NT's LEGAL Gun Thread UPDATE...First Youtube Firearm Review Page 61

Found a video about my rifle...the Panther Arms DPMS Mark 12 Special Purpose Rifle. 10,000 rounds without any cleaning...just lubed from time to time. No failure to feeds or jams. This is a direct impingement AR-15, not a piston operated one. Super accurate with a stainless steel heavy barrel that is free floated for greater accuracy, and a 1 and 8 twist in order to handle the heavier 77Grain 5.56 ammo for longer distance shooting. Nowadays you can get an AR-15 with the accuracy they are known for, with almost the same reliability as an AK-47. Not bad.

Here are my handguns
81235269e77443d8af9655963aa5f2267ffb9ee.pjpg

Glock 17
Walther P22
Walther PK380
Ruger 22/45

Next on my list is a 1911. Any recommendations??

I've had a couple of 1911's (hopefully, will have a few more)

If your looking for a 1911, obviously Kimber is a well respected name, because they make quality products. Only thing is your gonna pay for it, I think the lower end models come in somewhere around 900

Take a look at Taurus' PT1911, it's the next pistol i plan on getting. You can find them for around 500, and they come with a bunch of upgraded options like a combat beavertail and hammer, raised (glow in dark?) sights, ambidex safety. From what Ive heard, its a real good deal

Originally Posted by Dirtylicious

curious for you gun folks..

if you had to pick just ONE gun in each category what would you pick and why?

Handgun
Shotgun
Rifle
Sub-machine/Assault Rifle

please excuse my terminology if I didn't use them quite correctly

I'm also going to limit it to semi-affordable ones --
Handgun - Go right back to my Kimber 1911 Raptor. Shoots like a dream -- on target, even if I didn't practice shooting much.
Shotgun - Mossberg 930. I have a 500 now, have no problems with it -- would only want to upgrade to a semi-auto.

Rifle - Browning A-bolt - Reviews seem great. I've held one and messed with the action, but never shot. Since it is affordable and action is short with great reviews, it would (will) be my next purchase.

Assault - Sig556 - I'm a fan of Sig quality, and it's different than the AR15s. These are also going at a good rate, right now... 

Originally Posted by jaydunks

Here are my handguns
81235269e77443d8af9655963aa5f2267ffb9ee.pjpg

Glock 17
Walther P22
Walther PK380
Ruger 22/45

Next on my list is a 1911. Any recommendations??

if you've got the money, the damascus nighthawk is about the best gun i have ever shot. it will run you about 3-5k though (if i remember correctly).

Originally Posted by richiecotite

I've had a couple of 1911's (hopefully, will have a few more)

If your looking for a 1911, obviously Kimber is a well respected name, because they make quality products. Only thing is your gonna pay for it, I think the lower end models come in somewhere around 900

Take a look at Taurus' PT1911, it's the next pistol i plan on getting. You can find them for around 500, and they come with a bunch of upgraded options like a combat beavertail and hammer, raised (glow in dark?) sights, ambidex safety. From what Ive heard, its a real good deal
I'll second that advice richiecotite gave...Yes of course the Dan Wessons, Ed Brown, Wilson Combat, and Kimbers of the world are top notch 1911's...but you can still get a really good 1911 from Taurus and even the SPringfield Armory 1911 G.I. model which is a nice basic 1911 that you can build on.

Whatever one you choose I HIGHLY suggest you get the Wilson Combat magazines for it...they are highly recognized for being the best most reliable 1911 mags in the industry.

To the Good Nupe and any others with advice....

Im a big guy (6'4 320) and have big hands. Making my first purchase for a handgun. Ive been hearing the Glock 22 RTF 40 S&W would suffice. Of course I need to test them out before buying, but I was looking for some starting points. Going for my class at the end of the month. All help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Originally Posted by CJDynasty

To the Good Nupe and any others with advice....

Im a big guy (6'4 320) and have big hands. Making my first purchase for a handgun. Ive been hearing the Glock 22 RTF 40 S&W would suffice. Of course I need to test them out before buying, but I was looking for some starting points. Going for my class at the end of the month. All help would be appreciated. Thanks!
1906, check this out. You have an excellent starting point with the Glock 22...so I suggest that. Point blank you cannot go wrong with Glock. Another model of interest would be the Glock 21 SF. That's chambered in .45...and in my opinion .45 has a less snappier recoil than .40 (I have a .40 Beretta and I also have a .45 FNP-T and I am better with accurate follow up shots on my .45...but that can be a personal thing.).

I'll also suggest just for comparison reasons to check out the Springfield XDM in .40 or .45. Also of note is the Smith and Wesson M&P line...and last but not least the FN-FNP/FNX line.

Since you have big hands you don't have to worry about grip size, and you should also be able to conceal most of these pistols pretty well since like myself you are a not a small guy. For example I can conceal my full size FNP 45 Tactical with nothing but jogging pants and a untucked t-shirt.

Cliff Notes:
  • Glock 22 or 21 SF good choice.
  • Try a .45 as well .40 and see what you like the best
  • Alternatives are Springfield XDM, Smith and Wesson M&P, Fabrique Nationale FNP/FNX

EWD, Thanks for the great starting block! New to this whole thing, so it is all appreciated. Im trying to get the ball rolling on these things within the next day or so. Do you know anything about Ohio and its gun laws? I know you seem to be pretty knowledgable about other jurisdictions. Thanks man! BTW, hows the GS-govt gig working out for you? I think we started around the same time if I can remember.

I'd highly recommend to go with .40 caliber or .45 ACP. Those 2 calibers with Hollow point ammo are quite formidable. Of course a 9mm can still do the job but like I said earlier with you having big hands you wouldn't have a problem dealing with the larger handgrips that double stacked magazine 40's and 45's have.

Here is a pic to show you the difference in expansion with hollow point rounds: As you can see .40 and .45 definitely has a bigger and potentially more incapacitating wound channel ability.

Handgun_expanded_JHP.jpg

smokin.gif
CJDynasty wrote:

EWD, Thanks for the great starting block! New to this whole thing, so it is all appreciated. Im trying to get the ball rolling on these things within the next day or so. Do you know anything about Ohio and its gun laws? I know you seem to be pretty knowledgable about other jurisdictions. Thanks man! BTW, hows the GS-govt gig working out for you? I think we started around the same time if I can remember.

You are good in Ohio Ice man. They have some pretty good gun laws. You don't need a permit to buy or own a handgun, you don't even have to register it. You just need a concealed carry permit if you want to carry concealed. Here is Ohio's official link for concealed carry http://www.ohioattorneygeneral.gov/ConcealedCarry

Oh man I'm loving the gov't gig. I'm sure you are too. Check this out I may have to go down to Dayton for some training so if I do I'll be sure to let you know. Then we can politic and what not. Lot of stuff going down on that base that a lot of people don't know about. How you liking it so far?

^ Thanks fam! I appreciate the digging for me. Thats good to know. As I was told that I should buy before the class, so that I can do the course with my actual gun, not having to rent and all.

Definitely man!!! This thing is sweet. Im actually in training at DAU here in Dayton as I type this. Here for 4 weeks. Ill be back in training at the end of Feburary too! But yea man, lets connect if you get out this way! But the gig is sweet. I have some small complications with the program I am in (mostly because of me and my future ambitions though lol), but I can touch on that in detail later haha!

i just picked up my concealed carry permit for Ohio last week.
most concealed carry courses wont spend a lot of time "training" you on how to use your weapon, there are other courses for that. So having your specific handgun isnt a necessity...the concealed carry course will basically make sure you can hit a target (to pass the shooting test portion).
The course I attended provided a range of handguns in different makes/models/calibers and the ammunition was provided by the course...it was very helpful in making the decision on what handgun i wanted to own.
hope this helps
-sf77

-sf77

This was very helpful! If you dont mind me asking, what part of Ohio are you in? Also, how long was you course? Im trying to find some course down here in the Dayton area.

No doubt CJ...ahh the famous DAU...lol I took some classes at the one in Huntsville in 09. If you lucky you might have a little eye candy in your class.

On another note for all my AR-15 fans I have some good news. Y'all all know about the SBR's (short barrel rifles with barrel length under 16" which are hard to get because they require an ATF tax stamp)...well there is an LEGAL alternative...the AR-15 Pistol. These are not new but before since they used the direct impingement gas system they had that ugly buffer tube that stuck out the back (there are a few exceptions like the Olympic Arms Gas operated AR pistol). Now Rock River Arms created an AR pistol that uses the piston system. It can be registered as a pistol which means ultimately it can be legally concealed if you have a CCW. I'm seriously thinking about getting one and putting an EOTECH on top of it. Below is the pictures for it. Only $1399.

-sf77

This was very helpful! If you dont mind me asking, what part of Ohio are you in? Also, how long was you course? Im trying to find some course down here in the Dayton area.
I live just outside of Columbus.  
I took my concealed carry course at the New Albany Shooting Range.
All CCW courses have to be 12 hours total, and cover the permit training requirements...the class i took was (3) 4hr sessions in the evenings...but i also know that they offer weekend courses.

I enjoyed the course, staff, and facility so much  that I became a member at their range.
Below is a link to the description of there CCW course.
http://nasr.hostasaurus.com/TRAIN/CCW.html

Let me know if you have any other questions.
-sf77

Originally Posted by shoefreak77

-sf77

I live just outside of Columbus.  
I took my concealed carry course at the New Albany Shooting Range.
All CCW courses have to be 12 hours total, and cover the permit training requirements...the class i took was (3) 4hr sessions in the evenings...but i also know that they offer weekend courses.

I enjoyed the course, staff, and facility so much  that I became a member at their range.
Below is a link to the description of there CCW course.
http://nasr.hostasaurus.com/TRAIN/CCW.html

Let me know if you have any other questions.
-sf77
I checked into that Columbus one and it those seem really nice.  Problem is that it is 1.5 hours from me.  Thats a far travel.  I found this one here which is close to me:
http://www.miamivalleyshootinggroun...se-i-57.html?gclid=CPSX-orzxqYCFUS5KgodfzU2IQ

This one is a lot cheaper, but you must have your own ammo and handgun.  What do you think?

2011 shot show is upon us
keltec ksg is one of the new hot items being shown
this thing is ridiculous

^^^ That's awesome...good to see that along with the AA-12 that shotguns are starting to evolve somewhat. It looks quite ergonomic and modern without being too strange.

Back
Top Bottom