NT, What Beer Do You Drink?

Opened up a regular BCBS last night. I know some of this year's batches were boozy, but good lord the bottles I have are absolutely perfect.  I did a side-by-side with a fresh bottle of this year's BCBCS and the original won handedly.

mvnvsn, Nice. you ever drink just normal Sierra Nevada?. Ultra jelly
----------------
I've been hitting some duds lately.

-Ska Modus Hoperandi. So so disappointment. Slightly piney, but no other elements make it taste fresh, hoppy, bright, or otherwise worth my money. Feels malty & slightly old. NOT WORTH IT
-Ska Modus Mandarina. Way fresher than Hoperandi, but it still feels overly bitter. No crispness or freshness feeling. I may never return to trying these guys. NOT WORTH IT.It doesnt help their canning is some 6 months "best by" dated.
-BP GF Sculpin. Other than the finish which has some GF flavors, it's a pretty straight forward crisp ipa. Price point still a big turn off. Crisp GF flavor a turn on though. 50/50 WORTH IT-NOT WORTH IT
-Oskar Blues Hotbox Coffee Porter. Maybe I just dont get what expensive coffee is supposed to taste like. But this compares to a local imperial java stout that is some 1/3rds the cost. At $16/four pack, NOT WORTH IT
-Odell Lugene Choc. Milk Stout- At 8.5%, plus the residual lactose sugars, this feels overly sweet for me. I can drink a FBS all day (nearly same ABV) or a Ten fidy, at 2% more. This is truly a dessert type beer. It's crisp, straight forward chocolate flavored stout. I give them credit there. Balance is decent but at the end of that beer, sweetness kicks in. I think I prefer Left Hands regular Milk Stout more... 6.5% is that money zone for milk stouts IMHO. Priced at $11/four pack 12oz., abv is nice but overall. 50/50 WORTH IT-NOT WORTH IT.
Considering a local brewery has a milk stout in bombers selling at $10/bomber, with less ABV, Odell doesnt seem so bad... I guess its all comparative.

Now with all this sadness, I did find some re buys
- SN Otra Vez Gose Style Ale.. It's not a AVBC or Westbrook Gose. It has no funk. I call it a 1/4 Gose. It's tart, slightly salty, but oh so refreshing. Price point is some $2 less than AVBC, with 0.3% more ABV. It has that cactus fruit flavor and Grapefruit hitting just the right notes. Not overly sweet. I will need to revisit ASAP. When temps hit above 70, watch out. I will check this one out again ASAP.
-Uinta Hop Nosh- It's slightly sweet. Slightly Malty. Slightly Citrus/Slightly Pine hop flavors. To me it tastes like a Lagunitas sucks/IPA type beer. I can get down with supporting a smaller brewery like this.
-NB Citradelic IPA. I mentioned it in a prior post, there is just enough unique citrus flavors that arent overly sweet for me to give it a retry. Definitely not a IPA, it's more of a pale ale. Refreshing qualities and price point a big turn on here.

Sorry to hear about your bottles meyer23 meyer23 . Good to know GI is giving refunds.

Missed out on BA Bomb today but was able to snag this

For anyone that enjoys the Grapefruit Sculpin the Pinenapple sculpin is just as good in my opinion. Might be a prisoner of the moment but it's a good beer.

16 oz. 1050 BAed cans? Damn. I'm sure its much more reasonable than the 22oz bomber prices we see. That seems tasty.
-----------------

So... I retried some more GF Sculpin ( I bought a sixer so I had no choice). It's won me back over, just a day or so after saying I was 50-50. I dont taste much of a hop flavor, or malt. It's a super crisp dry beer with hints of GF, and then some bitterness. I guess you can call that unique. But a less than 2 week old bottle is worth it, despite who owns the company now.

Pineapple Sculpin is being offered in a sampling event at a local beer store in a couple days. I'm guessing we'll get a couple cases worth to start.. I'm iffy on what the actual taste will be.. For me, that tartness of a grapefruit meshes so well with the IBU hop bitterness. I just dont know what to expect out of a pineapple sculpin. Will it be too sweet? I have never heard of a tart pineapple. I dont want Sculpin turning too sweet.

16 oz. 1050 BAed cans? Damn. I'm sure its much more reasonable than the 22oz bomber prices we see. That seems tasty.
-----------------

So... I retried some more GF Sculpin ( I bought a sixer so I had no choice). It's won me back over, just a day or so after saying I was 50-50. I dont taste much of a hop flavor, or malt. It's a super crisp dry beer with hints of GF, and then some bitterness. I guess you can call that unique. But a less than 2 week old bottle is worth it, despite who owns the company now.

Pineapple Sculpin is being offered in a sampling event at a local beer store in a couple days. I'm guessing we'll get a couple cases worth to start.. I'm iffy on what the actual taste will be.. For me, that tartness of a grapefruit meshes so well with the IBU hop bitterness. I just dont know what to expect out of a pineapple sculpin. Will it be too sweet? I have never heard of a tart pineapple. I dont want Sculpin turning too sweet.

I enjoyed the Pineapple Sculpin jut as much as the Grapefruit but that is just me. I will def be buying it again

So psyched that a friend from Colorado sent me this.

Also me and some friends had these 2 and we also decided to mix them!

Those cans are messing with mah eyes :lol: they look photoshopped!!

You guys were right. This is good but not better than the original and definitely not worth the $20 price tag
Glad I got to try it, tho

wife brought me home a nice stout that is local to Texas.

Shannon brewing chocolate stout. It comes in a six pack cans. 

Anyone else on here enjoyed it yet?

It's SF Beer week in San Francisco. All local brewers and even some from out of state are here and taking over bars. Just had a bunch from Lagunitas beer at a local bar and all for like $4-5. They had some New Zealand fusion beers that were really good.

It's SF Beer week in San Francisco. All local brewers and even some from out of state are here and taking over bars. Just had a bunch from Lagunitas beer at a local bar and all for like $4-5. They had some New Zealand fusion beers that were really good.

Bro, I'm on hard core anti-biotics and can't even drink 3 days before or after and its a week treatment. Thankfully, I'll be ready for super bowl :smokin

I'm usually an IPA guy, but lately, I've been really enjoying drinking stella. I've had just about everything in this topic, and it all tastes the same after a while :smh:

Maybe this is a good thing for me.......

Last edited:
^^^^^Damn....I heard that but nothing you can't get at your local Bevmo. Luckily SF love their beer, so there really isn't anything you can't get in stores. Plus I'd rather drink during Super Bowl anyways.

Made a quick TW run last night.
Picked up:
-So Happens It's Tuesday from The Bruery
-Sierra Nevada Beer Camp Tropical IPA
-Sierra Nevada Otra Vez
-BP Pineapple Sculpin
-Green Flash Passion Fruit Kicker
-21st Amendment Fireside Chat (yuck). Got about 3/4 way through and dumped it. It just wasn't good.
And then to my surprise, there was a big display of BCBS. About 20 cases. 13.7% version. I picked up a bottle.
I'm convinced that there is absolutely no way you can live in CA and not have multiple bottles of this if you want it.

Dale Katechis of Oskar Blues came to my hometown of Flint, MI to raise awareness and distribute canned water from the brewery, so I drove the hour to have a pint with the guy. Craft beer is a community, and I can think of no better community than Flint. Printed on the bottom of the cans? FlintsGotGrit.

Dale Katechis of Oskar Blues came to my hometown of Flint, MI to raise awareness and distribute canned water from the brewery, so I drove the hour to have a pint with the guy. Craft beer is a community, and I can think of no better community than Flint. Printed on the bottom of the cans? FlintsGotGrit.

Dale is a real stand-up guy. His commitment to charity and doing the right thing is incredible.

Back
Top Bottom