NT's Privacy Policy Discussion Thread

Hey everyone, I'm really glad we're able to discuss this. Your privacy and security are our priority here on NT. I think Methodical Management Methodical Management selected me to be a part of the team, even long after Huddler, because I share the concerns you, NT users, have. I don't want to be visiting any site that does any shady business so I'm going to be practicing what I preach. As of last night, NT is 100% GDPR compliant. Your policy prompts should be appearing only once the moment you logged in this morning.

I want to clarify that the only addition to the new Privacy Policy was this section:

GDPR Compliance

The European Union privacy law, the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), has taken effect on 25 May 2018. Pursuant to the GDPR, EU residents, may:

• Access the data that we keep about you. We may need to ask you to provide us certain credentials to make sure that you are an EU resident and you are who you claim to be. If you find that the data is not accurate, complete or updated, then you may provide us with the necessary information to rectify it.
  • Contact us if you want to withdraw your consent to the processing of your personal information. Exercising this right will not affect the lawfulness of processing based on your consent prior to its withdrawal.
  • Request to delete any identifiable personal information. [Please note that any request to delete your personal information will not delete any forum content you made in the past, however your public user profile page will no longer be active and you will no longer be able to post to the forums.]
    Please contact us via this form should you wish to exercise your rights under the GDPR.

Everything else about our Privacy Policy remained the same. Essentially, it means that if you are a valid EU citizen, we respect your rights. I hope that helped everyone who may be curious.

P.s. I've got a few kidneys in the basement. Anyone got a liver or heart to sign over to NT? (I'm kidding!) :lol:

why is every website and app doing this privacy notice crap? am I missing something in the news or should I just accept and not care

why is every website and app doing this privacy notice crap? am I missing something in the news or should I just accept and not care
Nt only site I accepted
Others I just haven’t visited after seeing notice
I think it’s the same Facebook ig and Twitter
Just sent out
I think it requires an update to accept
I haven’t updated them either

Great question. The simple answer is: if there's an EU user on the site, the GDPR applies. This is why you've seen dozens of Privacy Policy updates come in the few last weeks. If you noticed flood of emails coming in the last week, so have we. And a lot of folks don't realize this, but the United States will honor the EU ruling on this so we have to comply.

Our method is kinder because we aren't sending you tons of emails, only when you log into the site as a registered user will you receive the prompt.

Great question. The simple answer is: if there's an EU user on the site, the GDPR applies. This is why you've seen dozens of Privacy Policy updates come in the few last weeks. If you noticed flood levels coming in the last week, so have we. And a lot of folks don't realize this, but the United States will honor the EU ruling on this so we have to comply.

Our method is kinder because we aren't sending you tons of emails, only when you log into the site as a registered user will you receive the prompt.
Funny how the us picks and chooses what rulings to honor

Methodical Management Methodical Management im not sure if this is the topic for this but with the ruling about gambling is nt taking any steps towards or against the issue?

thanks for the insightful post and your continued support of our community
NikeTalk complies with the law. Users are free to discuss legal sports betting if they wish - there's already a large thread in the Sports & Training forum for that purpose.

Users may not, however, use the site to directly place or arrange sports wagers.

Funny how the us picks and chooses what rulings to honor
The US plays no direct role in the formation or enforcement of the GDPR. It is an EU regulation that we are voluntarily complying with, as we proudly serve community members and visitors in the EU.
So it's all @Belgium's Facebook's fault :lol:

Thanks for the extra info Steph and Meth :pimp:
Fixed.

so our posts become "property" of nt when we post but does it go the other way as a form of copyrighting ip?

like hypothetically if poster a is an average joe who posts an idea and poster b is a captain of industry who takes that idea

does nt serve as the middleman who brokers the sale of information or protects individuals intellectual property as we post?

or is it once we post we give up all rights to "ownership" of our thought?

edit: yea i was jus asking about gambling like if there would be a section for it akin to buy/sell

so our posts become "property" of nt when we post but does it go the other way as a form of copyrighting ip?

like hypothetically if poster a is an average joe who posts an idea and poster b is a captain of industry who takes that idea

does nt serve as the middleman who brokers the sale of information or protects individuals intellectual property as we post?

edit: yea i was jus asking about gambling like if there would be a section for it akin to buy/sell
I think In the tos
It stated nt has a non exclusive right
And that the poster is the copywriter I believe

This is the applicable passage from our terms of service:

You are granting us with a non-exclusive, permanent, irrevocable, unlimited license to use, publish, or re-publish your Content in connection with the Service. You retain copyright over the Content.
So if, for example, you post an amazing photo in the photography thread, that doesn't mean NikeTalk now owns your photo and can sell it. You retain the copyright.

Granting us a license to the content is what allows us to publish your posts on the website. If we ever need to move the site again, we'd need a license to re-publish the content.

This license is non-exclusive, meaning you're free to post your content elsewhere or sell it as you wish. If someone comes along and uses your photo or other content without consent, you retain the copyright and, thus, the right to have that copyright enforced by law.

Also note that we specify that these publication rights exist in connection with the Service. I can’t take your photo of Parrell at a stop light and sell it to a celebrity “news” site, put it on a T-shirt, or publish it on my hypothetical Handsome Boy Modeling School fan blog.

You'll find similar terms on any website or service that accepts user-generated content, as such terms make the publication of user-generated content possible.

and hypothetically if our data can be bought by advertisers then shouldnt there be some form of compensation for essentially free advertising by way of links images etc

like posting an ig or tweet is essentially advertising that service but they and other companies are free to buy and sell information for profit?

and hypothetically if our data can be bought by advertisers then shouldnt there be some form of compensation for essentially free advertising by way of links images etc

like posting an ig or tweet is essentially advertising that service but they and other companies are free to buy and sell information for profit?
There seems to be some confusion about what information we collect vs. what information third parties, like advertising networks, collect via cookies during a visit to NikeTalk.

For emphasis: NikeTalk does not sell user data to anyone for any purpose.

Even if Nelson and I were somehow forced to sell the site and the new owner wanted to change that policy - they would be obligated to notify you of any changes to the privacy policy in writing, like how you were informed of today's policy changes.

NikeTalk currently uses the Xenforo software platform. You can read more about the various cookies that platform utilizes here: https://xenforo.com/community/help/cookies/

tenor.gif

tumblr_mtcnp7bcJJ1schijgo1_500.gif

giphy.gif

But if i saw pharrell coming back, do i get the right to that picture?

If anybody needs some more expert info on this privacy policy , hit me up ...I specialize in IP and bird law

Back
Top Bottom