer.  Maybe its a woman thing?  I think its just ok.

i thought i was a fan of beer, but im rookie status compared to some of yall.

i have a hard time finding available stock of Pliny the Elder for some reason, so I had to go straight to the source.  Against all odds, I managed to get a growler of Pliny, and a handful of bottles of Pliny, Damnation, and Damnation Batch 23 on the plane and back home in one piece.  Well worth the effort.

you should be slapped for that comment; Allagash White is one of the best beers on the planet
Pliny is hard to come by in almost all areas

PLINY IS SOOOO
pimp.gif

HAD FOUR BOTTLES OF THAT IN ONE NIGHT.

THE REST WAS HISTORY.
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by StillIn729

Originally Posted by Mojodmonky1

Originally Posted by AJChick23

Finally tried Allagash White..
pimp.gif
so good.
and Chimay White..it was pretty good as well, but I want to try the Blue since everybody recommends it.
Alagash is my wife's go too beer.  Maybe its a woman thing?  I think its just ok.

i thought i was a fan of beer, but im rookie status compared to some of yall.

i have a hard time finding available stock of Pliny the Elder for some reason, so I had to go straight to the source.  Against all odds, I managed to get a growler of Pliny, and a handful of bottles of Pliny, Damnation, and Damnation Batch 23 on the plane and back home in one piece.  Well worth the effort.

you should be slapped for that comment; Allagash White is one of the best beers on the planet
Pliny is hard to come by in almost all areas

PLINY IS SOOOO
pimp.gif

HAD FOUR BOTTLES OF THAT IN ONE NIGHT.

THE REST WAS HISTORY.
pimp.gif

Actually had this on draft just a few nights ago (the bottles came out a while back but I guess you had to order them.  Wasn't easy to find.)  I absolutely loved it.  I had to almost give up beer altogether though.  Got alot of fall/winter weight to work off.  I never used to like beer at all when I was younger which made it much easier to stay in shape.  
http://www.drunkenpolack.com/images/*****esbrew.jpg

Actually had this on draft just a few nights ago (the bottles came out a while back but I guess you had to order them.  Wasn't easy to find.)  I absolutely loved it.  I had to almost give up beer altogether though.  Got alot of fall/winter weight to work off.  I never used to like beer at all when I was younger which made it much easier to stay in shape.  
http://www.drunkenpolack.com/images/*****esbrew.jpg

Big day ahead.

You all got anything special for St. Patrick's Day?

I will splash in with a variety of some favorites.

Local breweries award winning 7.2% IPA. Bought up two growlers worth (A growler is a half gallon. Price is usually about $8-$10 bucks. It comes out to being almost more than 4 pints you are served. So at least a $6 dollar savings.)
Another local breweries Double White ale. Think a less orangy Blue Moon.. This one a 7.0%er. So frickin easy to drink with a great sweetness. One of these will be the death of me. lol

Then some home brews.. Bottling half our batches actually let us save most of these for 3 months
laugh.gif
. Kegging right away just leaves nothing beyond 3 weeks. So its quite the event to actually have 3 home brews available at once.

4.5% Honey Blonde. Light and sweet. A great beer to get the true macro light drinkers on board
5.5% Amber Ale. This one very similar to the honey blonde. Very sweet. Hop smell or taste is kept to a minium. 25 IBU at most.
7.something % Brown Ale. This one we bottled and it carbonated up within just a week. We gave it some time to condition.

This weekend will be quite the feast
-----------
digital022, from page 56. Great updates. Once you get to drink that home brew, and have others not only enjoy it, but consider it something they truly like and have them move away from the macro stuff, it's all uphill from there. You'll want to get better efficiency, make it clearer, and just have an overall better beer as each batch goes along... We just purchased our own grain mill. So no more relying on others. This feat alone will cut our costs down considerably. It's scary how cheap you will get your beer eventually.

We actually had some issues with some bottled home brew. We forgot to dissolve the priming sugar before throwing it into a refrigerated keg we had of our beer (think bottling bucket). So some bottles came out okay, and others not so great. So we went the route of opening many of the bottles, and getting that into a corney keg, and force carbing it. Force carbonation is such a simple process that when you try to bottle again, you can forget steps or get frustrated. Then the sediment is never really where you want it, so you have to serve it carefully. Kegging is 100% where to go.

Are you guys re using the yeast? That's pretty much were we have gone as far as costs. We go from a lighter style to darker, and reuse the yeast 3 total times. Savings, its coming out to about $40 bucks (if we cant get it for free lol)

Next up for us is a really light blonde ale. We have some events coming up so we want to practice first before sharing with hundreds. The original recipe calls for a 4% beer. We are striving for 5.2% at the minimum.

Big day ahead.

You all got anything special for St. Patrick's Day?

I will splash in with a variety of some favorites.

Local breweries award winning 7.2% IPA. Bought up two growlers worth (A growler is a half gallon. Price is usually about $8-$10 bucks. It comes out to being almost more than 4 pints you are served. So at least a $6 dollar savings.)
Another local breweries Double White ale. Think a less orangy Blue Moon.. This one a 7.0%er. So frickin easy to drink with a great sweetness. One of these will be the death of me. lol

Then some home brews.. Bottling half our batches actually let us save most of these for 3 months
laugh.gif
. Kegging right away just leaves nothing beyond 3 weeks. So its quite the event to actually have 3 home brews available at once.

4.5% Honey Blonde. Light and sweet. A great beer to get the true macro light drinkers on board
5.5% Amber Ale. This one very similar to the honey blonde. Very sweet. Hop smell or taste is kept to a minium. 25 IBU at most.
7.something % Brown Ale. This one we bottled and it carbonated up within just a week. We gave it some time to condition.

This weekend will be quite the feast
-----------
digital022, from page 56. Great updates. Once you get to drink that home brew, and have others not only enjoy it, but consider it something they truly like and have them move away from the macro stuff, it's all uphill from there. You'll want to get better efficiency, make it clearer, and just have an overall better beer as each batch goes along... We just purchased our own grain mill. So no more relying on others. This feat alone will cut our costs down considerably. It's scary how cheap you will get your beer eventually.

We actually had some issues with some bottled home brew. We forgot to dissolve the priming sugar before throwing it into a refrigerated keg we had of our beer (think bottling bucket). So some bottles came out okay, and others not so great. So we went the route of opening many of the bottles, and getting that into a corney keg, and force carbing it. Force carbonation is such a simple process that when you try to bottle again, you can forget steps or get frustrated. Then the sediment is never really where you want it, so you have to serve it carefully. Kegging is 100% where to go.

Are you guys re using the yeast? That's pretty much were we have gone as far as costs. We go from a lighter style to darker, and reuse the yeast 3 total times. Savings, its coming out to about $40 bucks (if we cant get it for free lol)

Next up for us is a really light blonde ale. We have some events coming up so we want to practice first before sharing with hundreds. The original recipe calls for a 4% beer. We are striving for 5.2% at the minimum.

Back
Top Bottom