NTers 25+: Do you guys still have trouble splitting the bill with your friends?

I always bring at least $50 dollars with me to the restaurant. . If the bill is under 50.. I usually paid it all by myself. . If I know that the bill is going to be more than $50.. I need seperate checks..

I always bring at least $50 dollars with me to the restaurant. . If the bill is under 50.. I usually paid it all by myself. . If I know that the bill is going to be more than $50.. I need seperate checks..

Originally Posted by Furrell

Originally Posted by Alchemiss

Yeah they do it to get the gratuity and "recommended" tip.
It's actually because split checks are really annoying.  Table of 12 people and 12 separate checks all paying different methods.  Working in the service industry has totally made me not want to go out to eat anymore, especially in large groups.  So many people don't figure tax+tip in when they pay... if you don't have the $ to pay for your share properly then don't go out to eat right?

Anyways split checks are almost 99% of the time requested by people 25 and under. 
Its not my fault that split checks are annoying. They are more convenient for everyone who requests one. Its inconvenient for you because you don't want to handle the different methods like the waitress who almost lost my friend's debit card while handling her bill. Tax is mandatory, a tip is not. They don't have to figure it in when they pay.

Regarding the bolded statement, I'll pay for my meal and include the tip and tax. That's MY share. I'm not covering anyone else.
But if you do have a large group, you usually do have to figure in tip.  Almost all restaurants put an 18-20% automatic gratuity for parties of 6 or more.  The other day this guy at a table of 10 people tried to give me his card before they even got the check and said "I got the burger and soda, put $9 on my card"...
indifferent.gif
  His order was about $13 before tax+tip and him and his friends all split side orders as well.  A lot of people try to get out of paying extra... Makes me feel bad for the people with them.  Someone always ends up paying difference for a friend who didn't put in enough. 

Originally Posted by Alchemiss

Yeah they do it to get the gratuity and "recommended" tip.
It's actually because split checks are really annoying.  Table of 12 people and 12 separate checks all paying different methods.  Working in the service industry has totally made me not want to go out to eat anymore, especially in large groups.  So many people don't figure tax+tip in when they pay... if you don't have the $ to pay for your share properly then don't go out to eat right?

Anyways split checks are almost 99% of the time requested by people 25 and under. 
Its not my fault that split checks are annoying. They are more convenient for everyone who requests one. Its inconvenient for you because you don't want to handle the different methods like the waitress who almost lost my friend's debit card while handling her bill. Tax is mandatory, a tip is not. They don't have to figure it in when they pay.

Regarding the bolded statement, I'll pay for my meal and include the tip and tax. That's MY share. I'm not covering anyone else.
But if you do have a large group, you usually do have to figure in tip.  Almost all restaurants put an 18-20% automatic gratuity for parties of 6 or more.  The other day this guy at a table of 10 people tried to give me his card before they even got the check and said "I got the burger and soda, put $9 on my card"...
indifferent.gif
  His order was about $13 before tax+tip and him and his friends all split side orders as well.  A lot of people try to get out of paying extra... Makes me feel bad for the people with them.  Someone always ends up paying difference for a friend who didn't put in enough. 

And for the record, I actually love working bigger parties. It just irks me when people don't understand the concept of tax+tip, especially when it's all on the bill right in front of them

And for the record, I actually love working bigger parties. It just irks me when people don't understand the concept of tax+tip, especially when it's all on the bill right in front of them

Originally Posted by JimiLebowski

Originally Posted by TimCity2000

you guys don't get separate checks?
I don't think he's talking about going to Dennis after the club

even the most swank places will give you separate check if you ask for it. to answer op's question when it's a group of my closest friends usually one of us picks up the tab and the next time someone else gets it & so on & so forth, if we're bringing our ladies with then we have separate checks brought out

Originally Posted by JimiLebowski

Originally Posted by TimCity2000

you guys don't get separate checks?
I don't think he's talking about going to Dennis after the club

even the most swank places will give you separate check if you ask for it. to answer op's question when it's a group of my closest friends usually one of us picks up the tab and the next time someone else gets it & so on & so forth, if we're bringing our ladies with then we have separate checks brought out

Went out friday night I was surprised how smooth it went no body really complained about anything and paid straight up their share

Went out friday night I was surprised how smooth it went no body really complained about anything and paid straight up their share

I'm pretty sure it's actually illegal to not do separate checks. People are just lazy and don't want to do it. It's also illegal to have a credit card minimum, even if a place has a sign up.

I'm pretty sure it's actually illegal to not do separate checks. People are just lazy and don't want to do it. It's also illegal to have a credit card minimum, even if a place has a sign up.

Nah, my friends and I are good when it comes to splitting up the bill.  We don't split it up evenly, we pay the amount we owe plus some extra to cover the tip.

Back
Top Bottom