NT's All Time NBA ReDraft Thread: GR8 Write Up Page 187, Bracket Final Vote

Evolved is absolutely not the right word

Evolved? No. Improved? Absolutely.

Why do Olympic records continue to be broken Every. Single. Olympic Games?

Because the athletes improve their stamina, strength, endurance, and overall ability.

common misconception.

I recommend a book called "the sports gene"

Most of the improvements in times and endurance come down to improvements in technology, training and nutrition and specialization of body types. The humans bodies back then still held the same athletic potential, or rather if not the same the difference is marginal for this discussion. and basketball was already specialized for hieght.

For example if you account for the loss of enegery n the different running surface, and shoes, Jesse owens in 1936 would basically be stride for with usain bolts record. Usian would be faster, but only slightly.

Did the US produce less basketball players, sure, but only 96 were in the NBA. probabaly only 60% or less of them played mayjor minutes. your telling that america could get 63 quality atheletes on par with atheltic potential of the average in the NBA today?\

Whatch film of Russel, he's an elite athlete,it's obvious now what would he look like if he had modern training methods, modern nutrition? The gap between him and the rest of the NBA would be close to the same IMO.

if anything playing in the 50's underrates his greatness.

Russel is the greatest defensive player to ever live. Period. It should be universal constant when discusisng basketball, like the speed of light it should be an unchangable constant.

The gap between him and everyone else is too big to made up by questions of the era he played in.

I wanted to get into this over the weekend, but not over my phone.

What Osh is saying is true. Russell/Wilt being as dominant as they were in that era, doesn't mean they wouldn't be just as dominant now. Just means they were ahead of their times. They'd likely be even MORE dominant today.

Look at Larry Bird. One of the "greatest shooters ever" His career high for 3's in a season is 98. Ninety. Eight.

Robert Covington made 167 last year.

Bird played in an era that didn't exploit the 3 point line. If he played today? With his stroke, his work ethic, his IQ, and ability to get the ball off, he figures to be much more in the 200+ 3's a year range, right?

If they had the skill back then, and had today's analytic s or technology or nutrition, etc, they would up their games even more across the board. Only way they wouldn't is if they were flat out lazy, and guys like Russell, Wilt, Bird, etc don't strike me (or anyone else) as lazy.

https://surveyplanet.com/5609682b77643d2472127d89

Poll is up. By all means, LTB, go out and spread the word to new NTers who haven't been following the thread. If people want to do a little write-up why their team should win the matchup, you can PM it to me and I'll post it so others won't know who your team is. Of course, all of us in here know everyone's teams.. but for those unaware it'll help keep the bias down.

We'd have 5 rounds to get through, so a couple of days should be plenty of time to vote on each round. 

Tryin to keep on newest page.

Voted. Many thanks for putting it together Big J

There are 3 extremely difficult match ups in there.

Request: if/when you write out the next round, can you make my lineup with PF Horace Grant / C Kevin McHale?

You really do have something to complain about... every time. The poll has been updated to reflect your PG change. I could always delete the whole thing and redo it because it might not 100% fair?

And as a heads up for everyone, the poll has a nice built in feature where it can tell if people are cheating and voting multiple times. It's only caught one instance of that, but it was someone voting 5 times or so. So let's not do that from here on out.

Last edited:
I added an email requirement to help cut that out, even though people can just give a fake e-mail. But it'll still show from what device, operating system, browser, and location, people are voting from. So it was pretty easy to spot and those votes were removed.

Last edited:
So as a heads up, if I change your starting line-up, it erases the previous votes that have already occurred. So I kept the J-Will line-up and added the Rose line-up, a vote for either team will both count towards the same team total of votes. That way I don't lose the votes entirely. I noticed the same thing for another line-up change and it's been adjusted and noted as well

I'll post all the results when it's finished, this was one of the free survey sites that was easier to work with but didn't give the option of seeing the live results after each vote. There's a good variety of results so far.. some people are running away with their matchup, some are winning comfortably, and others are neck and neck in votes.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom