NT, What Beer Do You Drink?

Been drinking this alot lately at the bar. Half blue moon and half guinness.

gotta try that, what's the taste like? what beer goes in first? 
smile.gif

Last edited:
Beer update from this past holiday weekend

I really need to get into beer trading. So much is out there. It's crazy how limited some breweries production is. I had my first dogfish head this past July. And just recently was able to acquire some more.. What many take for granted is a 4 hour drive for others.

Along with some 60 minute IPA, I picked up a 4 pack of the Imperial 90 minute IPA.. Right alongside those beers was another brewery unfamiliar to my local region. Victory brewing, out of PA.. A few beer reviews later, I wound up with some Hop Wallop Imperial IPA... This led me to a perfect east coast showdown between the two. Both amazingly crisp and easy to drink. The hop wallop tasted about 40 IBU higher than the Dogfish head beer. Still tasty. But definitely a lip smacker. I would highly recommend both... As far as the "booze" factor, both are in the 9% range, but didn't taste any bit as high. The hop wallop hops had a bit more character to their flavor. I couldn't tell you what hops were used etc.. without going online. But they definitely carried two different personalities.

Heading from 90 min to 60 min. makes the 60 almost too easy to drink. Many call it that beginners IPA. It's smooth and just very easy to drink for an IPA. I imagine all of the other Dogfish brews just as smooth as these IPAs.

With the Victory Hop Wallop purchase, I was also able to try the Imperial Stout, Storm King. This one is boozy with a roasted bitter chocolate malt flavor.. Another highly rated beer that just so happens to match its review.

I am not really going out of my way to try bad beers when given a chance to just try one or two six packs so I have to make the most out of it. I am basically confirming much of what is stated online already. But that's okay.

--------------
6 more beers I tried in a build your own six pack

-Wells Banana Bread Beer- This one reminded me of those banana popsciles I would eat as a kid. Just a very non hoppy, very sweat "malt beverage" as some would call these types of beers. I didn't hate but. But doubt I would buy again, given the price

-Sam Adams Tasman Red- This one may have been skunked from the beginning. The beer smelled alright. But trying to gulp it down was a challenge. It may be a character of the tasmania hops, I dont know.. I didnt waste it, as I finished it up in a half hour. But it was a challenge. This one came in a big bomber priced in the $7 range.. No bargain here. Flavor was off.

-Deschutes Obsidian Stout. Like most normal stouts with that robust coffee like flavors. Smooth and just another easy to drink stout beer. This is another to throw into my arsenal for future purchases.

-Tilburg Dutch Brown Ale. Easy to drink brown ale. I don't remember much other than really enjoying this one. Very sessionable.

- Weihenstephaner Originial. I picked this one out in accident. I wanted the higher rated Hefe. But this one was great too.. As odd as it sounds, This is like a true five star "Macro Bud light" kind of beer. Moderate malt character. Very little hops. A bit like an paulaner octoberfest as drinkable is really nice. Technically I guess this one is Munich helles lager. Refreshing to a fault lol. Some serious good stuff. Can't wait to try the hefe this weekend.

Cheers

good stuff wally.

i gave budweiser black a try this weekend. it was good i guess for those who like budweiser, it tastes very similar but not as disgusting 
laugh.gif

Anyone in the Cambridge/Sommerville area or with Red line access, I recommend hitting up 5 Horses Tavern in Davis Sq.

What do they have on tap? I'm near Inman and always find great stuff to try at Lord Hobo and Meade Hall in Kendall but haven't hit up 5 horses tavern yet.

Oooooh, dying to try the dogfish head 120. Just finished off a 75 minute a little while ago. It says it has maple but it just tasted more like a bourbon barrel IPA.

and got one of these just chillin'. still haven't tried one yet.

What do they have on tap? I'm near Inman and always find great stuff to try at Lord Hobo and Meade Hall in Kendall but haven't hit up 5 horses tavern yet.

Big fan of Inman, I am over in Central, and definitely enjoy both those sports you mentioned. Although last time I was over at Lord Hobo everytime I ordered a beer they didnt have it.

I recommend you try Atwood's Tavern, too. Great food and great beer list.

Kendall is blowing up too, has changed alot of the past 5 years or so.

Here is the tap list for 5 Horses, food is on point too:

http://fivehorsestavern.com/on-tap

Atwood is good, just timing it around the weekends, if you're just there for food and drinks and its a weekend night you're paying $5-$10 at the door cause some band is playing that you have no interest in.

I work in Central. We've probably crossed paths a few times. My fab spots for drinks in Central have to be Green street and Asgard, although that's kind of hit or miss.

Went to Atwood's with my buddy one night, we got there well before cover charge for the band but dinner took a bit so the band was setting up and the waiter came over and tried to get us for the cover charge to watch the band. Hit her with the :stoneface:

Cambridge in general is a great place to drink. Hit up Cambridge Commons, I am sure you have, on Mass Ave as well. Between Harvard and Porter.

Dont mean to derail the thread turning this into a back and forth, but I felt I'd share.

Any one try the Barrel Aged Big Foot from Sierra Nevada? I called my local spot and they said they would hold one for me. Got there after work and of course the dude says they are all gone. SMH.

Any one try the Barrel Aged Big Foot from Sierra Nevada? I called my local spot and they said they would hold one for me. Got there after work and of course the dude says they are all gone. SMH.

never tried their barrel aged version. but barelywine if done right is always a hit when barrel aged

picked up some Midnight Sun Espresso Stout and some Phillips Double Chocolate Porter.

the espresso smelled fantastic (if you like coffee) and went down easy. better than all the other espressos ive tried, for sure.

havent cracked open the porter, but ive heard good things. will cop some St. Bernardus next trip out.

Not a surprise...the state of Kansas got one case of it. It all went to one store near me, and they sold every bottle to employees. One of them posted on a local craft beer message board stating as much, and when someone asked the store on their Facebook page if it was true, dude got all mad and offended that someone would be mad about it. Don't put it out there in public and expect people not to be a little upset about it.

Back
Top Bottom