NTers 25+: Do you guys still have trouble splitting the bill with your friends?

Originally Posted by BroComeAtMe

Originally Posted by loendradio

Here's a trick if you're stuck with one bill amongst a large group of people..

1: Determine who purchased what and divide the cost of their food BEFORE TAX/GRATUITY and divide it by the SUBTOTAL to figure out what percentage of the bill they are responsible for.

example: I cop the phad see ew for the $7.95, the subtotal is $87.50.

7.95 / 87.50 = 0.09 = 9%

2. Apply that percentage to the after tax, after gratuity total.

$87.50 subtotal plus 9% tax plus 15% gratuity = $109.68

$109.68 * .09 = $9.88

At the very least, you'll be able to determine exactly how much YOU owe, but it's not hard to run these numbers real quick for the whole table. Most efficient way of ensuring that no one gets screwed over that I'm aware of.
 awww hell naw 
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
laugh.gif
.. ill just throw down $40 and say some yall gonna get me back on drinks later...

Me and my friends don't even try to split the bill fairly in anyway anymore, we just put in whatever we feel like or have in our pockets at the time and the bill always gets covered. There will be times someone pays less, someone pays more, someone doesn't pay at all, it doesn't matter, everything balances out eventually.

Me and my friends don't even try to split the bill fairly in anyway anymore, we just put in whatever we feel like or have in our pockets at the time and the bill always gets covered. There will be times someone pays less, someone pays more, someone doesn't pay at all, it doesn't matter, everything balances out eventually.

somebody always picks up the check or we ask the waitress to split the bill. simple.

somebody always picks up the check or we ask the waitress to split the bill. simple.

The friends I usually eat out with all overpay. Things like having a 30 dollar bill total for 4 people and everyone throws $20 in like "we good, right?" 
laugh.gif
. I think part of it has to do with some of us working in the service industry, so we always make it a point to acknowledge the tax/grat.
What it comes down to really, is does your group understand what dining out entails. If they do, any method will work perfectly fine. If they don't, you're +$*!+!.

The friends I usually eat out with all overpay. Things like having a 30 dollar bill total for 4 people and everyone throws $20 in like "we good, right?" 
laugh.gif
. I think part of it has to do with some of us working in the service industry, so we always make it a point to acknowledge the tax/grat.
What it comes down to really, is does your group understand what dining out entails. If they do, any method will work perfectly fine. If they don't, you're +$*!+!.

didn't read the thread, but in my experience, four people is the maximum number of people in a party where there is no discrepancy regarding how much people have put in. Almost without fail, with groups of 5+ people, someone doesn't pay their fair share. Don't know how it works, but it's kind of crazy. These days I don't eat out much with more than one person. Most of them we split it 50/50 because neither of us orders much more than the other. The girl I go out with (not my girlfriend) is different, we trade off. She pays one place, I pay at the next, and we go back and forth. Just makes life easier, especially when we bar hop.

didn't read the thread, but in my experience, four people is the maximum number of people in a party where there is no discrepancy regarding how much people have put in. Almost without fail, with groups of 5+ people, someone doesn't pay their fair share. Don't know how it works, but it's kind of crazy. These days I don't eat out much with more than one person. Most of them we split it 50/50 because neither of us orders much more than the other. The girl I go out with (not my girlfriend) is different, we trade off. She pays one place, I pay at the next, and we go back and forth. Just makes life easier, especially when we bar hop.

Cheap people will always remain cheap people. Was out for my 21st a couple of years ago and immediately upon hearing "we're short" after everyone's put their money in, I took out a bunch of money to cover the difference + tip. Was told not to since it was my birthday, but I was frustrated since this had happened prior to that incident and I snuck in the money anyway. Haven't ate out with groups since then
laugh.gif
30t6p3b.gif

Edit: I hate the Imma Order An Appetizer Only guy.  Dude doesn't even realize, he's getting less food and at most places appetizers cost as much as an entree.  And when the bill comes dude turns into one of the Great Debators
eyes.gif
{

Cheap people will always remain cheap people. Was out for my 21st a couple of years ago and immediately upon hearing "we're short" after everyone's put their money in, I took out a bunch of money to cover the difference + tip. Was told not to since it was my birthday, but I was frustrated since this had happened prior to that incident and I snuck in the money anyway. Haven't ate out with groups since then
laugh.gif
30t6p3b.gif

Edit: I hate the Imma Order An Appetizer Only guy.  Dude doesn't even realize, he's getting less food and at most places appetizers cost as much as an entree.  And when the bill comes dude turns into one of the Great Debators
eyes.gif
{

Originally Posted by 17

when w/ my close friends it doesn't really matter which way they want to split the bill because we have a good time, paying a few extra dollars for something i didn't eat is not going to hurt me financially or emotionally, we're friends if i got it you got it, no need to argue over a few dollars
Pretty much my exact thoughts word for word. I don't really trip over that too much.

Originally Posted by 17

when w/ my close friends it doesn't really matter which way they want to split the bill because we have a good time, paying a few extra dollars for something i didn't eat is not going to hurt me financially or emotionally, we're friends if i got it you got it, no need to argue over a few dollars
Pretty much my exact thoughts word for word. I don't really trip over that too much.

I dont get how its so hard to pay for what you ordered + tax/tip.
Splitting checks evenly is a stupid idea. 
laugh.gif
 Unless you doing it family style, everyone sharing. Otherwise, its one dude ordering a nice expensive steak and me ordering a burger and we both pay the same at the end. 
indifferent.gif

I dont get how its so hard to pay for what you ordered + tax/tip.
Splitting checks evenly is a stupid idea. 
laugh.gif
 Unless you doing it family style, everyone sharing. Otherwise, its one dude ordering a nice expensive steak and me ordering a burger and we both pay the same at the end. 
indifferent.gif

Ye..i really am not a fan of splitting the bill...after a recent experience. Went out to some guy's bday drinks (at a bar/dinner) type place. Showed up at 10 pm. Came with two other friends. There were 15 of us total. My two friends and I ordered a pitcher of Blue Moon for $17. That is literally all we ordered all night. There was a birthday cake as well. So at the end the birthday boy comes around asking $20 from everyone. Really, nothing could be said at that point. Just felt stupid paying so much, and figured there has to be a better way to handle the situation. I don't mind splitting the bill when it is with close friends and such. I was mad annoyed cuz it was a bunch of people I didn't know, nor have ever met before. I was tempted to just do the dip real quick to the bathroom deal, but then figured really wtv it wasn't the money, just the principle.

Ye..i really am not a fan of splitting the bill...after a recent experience. Went out to some guy's bday drinks (at a bar/dinner) type place. Showed up at 10 pm. Came with two other friends. There were 15 of us total. My two friends and I ordered a pitcher of Blue Moon for $17. That is literally all we ordered all night. There was a birthday cake as well. So at the end the birthday boy comes around asking $20 from everyone. Really, nothing could be said at that point. Just felt stupid paying so much, and figured there has to be a better way to handle the situation. I don't mind splitting the bill when it is with close friends and such. I was mad annoyed cuz it was a bunch of people I didn't know, nor have ever met before. I was tempted to just do the dip real quick to the bathroom deal, but then figured really wtv it wasn't the money, just the principle.

Originally Posted by Mojodmonky1

Originally Posted by badboyf0life420

Usually when the bill is 40 or less..
we play credit card roulette..
we let the waiter pick what card he wants to use.. If its more than 40, we might have the waiter pick 2 cards.. So far 5-0..
pimp.gif
if the entire bill is $40 or less?

damb... i need to try and institute this policy.  i love to gamble and will gamble on anything.  this adds a nice little twist to a casual meal.

This is a dope way of doing it. Once I finish with school and I'm making real coin I'd be inclined to try this. Somehow I think one group of my friends, who I eat out with more, wouldn't be up for this method of payment.

It's slightly different here in New Zealand, generally once the entire meal and drinks are done we'll get a receipt with the bill and then we'll all just go up and pay for what we got. I'd have no problem paying for somebody's meal if I were in the financial position to do so. But then again meals here are priced in a whole other ball game to America. A standard main course meal at a decent restaurant is between NZ$20 to $30.

I hate it when some of my friends baulk at the idea of getting an appetiser to share even though they're the ones earning more money. There's been a couple times I've paid for a shared appetiser; I don't mind, but it'd be nice if someone else got it once in a while.

If someone skips on paying, which is normally just for a few drinks, we all give that person %*$# in a joking but serious way until they repay the person who covered for them. On that "Come on man, you owe so and so! Just give it up.
laugh.gif
indifferent.gif
na for real bro. Cough up."

We also have the beauty of tipping not being customary and the goods and services tax is included in everything we pay for. Win - win.

Originally Posted by Mojodmonky1

Originally Posted by badboyf0life420

Usually when the bill is 40 or less..
we play credit card roulette..
we let the waiter pick what card he wants to use.. If its more than 40, we might have the waiter pick 2 cards.. So far 5-0..
pimp.gif
if the entire bill is $40 or less?

damb... i need to try and institute this policy.  i love to gamble and will gamble on anything.  this adds a nice little twist to a casual meal.

This is a dope way of doing it. Once I finish with school and I'm making real coin I'd be inclined to try this. Somehow I think one group of my friends, who I eat out with more, wouldn't be up for this method of payment.

It's slightly different here in New Zealand, generally once the entire meal and drinks are done we'll get a receipt with the bill and then we'll all just go up and pay for what we got. I'd have no problem paying for somebody's meal if I were in the financial position to do so. But then again meals here are priced in a whole other ball game to America. A standard main course meal at a decent restaurant is between NZ$20 to $30.

I hate it when some of my friends baulk at the idea of getting an appetiser to share even though they're the ones earning more money. There's been a couple times I've paid for a shared appetiser; I don't mind, but it'd be nice if someone else got it once in a while.

If someone skips on paying, which is normally just for a few drinks, we all give that person %*$# in a joking but serious way until they repay the person who covered for them. On that "Come on man, you owe so and so! Just give it up.
laugh.gif
indifferent.gif
na for real bro. Cough up."

We also have the beauty of tipping not being customary and the goods and services tax is included in everything we pay for. Win - win.

Originally Posted by SharpiePoint

laugh.gif
30t6p3b.gif

eyes.gif
mad.gif
{
laugh.gif
  getting
mad.gif
just reading this...always one in the group that doesnt wanna eat much but ends up having five drinks which cost more than my surf and turf- but when bill time comes its like nah i didnt order food remember
grin.gif

and i had a similar incident around my bday...went out bowling with like 20+ heads...one of those spots where you have  private area and waitresses bringing you food/drink etc...i told the waitress from the jump to have separate checks from the group cause i wasnt tryna deal with it...bill comes and its like $1200 or something....everybody is passing it around and calculating on the phones...ends up being like 200 short
30t6p3b.gif
  - no mas
tired.gif

laugh.gif
30t6p3b.gif

eyes.gif
mad.gif
{
laugh.gif
  getting
mad.gif
just reading this...always one in the group that doesnt wanna eat much but ends up having five drinks which cost more than my surf and turf- but when bill time comes its like nah i didnt order food remember
grin.gif

and i had a similar incident around my bday...went out bowling with like 20+ heads...one of those spots where you have  private area and waitresses bringing you food/drink etc...i told the waitress from the jump to have separate checks from the group cause i wasnt tryna deal with it...bill comes and its like $1200 or something....everybody is passing it around and calculating on the phones...ends up being like 200 short
30t6p3b.gif
  - no mas
tired.gif

Originally Posted by Kingtre

laugh.gif
30t6p3b.gif

eyes.gif
mad.gif
{
laugh.gif
  getting
mad.gif
grin.gif

30t6p3b.gif
  - no mas
tired.gif
i hate this #%+% man.  that's why i don't kick it with broke cheap people.  at least not in public.  i'm not letting some broke dudes embarrass me by splitting burgers, drinking water and then not tipping.  pull that crap and you're never getting an invite anywhere besides ihop with me. 

Originally Posted by Kingtre

laugh.gif
30t6p3b.gif

eyes.gif
mad.gif
{
laugh.gif
  getting
mad.gif
grin.gif

30t6p3b.gif
  - no mas
tired.gif
i hate this #%+% man.  that's why i don't kick it with broke cheap people.  at least not in public.  i'm not letting some broke dudes embarrass me by splitting burgers, drinking water and then not tipping.  pull that crap and you're never getting an invite anywhere besides ihop with me. 

Back
Top Bottom